66 GT350 rebodied using 6F09K266629

• In my opinion, no and if it's registered under the Shelby Vin

it's probably illegal. If however, it's registered under it's

donor car serial number, it's probably okay.

/Bo

• I think that if you have two shelbys of the same year and build one car. that would constitute a rebodied Shelby. but taking a shelby vin # and applying that number to a non shelby car and selling it as

rebodied shelby is totaly BS. Maybe its in the shelby reg just for a

record of that spacific shelby vin

• The way that I read his post is that this car is the original Shelby that was damaged. Then the Shelby parts were taken off of this one and put onto a different donor car and the pony interior from that car ended up in this original Shelby.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>THE SHELBY WAS BADLY DAMAGED AND HE STRIPED ALL OF THE SHELBY PARTS, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL VIN PLATE, AND INSTALLED THEM IN A DONER CAR.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Sounds pretty clear that the original Shelby no longer exists and that everything was stripped off and put onto a non-Shelby K fastback.

Also, the car in the auction is "6F09k." All '66 Shelby's were built in San Jose...

Edited by - 66transam on 04/30/2008 20:35:50

• In my opinion, this car is a modified K code fastback with Shelby parts. The original Shelby is long gone.

If I were to aquire a Shelby vin and put it on my K code, would I then have a real Shelby? I think not.

Edited by - REAL K GT on 04/30/2008 22:12:25

Edited by - REAL K GT on 04/30/2008 22:13:05

• I agree with REAL K GT in that this should be considered a modified K-Code instead of a Shelby. I did e-mail the owner for some clarification and this is the donor car with the original Shelby parts installed. I do not know if the original Shelby was destroyed or not. Who knows! That original VIN could be floating around somewhere if any of the front apron or shock tower areas were salvaged. Car is in the SAAC Registry but no mention is made of it being rebodied. That info really should be in there especially since this owner has had this car for 20 years! It will be interesting to see what this car will fetch.

• It's not a Shelby, at least not the same one that was converted by Shelby American in 1966. In my opinion, this car is nothing more than a K code with Shelby parts, or simply a Shelby clone. If it was my car, the Shelby tag would come off and be sent to SAAC and indicate to them that the original car was destroyed.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The way that I read his post is that this car is the original Shelby that was damaged. Then the Shelby parts were taken off of this one and put onto a different donor car and the pony interior from that car ended up in this original Shelby.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Agreed. Why even bother mentioning what the original color was or what the mileage is. Both are totally irrelevant.

• I am surprised at what the car is fetching. The bid is too high for someone looking to restore a K code mustang. And someone looking for a gennie Shelby would not be looking at this car. My guess is that the winning bidder really doesn't care if it is a rebody or that he will take advantage of the discount and restore it to Shelby spec and sell it as a Shelby. Many owners don't have a problem with re-bodies as long as no one else is aware of it. This is why documentation (this includes the cars history) is so important when you spend the bucks on a collectable car.

• Official Post

From the description in the auction the seller is clearly representing this as a Shelby and not a Hipo Mustang. His statement that this car left the Torrance plant on May 16, 1966 is only true for the Shelby ID tag as most everything else Shelby appears to be non existant on this car. It does not even have the correct export brace. The seller now states that the gear box is not an alloy one as was first stated in the auction. Being that the original car was a Hertz model, it would have had an aluminum alloy trans but it would have been a three speed with a torque converter and not a 4 speed with a clutch. My take on this after reading the auction a number of times is that this car is originally a Hipo fastback with a pony interior as all of that looks correct. From the placement of switches on the dash it may have been a GT as well. Being as the seller is having a hard time reading the Ford VIN, it is clear to me that it is titled as a Shelby and not a Mustang. This is no different than taking a "K" VIN and title and putting it on a 6 cylinder car and calling it a Hipo. All of this represents fraud to me. There is at least one person on this site that has been a victim of this type of fraud.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

It's not a Shelby, at least not the same one that was converted by Shelby American in 1966. In my opinion, this car is nothing more than a K code with Shelby parts, or simply a Shelby clone. If it was my car, the Shelby tag would come off and be sent to SAAC and indicate to them that the original car was destroyed.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I TOTALLY agree with everything except sending the tag to SAAC. I'd rivet it to my Really Really Big Red Tool Box (which has it's own gravitational pull).

• OK, I emailed the seller and asked if the unibody of this car is the 6F09K donor car and what happened to the original 6S2073 unibody. Here is his reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Correct. We took off the Shelby plate and took a picture of that number. It looks like an attempt was made to alter the F at one time. Probably in the '70's when the car was rebuilt. We loosen the passenger side fender and I have pictures of that enclosed. My understanding is that there wasn't much left of the wrecked body. The engine was already gone. The rest of the Shelbly parts were taken off to be used on this car. It probably went to the crusher. The last digit is an 8. I will make a note of that on the listing today.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The pics he sent were just the fender VINs showing 6F09K266628.

Dave
    6S1757

• No it's not a Shelby... It's one step up from a outright clone, but in reality it's just a Mustang with nice parts on it. Only one (as I recall) '66 GT350 ever came with a pony interior so thats wrong, not to mention the rear wheel flares look terrible. Way too much explaining to do on that one for my taste.

-Greg

• To call this car a rebody is an overstatement. It isn't even a Shelby clone since it has so many deviations from original Shelby on both body and interior. It's a K code mustang (how much K stuff is even there??) with a Shelby tag that doesn't belong there. I would value it as a modified K code, hence not worth strong money compared to a stock K code.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!