Paint seuqence

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Generally in this order:

-Primer

-Interior Color (dash, A-pillars and doors)

-Exterior Color

-Engine Bay

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Then the pinch weld, on light color cars.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

When was the under carriage painted? First?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Based on my personal observations, the under side of the car was sprayed with gun fixtures first, then the rest of the car was hand done where necessary. After that, sealer primer (usually gray) was used on all exterior facing surfaces, all pot metal pieces were only primed with sealer primer.

Doors, trunk lid and rear valence were in place when exterior painted. Valence would have a couple up to all of the top screws installed prior to paint depending on the assembly plant. Have seen some cars that had the quarter extensions installed prior to paint.

Been seeing more and more dark(er) color cars with pinch weld blackout. Don't think it was only exclusive to light color cars, although I know that's what is printed in the MCA rulebook. The '65 K convertible I'm currently restoring is originally vintage burgandy, the pinch weld was blacked out on it, quite clearly. Keep in mind that pinch weld was blacked out prior to the front fenders going on.

Been seeing more and more dark(er) color cars with pinch weld blackout. Don't think it was only exclusive to light color cars, although I know that's what is printed in the MCA rulebook. ..................

+1

• The pinch weld is the part of the rocker panel where it is spot welded to the inner rockers and floor pans. It is the piece that sticks down below the car and if it is not painted black, it makes the car look unfinished as it contrasts to the darkness under the car. It is not just the pinch weld that gets painted but some of the rocker next to it as well.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

What is a pinch weld?

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/6R0xCrevinPinch.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/pinch7R01C188545frntpinch.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/pinch7R02A.jpg]

Typical distance from pinch weld is appros 1/2" -1 1/4" with a soft edge (was not taped off when painted) The edge on this example is too sharp - the owner painted the body color over the pinch weld black out

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/PinchweldBO.jpg]

Here is an example where the worker got lazy and just didn't bend over enough

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/67-68PinchBlkOutLarge.jpg]<b></b>

• Jeff, thanks very much for all the fine examples. Most of them look as if they were just hand painted with a brush. Most of them very sloppy. Did the assembly plant make any difference in how they were painted?

Gary

Jeff, thanks very much for all the fine examples. Most of them look as if they were just hand painted with a brush. Most of them very sloppy. Did the assembly plant make any difference in how they were painted?

Though they may look that way all were to be painted with a spray gun - lower pressures and volume than the exterior guns to reduce the overspray. Because of the angle overpray did get on everything that hung down from the floor pan (torque box, frame rails, convert floor supports and floor pans near the rocker panels)

Out of the thousands and thousands of original cars I;ve looked at only one was painted with a brush. IMHO it was likley one that got over looked/missed and an inspector picked up on it and had it corrected. Since it was easier just to slop on some paint from a can rather than return the whole body back to the paint area. Have seen the slop brush used on other cars/other years when a black out detail was missed at some point.

I've not seen nor documented any real difference between plants. More between different workers likely due to their body height of amount of effort But the differences are minor

• I'm still having a little trouble understanding the sequence used to paint the under carriage. My 66 appears to have been sprayed red oxide and then a flat or almost flat black.

Anyway, this is an excellent thread. I have learned so much about the painting process used for the Mustang and would like to thank all that have participated.

Gary

• Gary:

Are you talking about the undercarriage? Is there a break between red-oxide and black at the break between the front of the car and the firewall? It seems to make sense that the gun fixtures that sprayed the undercarriage started spraying right as a line with the firewall to the ground began. This would minimized primer being sprayed through the engine bay and wasted. Starting to see more and more cars done like this. See different colors of primers and different shades of the same primer.

I'm still having a little trouble understanding the sequence used to paint the under carriage. My 66 appears to have been sprayed red oxide and then a flat or almost flat black.

Remember the amount of shine can be the type of paint (falt or semi-gloss) or can be effected by the amount applied (misting or overspray will make the finish look more flat)

The black you see over red oxide (in your example) could be from the engine compartment (front wheelwell application depending on the plant- differences) or from the pinch weld black out.

Then there is always the possibility of an earlier owner with a spray can or eartlier attempt at "restoration"

• Charles,

I'm not sure. I will have to put it on the lift this week and look at it very closely.

Jeff may be right about the later attempt at restoration.

When my car went down the line to have the undercarriage painted I assume nothing was attached. Just the body. Maybe I can look under the gas tank and see the original paint.

Also, did they use robots to paint the entire car, including the pinch welds?

Gary

When my car went down the line to have the undercarriage painted I assume nothing was attached. Just the body. Maybe I can look under the gas tank and see the original paint.

The doors and trunk lid were attached and probably the rear valence panel (a few or all of the screws across the top only.)

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Also, did they use robots to paint the entire car, including the pinch welds?

I don't think the exterior of the cars was done by robots/fixtures, believe it was done by humans. The undercarriage was likely done with the fixtures since it didn't matter if there were runs or imperfections. They were just looking for a quick coverage. Would have been time-consuming to do with line workers, so it makes more sense.

If your car has had any undercarriage restoration work in the past, it will be difficult to determine what was done originally.

• My white fastback as the pinch welds painted body color (white). The car is not original, and is modified, but I'd like to correct the pinch weld area as best I can on my own. How do you guys suggest I go about this? I don't want to get black overspray all over the nice white paint job, but masking it will be too sharp of a line. Should I just use a brush with some flat black enamel over the white? I imagine spray paint would have too much pressure to avoid the overspray....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!