Paint seuqence

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

.......... How do you guys suggest I go about this? I don't want to get black overspray all over the nice white paint job, but masking it will be too sharp of a line. Should I just use a brush with some flat black enamel over the white? I imagine spray paint would have too much pressure to avoid the overspray....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Use a method referred to as backwards masking where the edge of the masking tap is bend back towards itself (no folded!!!!!)

This produces a soft edge rather than the sharp edge like you see on cars above. Paper/mask off the area above (also mask off the front fender edge if the fender is installed) and shot the pinch weld and bottom of the rocker panel with a can of semi-gloss black (rattle can) pressure will be a minimum and you will not get any overspray if you paper the area and point the nozzle the right direction

Seen owners do this on the show field and in the parking lot - you can do it

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

How about that 3M foam masking? That might be easy - wonder what kind of edge you actually get.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote><font face='Comic Sans MS'>I was looking at that product a few weeks back. I would expect a 'soft' transition similar to 'backtaping'. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

• Orange peel is a "clumping" of paint usually in an area where too much has been sprayed and it looks like the surface of an orange. My 65 and 66 Fastbacks have it around the vents. The factory allowed a certain amount as acceptable, as does MCA. It takes a real good painter today to duplicate it. The paint back then was enamel.

Jim

• thanks

they talk about BC/CC

i take it this means base coat/clear coat

were the original cars painted w/primer and just base coat only

ie w/o the clear coat?

iowa

Edited by - iowa on 10/16/2010 05:53:42

two questions...

WHAT IS ORGANGE PEELING?

is there a similiar explantion on paint on this forum?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Here is an example of what it looks like

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/Original%20Uni-body%20%20Pictures/3F03F262956orangepeel4.jpg]

• Was pinch weld painted all the way to the front or masked off etc.from doors back?Did they do this on all Dearborn,San Jose and Metuchen plant cars?

Edited by - lscman on 07/08/2011 21:01:25

Was pinch weld painted all the way tp the fron or masked off etc.from doors back?Did they do this on all Dearborn,San Jose and Metchen plant cars?

Typically full length of the rockers and done before the front fenders went on. It was generally thought that only light color cars had this done, but a lot of medium to dark colors have been found with it also. I'd apply it to pretty much every color except black. The bottom edge pinch weld of the rear quarters was supposed to be blacked out also. Some cars had this, some didn't.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!