Drum Brake Shoes

• I've looked for drum brakes shoes for my 66 9inch rear and Mustangs Unlimited has the rear brakes 10 by 1 3/4. I thought 65-66 K-code's had wider front and rear brake drum shoes? Do people order 67 shoes for a 66? Can anyone confirm the size I need? Thanks!

• HiPo's did not have special brakes.

All 289 cars used the same size brake shoes. Fronts and Rears are different sizes. 10 x 1 3/4 sounds correct for the rear - but it has been a while since I've changed them.

Only the GT350 had wider rear brakes added by Shelby - along with the front discs from the San Jose factory.

Edited by - RalphJr on 09/22/2009 08:55:16

• The front drums are the same as standard 8 cylinder Mustangs.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• All Shelbys have front disc brakes. I'm pretty sure the rear brake cylinders for 65-66 GT350 are the same as other V-8 Mustangs.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Interesting- What about the front and rear brake cylinders- same between a standard mustang, k-code and shelby?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Nope there were a number of different bore sizes used for standard Mustangs and K codes. Shelbys used Fairlane big rear brakes (believe those wheel cylinders were 15/16")

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Interesting- What about the front and rear brake cylinders- same between a standard mustang, k-code and shelby?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Nope there were a number of different bore sizes used for standard Mustangs and K codes. Shelbys used Fairlane big rear brakes (believe those wheel cylinders were 15/16")

yes, they were 15/16" on my car.

Z. Ray

• If I don't recall wrong the original part numbers for rear brake cylinders on 65-67 Shelbys were C3O something.

Have a chart specifying all Shelby rear brake parts somewhere.

/Bo

• The 65/66 Shelby rear wheel cylinders are a C3OZ 2261 A for the right hand side and C3OZ 2262 A for the left hand side. They are indeed a 15/16" diameter bore.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I have Shelby 6S137 a carry over car and I need a pair L & R wheel cyl , if I go to the parts store and ask for 66 fairlane 15/16" will that be enough imfo for then to get the C3 wheel cyl.

• Be advised that most auto parts stores do not have a computer listing on vehicles before 1967 and usually do not stock parts that were used exclusivly before that year.

Jim

• 15/16" wheel cylinders are easy to find. Go to RockAuto.com and look under 1963 Ford Fairlane. Under wheel cylinders you have your choice between Dorman and Raybestos. Here are the part numbers:

Dorman: W59240 (L.H.), W59241 (R.H.)

Raybestos: WC17509 (L.H.), WC17510 (R.H.)

Cost is less than $7 each. I use these all the time on a 1963 Fairlane station wagon. They are used on the rear of all 1963-69 Fairlane station wagons.

So is it a worthwile mod to fit the larger cylinders to improve the rear brakes ?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote><font face='Comic Sans MS'>I believe it could be a worthwhile mod. In my case I went to 2-1/2 drums, ala the Shelbys and that made a noticeable difference.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• Just ran across an article in an early issue of "The Shelby American" (Vol. 4, Number 5, October 79) that has some conflicting info on 65-66 GT350 brakes. It lists the following:

- C3OZ-2261-B Cylinder Assay, Rear Brake, R.H., 29/32 dia, (2 white dots)

- C3OZ-2262-A Cylinder Assay, Rear Brake, L.H., 29/32 dia, (2 white dots)

Based on the discussion here the RH suffix ( and both bore diameters are wrong, is that correct?

Dave
    6S1757

• The "B" suffix is a 29/32" cylinder. If the article listed the "A" suffix as a 29/32" cylinder, the article is incorrect. The "A" suffix is definitely a 15/16" cylinder.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!