Re-uniting original engines back in Kars

• Since I've watched the thread between 6F09Kanada and Mcfly this past week re-unite a hi-po engine back to the original Kar it has peeked my curiosity to see a K engine registry of some sort. I'd suspect there are hundreds of K owners who would love to find their lost engines again. Has anyone attempted to start any such registry project?

I can see there would be a majority of onwers holding a mismatched engine unwilling to part with it, until they have a comparable replacement. Perhaps a registry would at least help to estabolish where engines are at and maybe re-unite a few more.

Matt

• 21.04 I think that there is such a mechanism in place here at the HPMX just for that purpose, I am sure someone will chime in and add to this thread about that topic. You bring up a good point though. I wonder how many cars are cruising around with someone elses numbered motor in their car...or even worse, a 'restamped' standard 289 block with fat mains line bored in....yikes!

• As the owner of a '66 GT350 that is missing its original motor, I would be very interested in seeing some type of K engine registry that shows orphaned/misplaced engines. If one exists, please let me know how to access it.

Jay

• I am in the same boat as Jerry. 66 GT350 with missing original block. Mine was supposedly blown up. Currently have a 65 K stamped San Jose block that will be coming out this winter. Supposedly from a 65 GT350

Joe

• I think this would be a great idea. Rob finding my motor is the best thing that has happened to me in a long long time. Maybe when they get all the bugs out of the system here and the vin registry is up and running again that can be added.

mike

• I would love to find my original engine block if it still exists! I have kar 6F09K184284 but my block is 5F07K253160. Does anyone have a list of incorrect blocks that might find the correct kar to be re- united with?

• GT Joe & Mcfly,

This is kinda related to this topic. A friend of mine has a 66 K GT coupe (currently stored in my garage). He owned the car in the late 80's and recently reaquired the car. He knew it did not have the original motor, but it had vin stamped FB motor.

To make a long story short, he contacted Howard Pardee at the Shelby registry, and it turns out this the the motor out of a 66 GT350H car. He would not tell us which car (Shelby VIN) but said as of last year, that car had not been found.

The motor was recently rebuilt and dressed like a GT350. In the Koupe, it has about 500 miles on it, and runs beautifully. My questions for you guys are:

If he were to sell the motor, what would a freshly rebuilt GT350 motor be worth? It has the original date coded heads, and all K internal items. My friend is contempting selling the motor, but has not advertised it.

Do you recommend listing the motor any place other than the Shelby site?

Azbeneman

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

As the owner of a '66 GT350 that is missing its original motor, I would be very interested in seeing some type of K engine registry that shows orphaned/misplaced engines. If one exists, please let me know how to access it.

Jay

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am in the same boat as Jerry. 66 GT350 with missing original block. Mine was supposedly blown up. Currently have a 65 K stamped San Jose block that will be coming out this winter. Supposedly from a 65 GT350

Joe

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Me three. The original engine in my 66 GT350 was blown during a SCCA road race in Seattle in 1973. The block and two rods were toast, all other HiPo/Shelby parts were OK. The owner at the time bought a D1ZE Boss 302 service block and rebuilt the engine to get back racing ASAP, that block is still in the car today. He made no attempt to save the block and doesn't remember what happened to it.

If anyone has, or knows of, a 66 VIN stamped block with a hole (or sleeve) in one cylinder please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

the engine would be worth the same as any K-code engine. I doubt that the original car will be found if not already known to the SAAC registrar.

Z.

Unregistered cars are out there. There is a guy with a 66 GT350H less than 5 miles from me. AFAIK he has never sent his info to SAAC and didn't seem interested in doing so.

Dave
    6S1757

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

the engine would be worth the same as any K-code engine. I doubt that the original car will be found if not already known to the SAAC registrar.

Z.

Unregistered cars are out there. There is a guy with a 66 GT350H less than 5 miles from me. AFAIK he has never sent his info to SAAC and didn't seem interested in doing so.

they are out there unregistered. But the SAAC registrar knows of many of them regardless. This is a small world, and hard to hide anything of value. The registration just gives SAAC the OK to publish the owner provided information. The SAAC registrars have many "spies" out there and are continually receiving intelligence. When these supposedly unknown cars do get registered, all the spied data is checked against the owner provided information. And all they know is not published.

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 11/12/2010 08:55:19

• These folks need to understand they can register their information anonymously without fear someone will come seeking to buy or steal their car. On the contrary, putting the information in SAACs hands protects their cars identity and value against possible duplication or theft. Old registry information has been used to create "Air Cars"...

• I register VIN stamped Blocks and Transmissions as they do account for a kar. I have in the past been able to link up a couple of folks. I also sent the SAAC Registry all of the San Jose VINs to make sure none of them were Shelbys and they were not. Hopefully, if we keep plugging along, we will be able to link up more people.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!