Tie Down Plates

• I have a 65 FB and am trying to figure out which type of tie down plate was used with HiPos: short or long?

Does anyone have experience with these, or has an original with the tie downs still on them as shipped from the factory?

Or, a source of info on this?

Thanks in advance!

=rds

• I may be able to tell you what is, but not what is not (sounds cryptic). I removed a set from my Oct,66 San Jose build "K" car and they are 8 1/4 inches long. I have a second set that came from a March, 66 San Jose GT-350 which are the same. Both have square tops, both are the three bolt type (bent tab for the third), mine was painted semi-gloss black (maybe glossier), the Shelby's were Early-American rust. The interesting part is that the Shelby's set are both right hand plates. The installer gabbed "something" and put it on. Somewhere along the time line, the Shelby's owner got another pair but does not know the application. They are 8 3/4 inches long, three bolt and have round tops (about 3/4 inch radius). I also have a set from a March, 66 San Jose build that are the two bolt flat type. That statement will set off alarms. The car now speaks Australian.

Jim

• For what it's worth......My April '66 2+2 Dearborn kar has the same ones as shown in the pics that Round2k <b></b> posted.

Mine looked about the same condition as well as it resided in the Dearborn area.

Mark

• I've been told ,by those older and wiser, that dual exhaust cars had the longer style of tie downs and single exhaust cars had the shorter style. I've never personally seen the shorter style on GT's or K codes.

Edited by - fourspeed on 09/27/2010 18:29:35

• Being that I took off the "shorter" 8 1/4 inch style from my car, and my Shelby owner got the same style from his 66, that does not lend creedance to what you were led to believe. When ever, and where too, tie down plates were put on with the intent that they were to be returned from the dealer. And as I said, I don't have any idea where the 8 3/4 inch ones came from, if those are in fact the longer version.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've been told ,by those older and wiser, that dual exhaust cars had the longer style of tie downs and single exhaust cars had the shorter style. I've never personally seen the shorter style on GT's or K codes.

Edited by - fourspeed on 09/27/2010 18:29:35

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Don't recall I've ever seen a long and short version; believe they were one size fits all.

Edited by - round2K on 09/28/2010 22:50:03

• This is an interesting post! However, there was more variation in the plates used by line workers than I thought. It seems like they just installed whatever was in the hopper at that moment.

To anyone in the group with an early 65 Dearborn (w/dual exhausts): what did your car come with?

rds

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>To anyone in the group with an early 65 Dearborn (w/dual exhausts): what did your car come with?

rds<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>My Hipo is a Mar 65 Dearborn car and has the 2 bolt flat tiedowns which are 4-3/4" long.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• My car is a late March, 65 Dearborn FB and it has the type from the picture. Longer style with the bolts through the rail and a tab flat against the bottom of the rail. These are still in place on my car and appear to have been painted.

• It would be nice to gather images of all the types. I'll measure the set in the photo I posted earlier and then list the dimensions. If anyone has the other styles it would be worth seeing them. Next question is what plates went with what cars.....

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

4 the record their are actualy 3 types of tie down plates, early, middle and late... I have all three in my collection

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

How about sharing some pics and show the differences?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!