Stock radio conversion to FM

• Since last November 2 at SEMA i have been awaiting delivery of the Auto Custom Sound System AM-FM reproduction radio. Several delays have come and gone but still no radio. Now the expected date is mid July for delivery. Waited about as long as a person ought to wait, so maybe time to consider something else. Does anyone know or has anyone had a stock radio converted to a later reciever and actually used it? I see ads in Hemmings for conversion but do not know anyone who actually has had it done. Can someone endorse a company that makes this conversion, and what is the cost. I have a beautiful radio that has been in my car since new. Flawless chrome, numbers on the dial are still lilly white and the needle is still bright and unbleached, but the darn thing will not say a word and has not for the past 21 years. Has come on a couple of times and scared hell out of me, but almost immediatly became once again silent. This is the only thing on the entire vehicle that does not work as it should and it is driving me nuts. Who can help?

• I can't recommend any particular vendor but from previous discussions I think you would be happier with a converted original than you would a crappy reproduction.

• It's been years, but I had my radio restored perfectly and it has worked great ever since. No FM conversion, but beautiful AM and am listening to big bands again! Randy at Dallas Mustang, 800.687.8264 has the conatact info. Lights, needle and stations come in strong.

Good Luck!

• Merlyn is right again.

Mine is at Mike Hagan Antique Radio repair in Pensylvania - should be back in a couple of weeks I think. I heard his radios at a couple of shows and they sound great and look good too.

• Mike has been doing car radios for a long time, and has earned his reputation by doing it right. Several years ago, I had him repair a rare '65 Comet AM-FM that I used to have, and his work was excellent. Since he lives about 10-15 miles from me, he encouraged me to drop my radio off at his house. He showed me around, and I was boggled at the vast collection of radios and parts he has.

• I thought it was Antique Automobile Radio in Palm Harbor, Florida that was going to make the reproduction Ford am/fm-We bought a repro of the '57 Chevy Wonderbar radio (in am/fm) from them recently for my Wife's '57 Belair-haven't installed it yet but it sure looks good!!!

• Just checked with Dallas Mustang on the Repo radio. They are not expecting to get any until at least the end of November - you do have to wonder what the holdup on the release of this unit is all about. Kind of interesting that from what I was told the station changing buttons do not actually change the stations but are used to control other functions (CD changer,MP3 etc)You will still need to change the stations by rotating the right side dial.

Jack

• Still waiting for one of these. Has been almost one year since seeing the prototype at SEMA. Been in contact with NPD about this radio, seems that so far each time an expected delivery date arrives, a new issue pokes its head up! I have no idea if this means that the radio was a total chunk of cshit the first time and they are trying to make it good enough to get by, or if they are striving for perfection. In any event, it probably will be near Christmas when any vendor gets enough of these to sell. The idea is good, i hope that the radio itself is better than what some folks report about the entire line of Custom Auto Sound products. I still plan to get one when and if they ever become available.

• Auto Custom Sound does NOT have a very good reputation. When I was considering a "hide away" unit for our '69 Z28 I was advised to go with a main-stream unit (Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) and put it in the glove box.

This is what I plan on doing with the Mustang. Original radio in dash, modern stereo in the glove box. Updated speakers in the dash and 2 6x9's in boxes on the floor behind the front seats (not much choice of location with a convertible).

• I have a friend that coverts them , does work for a lot of the restoration guys , i can get you his info the radios he has done for me sound and look great 55 t/birb and 67 corvette , hope this helps Otto

• Remember FM converters? As long as your original AM radio works you are good to go. That is all I ever use in my AM classic cars to produce FM music. Easy hook up, hides in console or glove compartment, very good reception and keeps original AM radio appearance. I bought some at an electronics show a few years back. Hard to find but I have seen them on ebay. I think I have one left if anyone is interested.

• I have one installed in my 65 K fastback. It looks like the real thing, was not difficult to install, and has at least as good sound as the original. I have no amp or external speakers, but did use a ken harrison deluxe speakers in the dash. I am happy with the looks and it does play so how much better can it be. Time only will tell about the quality. I have always wanted the real thing but have never been able to locate one that was in my price range. I have one in another Mustang and the reproduction sounds as good or getter than the real thing. It is NOT high end stuff so do not expect it to equal the late model auto quality!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!