Primer / Floor question

• We have now removed the original old floor. Upon inspection it appears to be all black primer underneath / inside is red. The car is a San Jose build December 64. Has anyone else seen this ? The June 65 San Jose Shelby has red top and bottom.

Does this have to do with the fact the car was Ivy Green or would they have just sprayed from the engine compartment back ?

The seat belt mounting on the tunnel is staggered with the passenger side mounting forward of the drivers side by 2" along the tunnel, parallel with the rocker on the drivers side and not on the passenger side. Rocker mounts are parallel across the car.

This does not match the June 65 fastback shelby in the shop. The Shelby has all mounts parallel. Any ideas ??

• Found the same on quite a few San Jose cars built around that time period. If you clean the bottom of the front frame rails under the engine bay, you will most likely find red-oxide there. That's how the K convertible (Feb '65 SJ) was that I restored and how it was put back.

Seat belt locations sound right for that time period.

• Do you have pics of the discovery and the final product ? Is it actual black primer or the engine compartment paint ?

I find this stuff fascinating, especially since we have 4 K codes in the shop to compare to.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Found the same on quite a few San Jose cars built around that time period. If you clean the bottom of the front frame rails under the engine bay, you will most likely find red-oxide there................

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Agree there is a somewhat short period where San Jose choose a different product for the floor pans before returning to the red oxide

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

There have been discussions as to why the bottom of the front is different from the belly of the car. It mainly has to do with the belly portion being sprayed with fixtures and the front being done by hand.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

++1

• While we are on this topic, I am doing a March 66 Dearborn Hipo fastback unit that has a Los Angeles DSO. I really would have thought that a Los Angeles unit would have normally been built in San Jose however I guess that there were exceptions. I cannot find any evidence of red oxide on the rear portion of the Kar. The front section was already previously done by a body shop so I did not check it there. The Kar is originally, and still is, a black Kar and the only color I see on the underside is a thin coat of black and some light surface rust near the rear end and trunk floors. I have high confidence that none of this has been previously redone. I am prepping it for paint now and I am unsure of whether to go with the black or go with red oxide. From what I see so far, I will most likely go with black. Any dissenting opinions out there?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have a first day build SJ convertible, front rails are only thing forward showing red oxide, but mostly oversprayed with sound deadener and engine compartment black. Pans and kick-up area above the rear axle were all done in dark gray, not black. This topic is discussed in several threads over on concoursmustang. It was my understanding that this color came from what others refer to a "batch mix" - definitely glossy, not black and not flat like primer.

• From all the Dearborn cars I have had and seen everyone of them had a black color that is glossy on the bottom side of car.Most of the other two plants are either a slop color or red oxide.

• I have a two Dearborn cars - 5F09A (Oct. '64) and a '6F09K (Apr. 66).

Both are original underneath and both have semi-gloss black, bumper to bumper. No red-oxide at all. I'm currently detailing the original floors on my '65 and they will be refinished in the same chassis / semi-gloss black.

Mark

• Mark,do you think the underhood color is the same color as the floor as I've seen alot of what I think is different colors between the two and I hope others will chime in?

• wow - what a thread - seriously confusing. My Dearborn (July, '66) convertible has undercoating, so hard to tell - no signs of red oxide, but I haven't started scraping/stripping and I don't plan to since I like driving it the way it is.

• My Dearborn June '65 fastback had a lot of rustproof coating. It didn't protect it though from rust after sitting in a wheat field in Michigan for over 20 years. Still has an old Ziebart sticker in the window, probably a dealer prep. After a lot of scraping to areas not rusted out I found black undercoat color. Removable panels, valances and fenders had remnants of red oxide.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Mark,do you think the underhood color is the same color as the floor as I've seen alot of what I think is different colors between the two and I hope others will chime in?

I believe the underhood black is a little more satin (dull) in appearance. There's actually a slight shine to my floors, more of a semi-gloss. It appears my '65 developed a fluid leak early on in it's life and coated the floors and perfectly preserved them......lucky me!

Mark

Bunch of undercarriage pics here after cleaning:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/K_vert/8_8_08/

Hey Charles,

Do you happen to have any pics of the final product of the undercarriage? I've seen the other pics of the car completed but haven't seen the undercarriage

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!