Iowa's 5F09K project

• the interior is pretty nice

the trunk and engine bay will look great

just the exterior will someday need a paint job

patrick likes the 'character' of it right now

iowa

• does anyone have a picture that show

how the wiring was attached above the radiator?

i know that there are two hole there

for the plastic loom clips

but do the wires go below the horn bolts

or on top of them etc.

what is the orientation of the clip?

all the diagrams are in the electrical assembly book

except this one!

i know you guys love picky Q's like these?

iowa

Edited by - iowa on 01/25/2011 07:31:43

• still looking for pics of the wire loom above radiator.

also, as we are doing my son's '66,

i am buying parts for my K kar.

does anyone have a picture that shows a bottom

view of the equalizer bar BELOW the exh manifold

where it hooks into the engine?

thanks

iowa

• hmmmmm..

no one knew about this 'gap?'

how about this one:

are the grommets for the shock tower fuel lines

the same one as used in the trunk area for the

gas sending wire?

thanks

iowa

• hi

i'm talking about the rubber grommets

that the fuel lines go thru in the shock towers

and the electrical wire that goes across the upper

back part of the gas tank

and then exits thru the hole and down to the

gas sending unit on the gas tank

there is a rubber gommet here also

are they the same?

iowa

• I just ordered the grommet kit from Scott Drake for my 66. Those grommets are the same. They are also the same as the grommet at the lower edge of the hood hinges.

The grommet kit has like 25 grommets for everything, seat hole covers, rear shock covers, fender to cowl access plugs, you name it. Got it from Glazier Nolan in PA. I also ordered the wiring assembly manual form them. I'm in the same boat as you, I have no electrical under the hood at all right now. The engine bay just got stripped, I coated it with Dupont Red Oxide, and then Dupont Semi Flat Engine Bay Paint. $11 a can from the local Dupont dealer here in San Antonio, but it does look pretty (9 cans later). I pulled the fenders, coil spring covers, radiator and everything off the front of the car. I cut off all of the wiring loom retainers (thus the need for the wiring assembly manual). I can get you pictures of all of the wiring harness tie down points as soon as the book comes in. I also have an extra set of wiring loom retainers that I ordered by mistake... I got one set from Tony Branda and the other from Virginia Classic Mustang. So far I have used 17 vendors getting parts for the Kar and I do shop around for the lowest price including shipping.

• This is what I ordered...

C5ZZ-6511135-KT

I was wrong, the sender grommet was not the same. I must have something wrong with my wire, it moves freely throught the grommet in either direction, doesn't appear to be stripped any where on the wire, but that harness is getting replaced any way.

I just looked on mine... depressing, once again. The fuel sending unit lead wire is spliced just ahead of the left trunk hinge. The grommet is indeed a brake line grommet, but is does not have a part number around the edge. The inner seal was created using silicon caulk (much like every other hole I found in the trunk). This would have been the last factory harness left on the car.

Every body penetration I have seen on this kar so far, has had either silicon, tape, sometines old red rags stuffed through. Is it really that hard to replace it right the first time?

Edited by - markforsythe on 02/08/2011 14:49:56

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

"..................... Is it really that hard to replace it right the first time?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

First, you have to give a damn. Once that is accomplished, the rest is easy.

(above advice applies to all aspects of life).

Z.

• wow!!

that makes my Kar look prety solid!!

i am still working on the shock towers

but cannot ground down my welds until

we move my son's '66 out.

we would hate to mess up his fresh

engine bay and T5 etc.!!

but should be finished in a few weeks

and then will have another progress pic or two

iowa

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

hmmmmm..

no one knew about this 'gap?'....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Dave,

The "gap" is the setting for the clutch 'free play' travel. The complete procedure is described very well in the shop manual.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!