Disc Brake Proportioning valve??

• I am being advised by my restorer that I should not drive my car very far with the NEWLY REBUILT ORIGINAL disc brake proportioning valve installed due to the fact that it is not reliable, I was supplied an aftermarket valve in the glove box.....

Has anyone experianced failure with one of these valves correctly rebuilt??

• First, I would look for a new 'restorer'. Second, there is a noticable failure of rebuilt proportioning valves, maybe one percent, probably less. They don't have catastropic failures, they just leak a little bit. I brake shop where I had mine done said this to me and said check it once in a while. If you don't see a leak, don't worry about it.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

First, I would look for a new 'restorer'.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

X2, I have rebuilt afew and driven many miles with some that leak. I would trust a rebuilt Ford unit much more than some aftermarket part.

Larry

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am being advised by my restorer that I should not drive my car very far with the NEWLY REBUILT ORIGINAL disc brake proportioning valve installed due to the fact that it is not reliable, I was supplied an aftermarket valve in the glove box.....

Has anyone experianced failure with one of these valves correctly rebuilt??

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

If your restorer made a general statement he's entitled to his opinion. If he had a specific reason relative to your car then perhaps you should listen to his advice i.e. he doesn't trust the party that did the rebuilding. There are many disc brake cars on the road with properly rebuilt proportioning valves. Very few can be rebuilt successfully without stainless steel sleeving to repair the pitting from rust in the cylinder bore.

• I have been driving on one that I rebuilt using the Cobra Automotive parts for the last 12 or maybe 15 years with nothing but safe stops. I use DOT 5 brake fluid and change it every two years and have had no trouble with the prop. valve nor the four piston calipers. If you used the correct parts and put them in properly using a non pitted casting there is no reason you should not have years of service. I once tried a Scott Drake kit but it was short an item and one of the "D" rings was the wrong size. When I called them they said I was the only one who had ever had that experience (sound familiar?) and probably didn't kow how to install the parts. I tossed it in the garbage and got one from Cobra that fit, was complete and has given years of service.

Very few can be rebuilt successfully without stainless steel sleeving to repair the pitting from rust in the cylinder bore.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

IMO this is the important point. I rebuilt mine with a Cobra Automotive kit and it was a nightmare. Nothing wrong with their kit but I believe very minor corrosion caused some scoring on disassembly. When I put it back together the rear brakes would lock, I'm certain the scoring, though not visible, caused the cylinder to jam and locked the brakes. Ended up having it professionally resleeved/rebuilt.

Dave
    6S1757

• Guys, Thanks for the great replies! I will keep watch of my valve, so bottom line if my pedal feels solid and I see no external leaking its ok?

What about the disc brake master cylinder?? is there much trouble "in the feild" with these failing? (a new reproduction)

The first one that my restorer put on was defective out of the box and acording to him wouldn't pump fluid.....

• i had valves fail both rebuild by local brake shop that work on older cars t-birds stangs camaros ect. the last one that failed caused me to hit a curb and bend tie rods.now i use the new style if you are running on rebuilt make sure e-brake works well;

• I rebuilt my original valve and it leaked a few months later. I then sent it to White Post Restorations. They sleeved it and put it together backwards such that it locked up the brakes the first time I backed out of the garage. I sent it back to them and they re-assembled it, but six months later it leaked again. A total waste of $200. I pulled it out and installed a dual chamber MC, adjustable rod and Willwood valve from Cobra Automotive. Eight years later and I couldn't be happier.

I rebuilt my original valve and it leaked a few months later. I then sent it to White Post Restorations. They sleeved it and put it together backwards such that it locked up the brakes the first time I backed out of the garage. I sent it back to them and they re-assembled it, but six months later it leaked again. A total waste of $200. I pulled it out and installed a dual chamber MC, adjustable rod and Willwood valve from Cobra Automotive. Eight years later and I couldn't be happier.

White Post did my valve but they must have had a learning curve on how to rebuild these. I've heard of several people who had them rebuild theirs prior to mine and had problems. Mine has been rock solid for the past five years including at least one open track. Cobra Automotive recommended them to me after I had problems rebuilding mine with their kit.

Dave
    6S1757

• How are the NOS ones protected internally? Prefilled with brake fluid or something else? Just curious since it seems if they have brake fluid in them there could be a fair amount of corrosion from sitting around all these years collecting moisture.

Dave
    6S1757

• I used White Post Restorations for my prop valve four years ago. They were recommended by a few members of this site. I found their service outstanding and I've had zero issues. I'd use them again without question.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!