Found my Build Sheet! K GT's vs Non GT

• My local mustang parts supplier is trying to tell me that by default All K Kars were GT's and if you wanted a non GT K you had to factory order the delete?

This seems very odd to me, and I think he might be on crack, does anyone have any idea what % of K Fastbacks were GT's in 1966?

My build sheet is in rough shape and the line worker was not shy to use lots of that tape, and sure enough the box that flags the GT status is damaged though i can definately make out something typed there... I also have a buck tag that has PIO...

From my build sheet I was able to confirm the car, which for some reason made me feel good... It's door tag info is correct and matches the build sheet, also it was optioned with Styled Steel Wheels, and Double Red-Lines, and a wood steering wheel. My car has a rally pack on it, and looks very original to the car, but I am not sure what box on the build sheet would have contained that.

I will look for a second build sheet this weekend.

Under Tires I have size C and Type 5

Under WHL CVR I have 3

Under OPTION SEAT/DELUXE STG WHEEL I have 7

Pretty sure in the GT GROUP box I have a 6 but its damaged.

I really like this new exhaust system you guys re-created, but I guess it would be really incorrect for my 13J build date?

• To answer my own question using this site, rally pack code is:

Emrg Flash/Tack TClock/ Vac Gauge/Rally Pac/Bmpr Step

7 = Rally Pac

And just like the GT box ( this one is right below ) this box is damaged by tape.

• You local parts guy is misinformed. The GT wasn't produced until March of 65 and there are a lot of K codes out there earlier than that.

• No info exists as to 66 K+GT; only percentages of the total build for GT's cars (which includes 'A' codes) for the entire year, and those are marketing figures, not actual assembly line data. The numbers 'talked' about are about 4.2 pct of the total of the 1966 build which was reported to be 607,568 cars. That would be about 25,518 cars with the GT option. You can figure the rest.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I will look for a second build sheet this weekend.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Just curious, what assembly plant built your car?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I really like this new exhaust system you guys re-created, but I guess it would be really incorrect for my 13J build date?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The Arvinode exhaust system was discontinued in early 1965, so it wouldn't be "correct" for a 1966 Mustang, but that doesn't mean you couldn't put one on your car...

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Just curious, what assembly plant built your car?

6T09K ( same as yours ) and I think only our plant used Buck Tags

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The Arvinode exhaust system was discontinued in early 1965, so it wouldn't be "correct" for a 1966 Mustang, but that doesn't mean you couldn't put one on your car...

Yes I am sorely tempted... sounds bada$$

Based on Registry Data, or factory ordering info still available, does it sound correct or incorrect, that by default 1966 K Codes were all GT's?

• Official Post

The information that you were given on GT "K" codes for 1966 is in error. A "K" code car was not a GT by default. There are plenty of non GT Hipo Kars that people own on this site alone. The only way that you could get the GT package in 1966 was with an "A" or "K" engine. I believe that is where the confusion lies for your local parts guy. He just has it backwards.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Where in the car did you find the sheet?

Jack

Taped to main harness behind guage cluster...

Noticed also a code for Tinted Front windshield today...

Where in the car did you find the sheet?

Jack

Taped to main harness behind guage cluster...

That's a typical place to find a build sheet on a Metuchen-built car. So far, I've found two build sheets in mine. One was neatly folded and tucked under a seat cushion spring, and the other one was taped to the wiring harness like yours was. Great stuff!

That's a typical place to find a build sheet on a Metuchen-built car. So far, I've found two build sheets in mine. One was neatly folded and tucked under a seat cushion spring, and the other one was taped to the wiring harness like yours was. Great stuff!

Front or rear seat?

• Hello all!I personally pulled a 66 NON_GT K code we bought from the original owner out of the weeds behind his barn,that he had sitting since the 70s!The 66 non -GT cars ARE very rare.But the option list shows that anyone could buy a NON GT K code after April 65.The non- Gts were a bit more expensive and most people opted for the GT package!Sure wish we had that Black 66 still!It was reportedly stolen in Fla years back!Too bad!

• Oh,by the way I meant that anyone had a choice to buy GT or not after April 65.I was not inferring that there were no NON-GTs before that.I happen to have one!

• I have two Dearborn Mustangs,a 1965 C code convertible and a 1966 K HiPo GT fastback. Neither one of them ever had a buck tag. I do know the later Dearborn cars had buck tags. I had a friend that owned a 1968 S code Dearborn GT Fastback that had a buck tag.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!