Firewall insulation plug?

• Thanks for the reply.

I found them in an box with unmarked box of spare hardware that came with the car when I bought it a few years ago. The inulation plugs I got from NPD, when I bought the firewall blanket, are molded plastic and really don't fit very good. They're bigger in diameter.

Sorry I only have 9.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...and I believe it's a firewall insulation...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yup and you're a lucky dude.

The plastic ones work, but I had to shave the sides down - I think Murph told me to do that. But, it looks like you have the real thing.

• That plug looks the same as the ones for my '57 T'Bird. They are available from "little Bird" parts suppliers, including NPD. Part # T-01605-2K (a kit w/11 pieces). They are metal, like the originals.

regards,

Jeff

• I was wondering what the consensus is on the finish of these plugs? I have seen a few 1966 GT350's with a olive colored finish on them and a few SJ mustangs with a black finish.

Joe.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I was wondering what the consensus is on the finish of these plugs? I have seen a few 1966 GT350's with a olive colored finish on them and a few SJ mustangs with a black finish.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I would choose the phoshated color/finish

I was wondering what the consensus is on the finish of these plugs?

I still have some of my originals (what is left of them) and they are black, but I cannot swear that they were originally black.

• Their Ecoated. A friend of mine is the ecoat chemical engineer at PPG and we have taken a bunch of original parts to PPG an had them annalyzed up in cleveland at the PPG paint group and they were originally ecoated as ecoating has been out since the 1920's

• Official Post

Nate, An explanation of what Ecoating is and how it is done would be of interest to all of us I am sure. I personally have never heard of that process before and I am certainly up for learning something new.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• FWIW: Nate tells me that the convertible top frames are Ecoated (at least on the early Mustangs) he has a guy who works for him does all the nessessary parts with the Ecoating process....I take this to mean Electro-Coating??? not real sure of exactly what the process entails, but Nate explained to me that lots of restorers just powder coat the top frames instead of going to the trouble of finding an Ecoater in their area.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!