What is the point of the registry?

• I am just wondering what is he point or the "mission" of this registry? I thought it was to gather and share as much FACTUAL information as possible about these cars? I thought that it was to encourage ALL K code owners to register their vehicles on this site?

About 6 months ago I attempted to register my long lost K code here and went about the process of doing just that. 7 months later, still nothing. I hear that there about 100 cars still waiting to be registered. I have also read other members frustration in this regard, members who have been waiting for over 2 years to hear that their cars have been registered.

If this is simply a glorified ebay site where a few elite members buy and sell parts, BRAVO....mission accomplished.

If this is truly a "registry" for K codes then that part of it is a total joke.

A few days ago I found a 1966 K code fastback literally next door to me, 100 feet from where I am typing this letter. It has been sitting in his garage looking as if it just came off the showroom floor. It would be a perfect candidate for studying, registry purposes and documentaton issues. It is 100% original, its a GT with Pony interior, all the paperwork from day 1...you name it, its there.

My first question to the owner was "did you register it in the Hi-po registry?" He replied "I tried many times to contact those folks but they never responded so I gave up."

So there is an opportunity to have a great vehicle in the registry with all of its data intact lost because of the ridiculous way that this part of the registry is done, or more accurately NOT DONE.

Maybe its time to start a registry that actually registers these cars. This one can be ebays baby brother because, quite frankly, thats all that it has been for years.If you are going to call it a registry, how about registering something once in a while?

Rob Burton.

• While the registry portion of the site has been lacking in updates, I think the forum section has been a valuable discussion area for those of us with these cars.

I would also like to know what the status of the registry is. It might be in the best interest to hand over the site to someone else capable of putting more time into it.

• For me this site has been a great resource for information concerning the various quirks associated with "K" cars. There have been several posts that saved me a lot of time, money and aggravation, as well as introduced me to some really nice people that have been a great help (Fred Ballard for example with his tireless efforts to get those pesky fuel pumps rebuilt comes to mind) I don't really agree that this has become a baby ebay.. while yes parts are bought and sold on this site from my perspective it has been the valuable information that has been shared that has been its strong suit... As far as the registry is concerned I agree that perhaps it could have been handled better. Perhaps someone would want to step up and take on the major responsibility of keeping it updated....(I for one understand the difficulties associated with that responsibility and in no way would I want to do it).... so as they say " he with out sin cast the first stone". It might be the time for the keepers of the registry to ask for help... maybe there is a way that the load could be shared and not burden just one or two individuals. From that perspective I would be willing to help where I could... I have to believe that with so many ardent K owners that there has to be others willing to do the same.... Just some food for thought... I bet someone else probably has an even better idea.... Anyway.. Let me wish all the members of this Forum... A Very Happy Holiday Season!

• Unfortunately, the topic has been locked but if you look under New Members and expand the topics to 60 days you'll see a topic called something like "Unable to add my kar to the registry". This has been a complaint of many and in that topic the registrar comments that all kars have been added to the database; the individuals just don't seem to be getting a response that their kar has been added. So, I think the kars are being added; however, a definite improvement in communication is needed. I keep my own database and have more kars that can be added. This seems to a touchy subject with ownership issues. Don't know that I've helped any but thought I'd chime in.

This is a great site and I've learned tons of stuff. Just think of the Arvinode research and recreation. Wow! There are many more excellent examples of the knowledge that this site has brought us. This is way more than an eBay selling site.

• I have benefitted through this forum as well. Yes it would be great to have the registry updated. As far as info on this site; I know of no other place to get info other than The SAAC forum or the Concourse Mustang forum. We are fortunate to have these resources and remember, it is give and take. We all learn from this site, and we all need to share the knowledge we have gained through our specific vehicle as well as those we have observed firsthand.

Joe

• While I think the "ebays baby brother" may be a bit harsh,I have to agree with most of what Rob said.Hopefully this thread does not get locked again cause this is something we need to talk about and fix.

Thanks Rob for trying yet again

Mike

• You have to remember that this site is run by enthusiasts, not employees. Personally, I hope that the site owner(s) will take the initiative to communicate with the forum members and let us know what's happening.

There are many noteworthy benefits even without the registry up and running:

Exchange of information with other K code owners.

A parts forum for buying and selling Mustang and hipo specific parts.

An online encyclopedia of K code information.

• I have found this site to be valuable source of information over the years but I must agree lately it seems no one is updating anything. I have donated to the site over the years and I have been disappointed in the lack of response to some simple requests that I asked. I finally gave up also. Yes I do hope someone will take some ownership of this site and keep it updated.

Edited by - 66FBKGT on 12/21/2010 19:09:48

Edited by - 66FBKGT on 12/21/2010 19:10:26

• Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I think that its time to re-focus and clarify this thread. My opinion was, and still is, that the registry component and ONLY the registry component of this site does not work. Because it does not work, two things are happening;

1. People who try to register their K codes attempt to do just that and get turned off when they cannot do this and lose interest in the site. This is simply human nature.

2. When we lose those people because they are annoyed that they cannot register their cars we ALL lose ALL of that potential data, friendship, information and experience.

This has a disasterous effect on our site. The membership of the site will not grow as quickly as it could, less new members equals less of everything that this site stands for BESIDES being a just a registry. If I didn't care about this site, the people here, the preservation ond conservation of the K code car, I would not own one, I would not be restoring one and I would not be a member here.

I was contacted by a member of this forum yesterday who was also bothered by the fact that no new cars have been registered in four years. Actually, to be more accurate, he told me that the data from the new cars that have been registered has not been made public and is sitting in someones hard drive somewhere and that this person will not make that information public.

Thats actually about scary when you think about it. Someone has several hundred of our K code VINs, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, car desriptions and everything else that you may have entered and refuses to share this with anyone. Its also scary because we all entered that data in good faith hoping that the information would be shared with others, not hoarded in someones own, private hard drive.

Anyway, maybe its time to start something called "part two" of the registry as a seperate entity from the the original one. After all, the original one already has 1,490 cars in it so there would be no point in republishig all of those numbers. Part 2 could start at number 1,491 and would include all of the cars that have been floating around cyberspace since 2006 and any new people that also were interested in having their car in the part 2 part of the registry.

Having said that I would like to thank all of the members who have helped me with information, data, technical stuff, parts and friendship since I joined this site a short while ago. Your assistance and encouragement have been amazing. Thank you all and Merry "Kristmas" Rob Burton, 1966 Antique Bronze K code Fastback, BC Canada.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...Someone has several hundred of our K code VINs, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, car descriptions and everything else that you may have entered and refuses to share this with anyone. Its also scary because we all entered that data in good faith hoping that the information would be shared with others, not hoarded in someones own, private hard drive.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Information such as an owner's name, address, phone number, etc. is NOT something that should be made public under any condition. The purpose of this Registry is NOT to be such a source of private information. I don't think anyone here wishes to have their privacy violated in this way by others who want to know, no matter how good the intentions are. To be precise, (your) personal information is used for registration purposes only and will not be shared with any third parties.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>After all, the original one already has 1,490 cars in it so there would be no point in republishing all of those numbers. Part 2 could start at number 1,491 and would include all of the cars that have been floating around cyberspace since 2006 and any new people that also were interested in having their car in the part 2 part of the registry. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Actually the number of cars in the Registry is 1728 cars, with approximately another 100 pending final approval.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!