Greetings Bob Mannel

• Bob Mannel,

Welcome to the HiPo exchange. Thanks for all your help and willingness to share info during the restoration of my motor. Your book is the encyclopedia of small blocks and an invaluable reference.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Bob Mannel,

Welcome to the HiPo exchange. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> Ditto!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Your book is the encyclopedia of small blocks and an invaluable reference.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>Agreed. Here's the link for anyone who doesn't already have one. It's a must have for us SBF nuts.

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/index.html

• Thanks for the friendly welcome. My association with the 289 HiPo goes back to 1968. I was ready to buy my first car and all I could afford in the used car market was a Fairlane in the 1962-63 vintage. I had $650 to play with. A friend of mine had the 1963 Ford Buyer's Guide which showed the engines available for the 63 Fairlane. That's where I saw my first picture of the 289 HiPo. It was just a beautiful-looking engine! But, when I found one the price was $1,300 -- well out of my price range. I settled on a 1962 Fairlane with a 221 V8 -- I absolutely hated 6-cylinder cars because that is what my father always bought. It was not long before the 221 got an Autolite 4100 and cast iron intake from a Mustang and a open-style air cleaner from the local auto store. What a great sound to hear the air being sucked by the 221 under load -- which was often for such a small V8. Next I added the 289 HiPo exhaust manifolds and exhaust system which I bought new at the local Ford dealer in Pensacola, Florida, for $110 -- those were the days! The Arvinode system was music to my ears. In a few years the 221 worn out, so I replaced it with a 289. The 289 got the C9OZ cam and dual point conversion via my local Ford dealer. But, the 62 Fairlane was rusting out, so I next bought a 63 Sports Coupe and moved all the engine stuff to the 289. By this time I had located a close-ratio T-10 4-speed and 3.89:1 9" rear from a butchered 64 K-code Fairlane. This was the mid-70s and many a K-code Fairlane was scrapped to support the growing popularity of the K-code Mustangs. So, I had my clone and had a blast driving this car to the base everyday.

But, along the years I did come across many more K-code Fairlanes. Today I have two that are awaiting a time for restoration. Seems I pick up the neglected orphans. One is a 1963 Fairlane 500 4-door sedan (3K42K) with 3-speed column-shift and 3.89:1 rear. The other is a 65 Fairlane Sports Coupe (5A47K) with C4 automatic and 3.50:1 rear.

But, 289 HiPos have fascinated me, and I love the lines of the 64½-66 Mustangs (had a 64½ 260 V8), the 64-65 Comets (had a 64 and a 65), and the 64-65 Falcons. And, yes, there were K-codes in 64 & 65 Comets (special order only) and about seven to eight Canadian 65 Falcons.

You might say that this engine is my passion!

• Bob,

Thanks for providing one of the few references in this hobby that is pretty much an absolute due to your work and research. Unfortunately, alot of the books we have available to us are often not well researched and open to challenge. I am a member of this forum and a couple of other mustang forums. Anytime anyone posts "According to Bob Mannel's book....", the information is always considered correct and definite. Thank you again for providing a resource that I think stands head and shoulders above almost all others.

• Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Hipo forum. I too am a big fan of your book. I have personally had seven Hipo Mustangs and three Hipo Fairlanes. I still have two Hipo Mustangs and one Hipo Fairlane. I have steered a number of people your way to buy your "bible" book. I am thankful that you put so much effort and dedication into your book. Some of the information in your book seems to be unattainable anywhere else.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Welcome Bob!

You just sent me an autographed copy of your book a couple weeks ago, appreciate you taking the time to sign it for me. Fantastic book!

It's great to have you on board here, your knowledge of these engines is second to none.

Merlyn

• Welcome Mr. Mannel

I will be calling shortly to order your book.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Welcome Bob,

I'll order your book today.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I have never met Mr. Mannel But have read alot of his wrightings. It would be interesting to get Bo and Bob together. They could talk about details for years on end!!!!

Larry

Edited by - 63Kcode on 02/28/2007 20:16:17

Edited by - 63Kcode on 02/28/2007 20:21:50

• Glad to have you aboard Bob. I've had your book for a couple of years now and it's always the first place I look for answers. I'm already thinking up more questions!

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• I'm fortunate to live only a few miles from Bob Mannel. I've visited his home and toured his workshop. He is a very accommodating person and truly has a passion for the Ford small block.

Welcome and thanks Bob for your <i><b>invaluable</i></b> book and contribution to the hobby!

• Welcome, Bob. We have some history, as that early 4-door Fairlane came from me. You came out to the ' country ' and bought that beauty, showing your knowledge and passion to me and I am pleased you still have it. Of course, I have your wonderful book, a must for any hipo fan. I hope you find the <i></i><i></i><i></i> helpful and fun.

Duncan

• Duncan, Thanks for the welcome! I see your old car most days, as it rests in my garage. I remember pulling out an old honest's nest the size of a football from the back of the front seat shortly after I got it home. So, there was a time while it was sitting in a field I would not have wanted to look it over too closely! Many of the HiPo engine parts photographed for my book came from its motor. The motor also made the round to many a show and swap meet while I was promoting the book. I had it mocked up exactly as it would look when restored and installed back in the car.

• Welcome to the site Bob. We are a Mustang site, but welcome all Ford lovers. And we have seen from your work that you have a passion for the small block Ford and whole heartily welcome you aboard!

• Got the book today and it's absolutely

awsome. Will read it from page to page.

How many years of research and experience

are behind this book can only be guessed.

Thanks,

/Bo

• Bob, your book has served me well also.Did a 64 Fairlane K and a 65 mustang K, your book has been invaluable. ( PRICELESS) Thanks for all your help. Welcome Aboard.. Joe A...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!