Hipo Serial Numbers

• The "C8OE" Casting on the Block indicates a 1968 Casting. 1967 was the last year for the 289 HiPo. It is most likely a 302. I guess that there would be a slim chance that it was a 289 HiPo Service Block, but with a Date Code of "8F7", June 7, 1968, I very much doubt it.

• It is possible for the C8OE-6015-A block to be used as a late 1967 289 HiPo. I personally have not see one, but with only 489 1967 Mustang HiPos, it might a while before we hear from a late 1967 Mustang HiPo owner to verify the possibility -- or I might say, the probability. The C8OE-A block was a 302 block. It was essentially identical to the 289 C5AE-6015-E block except the cylinder sleeve castings were slightly longer. Ford allowed the C5AE-E block to deplete in late 1967 production and phased in the C8OE-A block in its place. When 1968 production began, the C8OE-A block was used for 302 production. It is during this brief time in late 1967 production that some 289 HiPos might have used this block. Perhaps within this forum we might hear from someone that can verify such a case.

But, to your question, your block was cast in late 1968 production and would not be a factory-production 289 HiPo. And, it would be difficult to verify it as a service replacement because anyone could align-bore a standard block with the HiPo caps.

• The discussion about these sequential numbers has come up under a K Mustang post and it seems to me that it would need best be continued in this more proper part of the forum.

I actually have a first week of 1964 1/2 Mustang production 5 bolt Hipo short block that has both the Ford VIN stamped on the passenger side and the Hipo sequential number stamped on the left side boss. The sequential VIN is also painted on the rear of the block in the bellhousing area.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Im working on a 64/half Mustang, 5F07K161273. Here is the engine info;

Block casting # C4OE-6015-F

Block casting date 4F3

Block assembly date 4F26, stamped on drivers side front engine pad

Hipo consecutive build # 6067,stamped on drivers side rear tab above clutch pivot, also is painted on the back of the block upsidedown.

Cylinder head casting dates 4D24 (both)

Car VIN 5F07K161273,stamped on lower right(passenger side), front corner of engine block, above the pan rail. it looks like the block was filed smooth before it was stamped. The VIN font matches the one stamped on the bottom of the trans. Has anyone else seen this filing done before? Does anyone have a picture they can e-mail me of a HIPO VIN stamped block? Im sure its original because the car is pretty original throughout, like the Carter, 3734S fuel pump with a F4 date, etc. If any more info is wanted, e-mail me at ceejay302@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Chris

• Thanks for that interesting information on your car, Chris. According to Bob Mannel, an early 5 bolt HiPo Mustang should have a 4 digit sequence number, as you have found stamped on yours. That's a BIG deal! Yours is one of 2 or possibly 3 other HiPo Mustangs with an engine serial number that we've heard of around here. There probably aren't that many early Mustangs left that have 5 bolt HiPo engines, but if anyone else out there has an early 64 1/2 with an original 5 bolt engine, check for a 4 digit sequence number.

• Our 5 bolt K just came back from the machine shop. It was freshened up with new Keith Black standard bore pistons and Clevite standard crank and rod bearings. In the tear down on the back of the block was painted in yellow HP and 6464. We didn't know what this meant until we read this topic posted. We then found 6464 stamped into the boss above the swing bar pivot. The VIN # of 5F08K168930 is stamped into the block above the pan on the front passenger side. The same number is stamped lengthwise along the bottom the HEH-S toploader. The aluminum tag off of the intake reads: 289 64 1 on the top line and 4-G 544-B on the second line.

The block cast# is C4OE-6015-F dtd 4G1. Both heads # 21 are dtd 4D24 and the stamped boss on the front of the block reads 4G11C. Hope this info helps.

• Didn't see any dates painted on anywhere. There is a smear of light green paint across the back of the block right below the intake. The latest date I could find was the 4G11 stamped on the front of the block.

• I'm kind of new to some of this stuff. Not to be the village idiot but could one of you guys explain what you mean by "five bolt" or "six bolt" block. I've only heard that in terms of the main bearing caps and I don't think that's what your referring to? Thanks

• I realize this is off the main topic but 5boltk, your vin indicates a June 16th or thereabouts build date. The block stampings you give are from a July block. My database shows this kar as not having an engine or trans. Not sure when I recorded this but it's been awhile from a PO in Iowa. The information doesn't seem to add up.

Alex

• 430dragpack's dates on his engine appear to be about one month ahead of ours. I can't change what we have as the teardown we just finished with was the first time this engine was opened since it was built by Ford. The engine is going into a K Code fastback that we purchased 20 years ago without a drivetrain.

I also sent 289route66 a PM

• I have a K motor that has the following, Front of block is 4G7N,

above clutch linkage is 6377, heads are both 20 have not looked at date code yet. carb is C3OF AJ, intake C5OE 9425 A partial on right of block

above pan xxx07K204964 x spaces are unreadable, very light stamping.

Do not know anything of its history.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!