Arvinode system reproduction

• I am working with a custom exhaust manufacturer to reproduce the early Arvin system and would like to know if any of you would be interested. I'm not sure what they're going to cost, but the more the merrier to reduce the expense and I think they will be reasonable. We have yet to get any engineering drawings and are working from photos accumulated from various contributors to the topic over the past few years. Thanks.

• Hi!I haven't ascertained if my Jan 65 K is an ARVINODE car but I believe it is in the range.Also NPD is looking to reproduce this system as well,and are looking for parts and diagrams.Maybe I'll crawl under and check this weekend.My car has some of the original exhaust hangers.I am interested in this system,Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!RANDY

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What would be the chances of getting some sound clips from the mufflers they are considering?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That wouldn't be possible without a correct installation on a hipo.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Hi!I haven't ascertained if my Jan 65 K is an ARVINODE car but I believe it is in the range.Also NPD is looking to reproduce this system as well,and are looking for parts and diagrams.Maybe I'll crawl under and check this weekend.My car has some of the original exhaust hangers.I am interested in this system,Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!RANDY

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I was one of the people pushing NPD to pursue this and they were interested, but not actively pusruing it. Motive Industries builds NPD's transverse system and they were not interested when I spoke with them last.

Someone else may have more precise data, but the Arvin system was generally installed from Oct '64 through Feb/Mar '65. It replaced the early transverse dual system and then was superseded by the GT duals.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I'd be interested.

Would your manufacturer be able to reproduce the quinkie tube mufflers, or would you just use glasspacks or something like that?

The intermdiate pipe and the long muffler in that section will be prototyped. The tail end resonator with the welded turn-down will be easier. There has been no success in getting Ford to release engineering drawings yet, but some photos do exist thanks to board members.

If any of you suspect you have Arvin hangers please take pics and post them or email them.

Charles - how about a good pic and some measurements of your NOS band clamp? They are willing to reproduce them with the sheetmeal screw if we can get the right width and end details.

Edited by - round2K on 12/14/2007 15:31:28

• Here is a picture of both left and right NOS FoMoCo arvinode hangers.

The tailpipe hanger uses a piece of whitewall from a goodyear power cushion tire. The tailpipe hanger is not FoMoCo, but is an old stock replacement part, probably made at the same stamping plant.

[Blocked Image: http://i5.tinypic.com/7wefuhe.jpg]

Edited by - toolbox on 12/15/2007 04:45:19

• Perhaps I don't understand your question. Can a recording be made once the system is built; yes. Can they provide sounds "from the mufflers they are considering"; I'm not sure what the value would be in trying to hear the sound of different pieces individually. The various components have yet to be combined and assembled on a car with a hipo motor so the answer, if you really want to hear the real deal, is no.

• The Ford TSB for fixing excessive noise complaints states that the system was on Derborn and Metuchen cars built prior to April 2, 65 and San Jose cars prior to April 4, 1965. I suppose these would then be reasonbly accurate dates for the introduction of the GT dual system to replace the Arvinode.

Edited by - round2K on 12/15/2007 08:44:33

• Ford stated in their TSB that they would replace the intermediate mufflers in the event that the customer found the noise objectionable.

As far marketing the system to end users, that's beyond the scope of my effort. My car had the system originally and the system has yet to be reproduced. The system was used on hipos for a period of roughly 6 months, so there isn't a big market for it. I'm not in the exhaust business either, I'm an enthusiast, so it's a challenge to undertake reproducing something like this without the help of others to piece together the components. We have yet to find a car with a complete intact Arvinode system in place, so I've never even heard one. If it's loud and badass (as I've been told) I can live with that. It will certainly distinguish the non-GT Arvinode hipos from all the others:)

• Update:

The development of the front muffler is in the prototype stage now. There are several people trying to get engineering drawings from Ford through different means, but still no headway. I have a tentative date for test fitting the system in late February. Thanks to Bob Mannel, Charles Turner and Karl Seifert for contributing to the research.

Edited by - round2K on 01/21/2008 06:03:22

• The prototype work continues! There is still much work to do, but it is progressing steadily along. I will be test-fitting the basic parts on my 65 fastback next week, then return them to the fabricator for detailing including the upper resonator tube, fine tuning the fit and sorting out of brackets. Those of you that have NOS clamps could help the effort if you are willng to provide them for measurement.

The Ford Benson Research Center said they don't have the engineering drawings any more. If anyone has a connection at Ford and can help with an inquiry through internal channels it would be appreciated.

