Radiator casting info?

• Hi all,

I have a question about casting # on radiators destined for San José cars (W-MO). According to Colin Date in ´Original Mustang 1964½-1966´ M2 indicates that the car is equipped with an automatic transmission and that Y2 would indicate a manual transmission. But what about the marking G2?

Thanks,

Tony

• I believe G2 is the same as the Y2, both 4spd V8 cars only thing is G2 was the early rad(1965) and Y2 was the later(1965) 4spd rad. Check out the AMK website or their catalog, in the back is the repro rad tags they offer(not for San Jose rads) and they give a good break down of the codes and what year/trans/engine they came with.

• keep in mind that all raditor top tanks DID NOT have a Y2 - H2 - M2 actually stamped in the metal. Many radiator came stamped with the C4ZE MO W Date ie. 3 65 and the description for the raditor code was on a metal tag soldered to the left side of the top tank. I've come across a few of these types of radiators. One of these was on an original 1966 Shelby.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I believe G2 is the same as the Y2, both 4spd V8 cars only thing is G2 was the early rad(1965) and Y2 was the later(1965) 4spd rad.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I think they changed from G2 to Y2 in May of 1965 as I have a 3-65 G2and my friend has a 4-65 G2 and a 5-65 Y2.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Add to the two above it appears that G2 was replaced by Y2

But it appears that there was not a specific cut off as the information shows below

12/64 = C4ZE Y2

3/65 = C4ZE G2

4/65 = C4ZE G2

2/66 = C4ZE Y2

I've never seen a small tag (such as AMK offers) attached to the core of a San Jose Mustang

Anyone seen a "Z2"?

• I have a Z2, C4ZE, W-MO, 1-65 on my 65 C-code with Auto, Air

and Power Steering and I used to have a Z2, 3-65 on my Shelby

65 until I got a G2, 3-65 from a friend here in Texas.

/Bo

• Hi,

My 1-65 is a C4 version as was the 3-65 that

I used on my Shelby. However, all original

Shelby 65, up to serial #450, radiators I have

seen have the G2 on their radiators. I looked in 65

magazines which showed very early cars and they had G2

as well with dates like 11-64 or 12-64.

/Bo

• Going back to the top post, could someone tell me who "Colin" is?

As Far as I know, G2 and Y2 indicated one of the the Modine Plants.

To correct another post here, early 65 350's had Y2 10 or 11-64 stamped.

• Hi again,

Well, my 1965 magazines shows early 65 Shelbys

with G2 and dates 11-64 and 12-64.

I don't believe the G2 or Y2 indicates which

Modine plant but the marking W-MO does for

San Jose cars.

/Bo

• How "early" are the cars in the pix?

I have info on several cars under car # 60 that show 10-64 and 11-64 dates with G2 & Y2. If we look at the first 113 cars, all were recieved @ Venice plant by the end of December. That would put thier Ford build date near the beginning of December. The Radiators would have to be "staged" for the production run, and Modine would have to make them before December, then ship them. Therefore, it would be less likely the first 113 GT350's would have recieved a 12-65 date, and much more likely a 10 or 11-64 date.

Mike

• Hi Mike,

You are most likely correct on the dates 10-65

and 11-65. Yesterday I went through the 65 magazines

and it's very difficult to see if it's 10-65

or 12-65 but 10-65 makes more sense as most cars,

as you said, came to Shelby around 12/20-23.

Couldn't see any with a Y2 though.

/Bo

• Just to add one more data point, I bought a manual trans. radiator at a swapmeet two years ago that I traded to a friend for some other parts. The date code is 8-64 and is stamped Y2.

He also has a 7-64 rad and as soon as he digs it out of his attic I'll post the numbers on that one too.

Dave
    6S1757

• Then the challenge is: how do we find out

the difference between Y2 and G2 on 65 cars,

early (64 1/2) and later with C4ZE manual radiators.

Anybody know? Is there a difference between

4-speeds and 3-speeds?

AMK's Max says, G2 early and Y2 late which

has turned out to be wrong.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!