Would changing paint color ruin value?

• I tried to do a search on the forum to see if there were any threads about changing the factory paint color to another color, but I could not find any information about this subject. I have a numbers correct car, but I hate the factory exterior color. I would really like to paint my car with the factory candy apple red as this is my favorite 1966 ford color, but I would hate to decrease the value of my car because of a color change. I have the perfect opportunity to change the color now because the car has been taken down to metal and primed.

I appreciate any input that anyone may be willing to give me.

Thank you....

• My guess it would depend on your intentions, if you plan to keep it, paint it any color you like, if your looking for optimum resale value, keep it original.

• It's your car, so change the colour if you want. The only thing you must do is keep the original door tag on the car. My own personal feeling is I would keep the car original.

What colour is it anyway? If it's a rare colour, it might have a higher value.

Good luck.

Regards,

René

• You have a couple of considerations. First, if you want to show the car in MCA events you automatically lose 25 points for a color change from the original data plate. Second, if you ever have to sell it, would it be of more value to a potential collector, or someone who wants your choice of colors? A lot of the value in a K code is in authenticity.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I tried to do a search on the forum to see if there were any threads about changing the factory paint color to another color, but I could not find any information about this subject. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Actually we've had this question discussed here before several times. I don't know exactly what search terms you used to find the threads, but be sure to check the Archives as well as the current threads when searching. Here's one thread to get you started

Anyway, everyone's opinion is going to vary, and I think you must decide how "pure" you want your car to be. So-called "numbers matching" cars are valued at the top of the list by most accounts. Because of the classic styling of the original Mustang, it's hard to object to any of the factory colors in my opinion.

• One of my 1966 Kars was Sauterne Gold and I painted it as original. It looked good as the color goes but I never fell in love with it and eventually sold it as I wanted a different color. It was a really nice rust free Hipo GT black pony interior convertible and in retrospect, I could have painted it a different color and I may have kept the Kar. The keeper Kars that I have now are 1966 Hipo GT black pony interor fastbacks. One is Silver Frost and the other is Signal Flare Red. Both colors are more than acceptable in my book.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

One of my 1966 Kars was Sauterne Gold and I painted it as original. It looked good as the color goes but I never fell in love with it and eventually sold it as I wanted a different color. It was a really nice rust free Hipo GT black pony interior convertible and in retrospect, I could have painted it a different color and I may have kept the Kar. The keeper Kars that I have now are 1966 Hipo GT black pony interor fastbacks. One is Silver Frost and the other is Signal Flare Red. Both colors are more than acceptable in my book.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Fred, If you don't mind me asking, did you buy the silver frost Kar from Carl Lind in washington state?

• Fred,

66 paint code #5, Signal Flare Red is the most

beautiful Mustang color in my opinion.

When I repainted my 67 Lime Green Shelby in 1978

I opted for Signal Flare Red with GM White Le Mans

stripes. Came out absolutely stunning and is still

on the car today.

/Bo

Fred,

66 paint code #5, Signal Flare Red is the most

beautiful Mustang color in my opinion.

When I repainted my 67 Lime Green Shelby in 1978

I opted for Signal Flare Red with GM White Le Mans

stripes. Came out absolutely stunning and is still

on the car today.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

This must be a differant Bo than the one I know. The Bo I know spends days looking for just the right color to paint his shocks and hates it if the date on the coil dosen't match the car.

Larry

• In response to Brock, I bought my Silver Frost Kar about 24 years ago from the body shop manager at the L/M dealer where I was parts manager in Santa Monica. It is a local southern California Kar.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• It may or may not. Red is very popular. I think it depends on the original color of your car. If you have a Raven black car...DONT CHANGE IT...if it is Gold, Springtime yellow (I like it...but most don't) then I don't think the change will affect market value.

• My bottom line is that a Kar exactly as you want it today may or may not even exist. Then you have to figure out if it is a decent Kar and for sale at a price that works for you. The probability of all this falling into place is very slim. Your next option is to get one as close as possible to your desires and change whatever it is that does not work for you. I am only advocating reversible changes though. Color is one of those reversible, although costly, changes. If you are not trying to show your Kar in MCA shows, the only person you need to please is yourself.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

It's your car, so change the colour if you want. The only thing you must do is keep the original door tag on the car. My own personal feeling is I would keep the car original.

What colour is it anyway? If it's a rare colour, it might have a higher value.

Good luck.

Regards,

René

What colors are considered rare in the 64.5 cars?

• Here's another angle to consider: colors that are/were considered ugly look much better with today's paint makeup, ie, urethane, etc. when prepped and buffed properly. I'm not a fan of Springtime Yellow but I saw one recently that was repainted and it had really straight panels and tremendous depth to the paint. It was a stunner!

Greg Z

• [/quote]

What colors are considered rare in the 64.5 cars?

[/quote]

I would say Pagoda Green has to be at the top of the list. I had a an end of April 64.5 D code auto that was that color. You loved it or hated it, there was no it was OK.

• I've always wanted a '65 Rangoon red K convertible. My current '65 convertible's Wimbledon white is a nice color, but I sometimes feel I would enjoy the car more if it was red. A color change repaint at this stage would be expensive, plus I wouldn't want to destroy the car's history by changing colors from the original door dataplate. So for now I need to learn to love white and maybe a Rangoon red one will come my way.

• What is the original color ? I like seeing some of the (not so used) vintage colors especially useing the new urethane paints. Lots of people thought I was nuts to paint my K back Caspian Blue, me included but I love it. Its your car...Its your call.....Billy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!