For those that are intereseted in the system, the fabricator may work out distribution through NPD. I am intereseted in this for my own car as it was orignally an Arvinode. If you are interested I will add your name to the list and pass it on when the system is ready to go. Thanks to Charles, Bob and Karl for contributing images, parts & constructive criticism.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1331/directionallouveredtubeol8.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2487/endviewreversiblelouvernn0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8053/img1693is0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2962/img1694pi5.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/525/img1695fh4.jpg]

• I ran an Arvinode system on an early Fairlane from 1972 through 1977. At the time I had a 1962 Fairlane and wanted dual exhaust, so I went down to my local Ford dealer and bought the 289 HiPo exhaust manifolds, H-pipe, and both Arvinode muffler assemblies brand new from Ford (for $110 -- those were the days when $110 was a lot of money). I know what it sounds like. Few today would find the noise objectionable. A low rumble would best describe it. Noise level at cruise would make listening to the radio a bit strong on bass! My wife always thought it was too loud, but I thought it was about right for projecting what a car with muscle should sound like. I also liked that fact that when you got into the throttle in a big way, the noise level did not become poppy like straight cherry bombs would do. The rumble just got more intense, but stayed low in frequency. I think the rear resonators really helped eliminate the popping and kept the tone mellow. These were the days of leaded gas and for those fondly remembering those high-octane days have probably forgotten how hard it was on the exhaust. In five years the mufflers had rotted from the inside out. When I removed the system, I saved the resonators for a long time, but they rotted out in dry storage. I managed only to save the pipe sections which held up well.

In case you are wondering, I was running the system behind a 289 4V with C9OZ Muscle Parts cam (hydraulic version of the HiPo), special valve springs and hardened retainers, and dual point conversion kit -- all from my local Ford dealer. The rear was a 3.50:1 (8" at the time). I was shifting with a close ratio T-10 with Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Engine was probably putting out about 250-260 hp max at 5500 rpm (estimated, never tested).

Anyway, I can say that having lived with the system in a daily driver for 5 years, the system was awesome-sounding!

• Bob's story matches my memories of the sound of a HiPo Arvinode system. I ran one on my '64 Fairlane with a factory K engine that I bought over the counter in 1969. The sound was truly unique, and I'll always remember the authoritative "rap" that came out of the tailpipes when I fired the engine up. When the engine tached up it was loud, but not "false" like the typical glasspack mufflers were.

Later, in 1974, I purchased another set of Arvinode pipes from Ford to install on my '65 Comet Cyclone, which had an "A" code 289 built to HiPo specs with the solid lifter cam and GT-40 valves. It had the same distinct sound as the Fairlane, and I guarantee there is nothing that matches that sound on any other factory exhaust system.

• After doing a little research on the Arvinode mufllers here's what I've come up with-

The Arvinode's didn't use the conventional methods of exhaust silenceing like absorbtion (glasspacks) or baffles (traditional chambered muffler), but instead used what is known as a Herschel-Quincke tube. That's kind of like a 1/4 wave tuner. Or a trombone slide. That is what the little tube that runs along the top of the mufflers was for.

The way I understand it, the wavelength of the particular frequency that was to be silenced is calculated out, and the tube is one quarter the length of the wavelength. The tube is connected to the exhaust pipe at the front, but dead-ends at the back. So, the sound wave goes into the tube, travels 1/4 of its length and at the back of the tube it is reflected back to the entrance of the tube traveling another 1/4 of its length. Now, the wave has traveled a total of 1/2 of its wavelength. It is now 180 degrees out of phase with the original wave, and through a process known as "destructive interference" the sound waves cancel eachother out.

This is the same thing that happens if you wire a set of speakers, and one is wired backwords, they go out of phase, and the volume ends up quieter.

I have never actually seen an Arvinode system in person, but I have seen this type of exhaust system (Herschel-Quincke) on large, indoor, V-12 diesel generator motors. In those instances, the tube is actually perpendicular to the exhaust system. It probably works better that way, but would be totally impractical for automotive use.

I believe this is what gave the Arvinodes their distinctive sound, but I would have no idea whatsoever on how to calculate wavelength, pipe length/diameter, or how to assemble such a device onto the muffler. But I do think that the little tube is the key to the whole system.

I'm sorry if this info is too little too late for round2K's current project, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.

My disclaimer: I've never designed a muffler or worked in a muffler factory. I'm not a scientist, acoustical engineer, or anything like that at all. The top end of my acoustical knowledge comes from being a music minor in college, so please keep that in mind. I've been wrong before, so I might be totally off-base with this too. But it does seem plausible to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!