Hipo Serial Numbers

• I heard through numerous shop chat sessions that all "K" engines

were serial numbered according to the number that they were built. #1

engine, #2 engine, etc. Is anyone aware of this and if so, where does one look to find the consecutive number? Or could this be another one of those Ford stories. This was suppose to be stamped in addition to the engine vin stamping? I've looked at two "K" code blocks that I have and I can only see an additional date stamp on the oil pan rail surface (flat surface) just above the block casting number. Any other comments?

• It is known that the early <i>5 bolt</i> 289 HiPo engines were serialized by Ford. These numbers were possibly used by Ford to help with quality control issues. Bob Mannel has been gathering a census of surviving numbered 5 bolt HiPo engines, and has compiled this data as part of his ongoing research into 289 HiPo engine production. CLICK HERE for a link to a post he started several years ago regarding this subject.

• " I heard through numerous shop chat sessions that all "K" engines were serial numbered according to the number that they were built. #1

engine, #2 engine, etc. Is anyone aware of this and if so,"

Never heard that story. Believe you will find that if stamped they were stamped with the car's VIN at the car assembly plant.

Engines were stamped with the date and the assembler maybe that is what the "stories" miss interpreted

• I have heard that too. I think there was a blurb in the Fairlaner about it. After reading it, I went out and looked at mine and sure enough it had a # stamped there. I will try to post a photo later. When the weather is a little warmer.

Larry

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

From what I under stand this was done before Ford started stamping VIN #s on the blocks. Mine was the 920th HIPO made.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's right, Larry. Thanks for posting the picture which clearly shows the serial number stamped on your engine. Here's a picture of the serial number stamped on one of Bob Mannel's 5 bolt HiPo engines...

<center>

</center>

• "The stamping is on the boss just above the Z-bar mounting stud. "

Where exactly is this? I'm trying to look on my 65k Fastback GT. I'd be interested to know if I have a block number or not. Does anyone know when they stopped?

• I don't believe you'll find it on your Mustang block, unless it's a transplant. I believe the sequential numbering was discontinued by the time the Mustang production began, then switching to the VIN's being stamped above the pan, although there might be a few very early ones.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I believe the sequential numbering was discontinued by the time the Mustang production began, then switching to the VIN's being stamped above the pan, although there might be a few very early ones.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

So far, there's no reason to rule out the Mustang 5 bolt K engines. It's quite likely that these engines will have a serial number (like the ones pictured above) stamped on the block. If any members here own an early K Mustang with a 5 bolt engine, check to see if yours has a serial number stamped on the driver's side just above where the Z bar attaches.

• If you locate a sequential number on your block could you please forward the number and the assembly date stamped on the block to either me, at ltatro@verizon.net, or the Fairlane Club of America. Bob Mannel has been compiling the numbers and dates and would surely appreicate any added information.

• I have accummulated three dozen sequential serial numbers for early 289 HiPo blocks (and always looking for more). The numbers support Ak Miller's statement that 1,500 engines were made in 1963 -- most going into Fairlanes. To date, every 1963-64 engine I have found that can be athenticated as a 289 HiPo has had the sequential number. The number was also painted in the bellhousing area of the block, which was lost the first time the block was chemically dipped. About the time the Mustang HiPo was introduced, Ford began stamping the VIN on the block. Until I get some confirmed data from 64½ Mustang HiPo engines, I can't confirm these 5-bolt engines will have the sequential number. I have never seen a 1965 (6-bolt) HiPo with a sequential number, and believe that by that time the sequential numbering was abandoned in favor of VIN stampings.

• My 64.5 K coupe mustang has the number 81 or maybe 18 depends on how it was stamped. I tried to take a picture but with the headers there I was not to succesful. Laki

• Hello guys.

I was told yesterday that my 67 Fastback had a K-code engine in it by the previous owner. This caught me by suprize and not knowing what that meant I came to this lovely site to find out more. After reading a little I was pretty excited about the notion of having a K-code engine.

So I went out the garage and rolled out the engine and stand. I began cleaning, scrubing, and searching for any of the #s y'all talk about. I couldn't find anything, so figured I must have been told false information. The only #s I saw were CAST (not stamped). They were: 0 C80E-6015-A or maybe 0 080E-6015-A. Just above that was a cast #: 8F7.

Don't know what any of that means, but I'd assume it's not a K-code, probably just some early 80s replacement block, don't you think? You guys seem to know this stuff inside and out.

Thanks,

JLowe

Edited by - JLowe on 04/18/2007 06:48:49

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!