5R07K102379 lost to fire

• I am sad to say that 5R07K102379 was destroyed in a fire May 5th 2011. It is a total loss. I am documenting this because I will use some of the parts in another car. I want it known so there will not be any fraud if any of this car is salvaged. It is scheduled today to be crushed.

Scott

• too bad!!

makes me wonder

how fireproof my back garage is?

inspires me to check it out

what could be worse than the loss

of an early K code?

iowa

• Nobody was hurt in the fire. 5R07K102379 caught fire behind the dash while I was driving it. Damned old wiring. I retained the vin's "removed" from the car. and bought back the title. I don't however believe anything should or will come of them. I don't think that Dynacorn will ever make 64.5 factory K coupe, concourse and Hipo Mustang eKschange approved, bodies. It would not be ethical to re-body anyway, so I'm keeping them so nobody else can re-body. I'm to old to spend another 15 years building a car anyway. Hope others feel the same way I do when I die.

It's been great being in the forum, and lot of interesting things are shared here. Not having a K car anymore, I no longer belong.

So signing off for the last time. Keep'um original except for the wiring. Replace. Scott

• I want to let you know that the title and VIN's are going into my safety deposit box not to come out in my lifetime. I just wanted to restart the discussion on re-bodies because of the Dyancorn situation. Insurance doesn't pay sqwat on a cost of replacement policy. You can't determine value of the car anymore. and even K coupe cars are worth less and less every day. I don't feel it is right to re-body a car but in 50 years my grandchildren may think differently. The VIN is posted here to stop fraud. You may think differently in 50 years. Who knows internal combustion cars may be banned next year. And you may all lose your car like I lost mine. At least they will be if the Democrats and save the Earthers are re-elected. In Utah they don't check one VIN and title the car so theoretically fill in all the Dynacorn Vin's weld in the old vins and Good to go. Last post, hope the hobby lasts, Scott

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I don't think that Dynacorn will ever make 64.5 factory K coupe, concourse and Hipo Mustang eKschange approved, bodies. It would not be ethical to re-body anyway, so I'm keeping them so nobody else can re-body. I'm to old to spend another 15 years building a car anyway.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thats already in the planning stages and can be reality by the end of the year

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>"................ Not having a K car anymore, I no longer belong.............Scott

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

very very sorry about your misfortune, but I have to disagree with your conclusion that you don't belong. You spent 15 years working on that car and have a lot of knowledge and insight that you could share with those in need.

I know you are going thru the seven stages of grief right now (no joke) and your feelings are intense. But as you get some time and distance on the unfortunate event I hope you come to realize that you will always be welcome and needed at the Hi-Po forum.

Z. Ray

• back to the wiring issue

i remember when i restored my very 1st car

a '63 beatle

i had thot about replacing all the wiring

and was told that the old wiring was

much better than the new repro stuff

and to just make sure that there were no shorts etc.

are the repro mustang wiring kits better?

thanks

iowa

• A new stock reproduction Mustang harness is in most cases better than the original only because it's new. They have the same wire colors, wire gauge, lengths and connections as the originals - sort of like plug and play. The aftermarket "solves everything" modified harnesses fit that same general description, they're new, the gauge is the same, the colors may or may not be the same and the lengths are cut to fit (some additional assembly required). The problem with the modified stuff is the installer, the additional electrical attachments that are added and the stuff left off. That's not my humble opinion, it's the real world. If you don't know what you are doing, you will gain "experience". The under dash harness is the most complex on a 64 thru 66 (make that all thru 73) and is also the most expensive which is why it is usually not replaced. I'm not saying that it should be replaced, but there is a good reason as the subject of this thread.

Jim

• i have the original under-dash harness's

for my k car and off the '66 donor car.

really, they don't look to bad

other than well aged.

i would think that if one did a careful inspection

of the old wires, and made care repaires,

install them correctly

and carried a fire extinquisher

that one would be reasonable safe from fire?

does all the concurs cars that are judged to the nth degree

have brand new wiring?

iowa

Edited by - iowa on 05/15/2011 07:23:59

• It would be difficult to tell a reproduction under dash harness from a NOS Ford harness because it is under the dash. With a reproduction paper tag attached (located at the connector near the center of the car) it might even fool Ford QA. I had reproduction and Ford NOS under hood harnesses for both the gauge and the headlight circuits side by each and there was little difference (I think the color stripe was a slightly different shade on a wire or two).

You can remove the under dash harness and lay it out on a 4X8 sheet of plywood, drive in marker nails for bends, connectors and breakouts, and then rewrap it. That's the current plan on a 66 Shelby I'm working on. The owner has NOS under hood and a tail light harnesses.

And I've had a fire extinguisher in all my cars since 1963. Only used one once on someone elses car fire (I think 1970 or 71). I'm considering a Haylon type for my Van.

Jim

• Even though my harness was in good shape the first item I bought after acquiring my kar was a new wiring harness.I have first hand knowledge of what could go wrong and did not want that repeated.

My only downside is that my project has stalled, so by the time I put it in it may not be new anymore

mike

• Sorry for your loss. My first time ever driving my race car K Code the wiring went on fire under the dash at Watkins Glen October 1998 as I was exiting the boot ( outer loop) I came onto pit lane smoking !! That was the end of the day and could have been the end of the car. Replace the wiring by all means always !!!

• i'm surprised that the old wiring

isn't meticulously restored

in the name of originality.

this would be more in line with

the acid standards of this site.

i'm not knocking it, just wondering.

iowa

• sorry to hear about the loss of you mustang. i have worked as a commercial electrician for over 20 years. i have seen electrical fires caused by insulation on old wiring that cracked and shorted and went up in flames. the twa 800 747 jet blew up because of cracked insulation on old wiring. an empty 727 jet was taxiing to get some routine maintance when an explosian blew a hole in the wings leading edge and caused damage to the spar. if the plane had ben in the air the wing would have broken off due to the severly damaged spar. cracked insulation on wiring inside a conduit passing through a wing tank shorted , blew a hole in the conduit and ignited a small amount of fuel in the wing tank. a freind almost lost his commercial building with 4 businesses in it because of an electrical fire caused by bad insulation. i took ALL the wiring out of my 65 k mustang, & my 68 torino and threw it away. when i get around to my 69 b2 i will remove and replace ALL the wiring with new wiring. "IF" i end up with a 66 gt350h a friend has ALL the wiring will be replaced in it. its not worth it to keep old wiring with worn out insualtion in a car. as for originality what does it matter when the car burns to the ground because of the old worn out insulation. the insulation might look great but be prone to cracking. even if it looks good and is flexable today it could bite you in the ass a year from now. i see too many high dollar restorations with 40+ year old wiring just wating to short and ignite. the insualtion of today has much better chemical properties. REPLACE THAT WORE OUT WIRE WITH NEW WIRE ! carry a fire extinguisher and put a battery disconnect switch in.

Edited by - stickshift on 06/17/2011 04:35:29

5F09K677490 !!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!