Were there 65 GT kars?

• My car is NOT a GT and was built Dec 22nd 1964 I think. I thought I read somewhere on here that they did not make any GT cars that early? Just wondering is all?

• Steve, You are correct that Ford did not make GT Kars that early in production for the 1965 model year.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Disc brakes were an available option on all 8 cylinder Mustangs including Hipos. Power steering was available on all Mustangs except Hipos.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• My car is pretty plain. The only thing it has is the rally pac. I have thought about putting disc brakes on it, but not really sure it's worth it. I have gone through the whole bake system, so they should work fine when I get it on the road. I put a duel master on it is the only change.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

My car is pretty plain. The only thing it has is the rally pac. I have thought about putting disc brakes on it, but not really sure it's worth it. I have gone through the whole bake system, so they should work fine when I get it on the road. I put a duel master on it is the only change.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote><font face='Comic Sans MS'>I went the opposite route during my restoration, adding the factory disk setup. Then for good measure, I also added the 10x2-1/2 inch rear drums. In the 23k plus miles I've put on the car since 2000, there have been a couple of ocassions where I was damn glad I had done the upgrade. Just sayin'.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

My car is pretty plain. The only thing it has is the rally pac. I have thought about putting disc brakes on it, but not really sure it's worth it. I have gone through the whole bake system, so they should work fine when I get it on the road. I put a duel master on it is the only change.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote><font face='Comic Sans MS'>I went the opposite route during my restoration, adding the factory disk setup. Then for good measure, I also added the 10x2-1/2 inch rear drums. In the 23k plus miles I've put on the car since 2000, there have been a couple of ocassions where I was damn glad I had done the upgrade. Just sayin'.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Part of the reason I did not add disc, was because the car has the original running gear and I did not want to change the originality of the car. Not really sure it's worth it or not? It honestly depends on how much I drive the car too. If I end up driving it a lot, I may change the brakes over to disc.

You can answer the question yourself - are you going for a "restoration", or are you going for a "drive"?

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I guess that would be a question I answer after I start driving it I am so close to having it running, it's frustrating! Driving it is my plan though.

If I chose to put disc brakes on the car, is it better to go with stock kind or is aftermarket ok?

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>I'd reckon either way is ok.

I went totally stock as I already had a proportioning valve, stock calipers (which I had to rebuild), FOMOCO dust shields and of course no spindle change was necessary. As I recall what I didn't have on hand was sourced from Stainless Steel Brake. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

Edited by - 65Rangoon on 11/01/2010 14:43:15

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!