Hardened Pushrods??

• There is a small notation in Tony's book regarding that some folks say that the pushrods used in a HYPO 289 are hardened....I am wondering if this is true?? I just spoke with my Brother-In-Law who owned my "K" Convertible in early 1973 until he gave it to me in 1984 and he told me that he'd had lots of problems with bending pushrods and the "standard" 289 pushrods were worse and didn't last long---he also told me of running Avgas (aircraft High Octane gasoline) alot and the folks that he got it from cautioning him about the consequences of using it--I wonder if THAT GASOLINE caused the engine to turn harder than it really should have and bend the pushrods??

• I think the reason that some believe the pushrods were hardened is because they actually ride against the pushrod slot in the hipo heads. Being hardened would protect them from wear.

Bending pushrods would be symptomatic of larger engine problems, such as a stuck or bent valve, broken rocker arm, *large* chunks of debris in the valvetrain, or something like that.

• Except for a brief time in 1966, all push rods were hardened. All service replacements for the 289 are hardened. The reason was simple -- too easy to get a non-hardened push rods into an early engine with disasterous results.

• Thanks, Bob!! I just went and ordered your book!!! I think it will be very usefull as I rebuild my 1965 289HP "K" engine.

So, I can then just go to a quality parts store such as NAPA and ask for 289 pushrods and I will automaticly get hardened ones??

• I have NOS Ford push rods if you need them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Ford never made a hardened push rod per say.All parts have a certain Rockwell to meet specs but the stock push rods are soft.They bend easy and come apart easier.If you plan on good valve springs and twisting the motor above 6500 then buy good push rods.Crane and Comp Cams both make super nice chrome moly push rods and I know from experience twisting them over 10,000 rpm they will live!

• Bottom line is that the Ford push rod was designed to withstand rubbing against the slots in the cylinder heads. The same push rod used in the 221 V8 was the same one used in the 289 HiPo. I have looked at a lot of 289 push rods and never saw one that was worn in the area were it rubbed on the cylinder head. After L10, the push rods were used with rail rockers (except 289 HiPo) and did not rub against the cylinder heads. They will bend before breaking, but that usually happens when the valve hits something it is not supposed to.

• The OEM Ford push rod is case harden(hard surface)low carbon steel tubing, the steel ball on the ends are carburized & case harden before being welded to the rod.

• You really need to measure for pushrod size to maintain proper valve train goemetry. Factors like head gasket thickness, and milling of the deck and cylinder head and camshaft will influence the length of your pushrod. I measured for both my small blocks. Check out the following link. You can throw in a standard set of pushrods, just like you can install a camshaft and not check it with a degree wheel, but you don't want to do that.

http://www.competitioncams.com/Technical/FAQ/FAQPushrods.asp

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!