Exhaust Manifolds On or Off?

• We're getting closer to dropping the engine and tranny in as a unit. We put the exhaust manifolds on as we want pictures of the engine from all sides before its installed. Does it make the install that much more difficult by leaving the hipo manifolds on the engine?

• when patrick and i pulled the engine out of his '66 coupe

we had a heck of a time with his 'headers'

we ended up putting a 'dimple' in the distal steering tube!!

the medial arched part of the shock towers were 'cut out'

apparently to accomadate the headers.

we welded these back in with donor material off a junk '66

Q

since we put hipo exhaust on his C code car

will we need to use the hipo clutch bar?

iowa

Edited by - iowa on 01/24/2011 07:53:31

• If you are using Hipo exhaust manifolds, the Hipo equalizer bar is your only option. The standard equalizer bar will hit on your "H" pipe as it is below the equalizer bar. The Hipo equalizer bar lower lever has a quick bend in it to clear the "H" pipe.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Having just installed my HiPo engine this past summer I certainly recommend installing it with the manifolds on. You can wait but it is a real bear to try and install them once the engine is in the car. It can be done but the language can get somewhat colorful as you do it. You will need the HiPo Z bar for your clutch as the HP manifold dumps just about in the middle of the old C code unit.

• I find it easiest to install the engine with the exhaust manifolds on, H-pipe bolted and the trans/bellhousing attached to the motor.

If you're going for concours-correct, the exhaust manifolds would have had engine color over spray, which would be hard to do once the engine is in the car.

• Charles is installing the transmission and engine the same way Ford did it on the assembly line back in the day. They did it in just a few seconds at that time. Unfortunately the video showing this assembly on You Tube has been pulled.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Charles is installing the transmission and engine the same way Ford did it on the assembly line back in the day. They did it in just a few seconds at that time. Unfortunately the video showing this assembly on You Tube has been pulled.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Based on period photos and that music video of DAP, yes.

• Took some searching but I found another link to the video here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Motor drop is around 1:12 minutes.

• All you need is a "tall lift" and three workers (not counting the chorus) to slip in the engine as shown. As I don't have a "tall lift", am short two workers (I do pay with beer for non-union slave labor) and my replacement for the chorus is a couple of speakers, I'll go the old fashioned way, transmission installed and exhaust manifolds off, but the assembly line procedure is noted, also the painting room.

Jim

• Keep in mind that the engine and trans drop is done over a pit on the assembly line. I built my pit partially just for this purpose as that is how Kar Kraft did Boss 429's which I am doing as well. The pit makes it possible to have the trans drop far below the body making it easy to level off the whole assembly without interference.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Glad to help, Fred. You guys are a great resource!

There's so much I've learned, and continue to learn, from the video. I wish there were some way to save it to my PC.

Pete

• Pete, I was able to save it to my PC. There is a link in the upper right hand corner of the You Tube video to download it.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Pete: If you have realplayer on your computer you can save this video to your machine... simply right click on the video and a drop down menu will appear that gives you the option to save. If you don't have realplayer you can down load a free copy from the net. I just finished downloading the video and it worked great..... Thanks for finding this and sharing it with the group.

Edited by - sixfiveGT on 01/26/2011 12:10:50

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!