Alternator question

• So I have two alternators and I think one of them is my hipo one, but not sure. How can I tell what one it is? It's for my Dec 64 built 1965 fastback.

Thanks

• I am also looking for an alternator for a December 64 HiPo. So far, I have been told that the correct one is a 42 AMP standard unit. No stamped numbers or date code. The fan and pulley are the only unique parts. The fan should be a six blade, equal spaced fins painted semi-gloss black. The pulley is the large diameter (Approx 4.5") steel unit also painted black.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am also looking for an alternator for a December 64 HiPo. So far, I have been told that the correct one is a 42 AMP standard unit. No stamped numbers or date code. The fan and pulley are the only unique parts. The fan should be a six blade, equal spaced fins painted semi-gloss black. The pulley is the large diameter (Approx 4.5") steel unit also painted black.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Also, the boss for the tensioner bracked has a rounded end, not the milled, squared off end that the higher amp alernators had. I scouted around some auto parts stores and found a lot of 42 amp alternators but they were all stamped mid 70's

• The alternator fan should have 13 blades and be flat in the middle.

The spacer should be thicker than the later version and the pulley

should be marked -C straight over and not the -H in a half moon shape.

/Bo

• There is good evidence that 38 amp alternators were used as well. I talked to a guy who worked at Ford during 1965 production and his job was to stamp the alternators. He said he had a fixture to set the alternator in which for us was bottom side up. The fan was facing away from him. He then stamped the alternator with the appropriate color coded stamp. He also stamped the date code with another stamp. He said the color of the date stamping was different for each of the three shifts, but he could not remember the colors.

• Bob,

Any pics of the date code so we can see style and placement? Was the format like say the date code on a heater motor= Oct 22 1965 made with a common pump style date stamper consisting of rolling the wheels for 365 day capability?

Also I hear your guy say the alt was fixtured, then stamped. Does that mean the stamping action was actually done by hand-allowing for perhaps a bit of a crooked stamp? I was always curious if the ink stamping was done by a machine and therefore more consistently straight in it's placement.

-Ray

Edited by - poboy427 on 10/28/2010 17:31:39

• Yes, each stamping was done by hand, at least in 1965 production. So, the stamping had an area to be placed, but nothing more specific, and will vary. The date code stamping was in the same general area, but instructions on how to be placed -- just "somewhere". In the pictures I have seen, the date stamp on production alternators was on the right of the Autolite stamping. I have seen one reading the same direction as the Autolite stamp (about a June 1965 stamping), and one turned 90 degrees (An August 1964 stamping). Both stampings were very weak and nearly impossible to read. The format was the month in three capital letters, the day, followed by the full year (e.g., AUG 20 1964 or JUN 10 1965). More samples are needed to draw conclusions. What complicates things are the many other stampings found on service replacement alternators that do not match the production versions. Some of these replacements were thought to be production, so there remains confusion. Until more originals are located, we will not know. Unfortunately, the stampings were hidden on the 289 when mounted on the engine, and faded into oblivion rather quickly

I reported that my source said the color of the stamping was according to the amp rating and that the date stamping was a different color for each shift. The two found so far with good evidence of production originality show the color of the date stamping to be the same as the amp rating. Furthermore, the 38 amp alternator color code was to be purple -- but it looks blue to me (next to true blue it might have a purple tint to the blue color, but not the true purple we think of).

Complicating things further, I have seen stampings of 1965 alternators out of Canada with the FoMoCo stamping, service replacements with the stamping on the left side of the Autolite stamping, and date stamping using a letter for the month (e.g., B 22 1965, with the 22 in a different font than the 1965). In all these cases, the date code color was the same as the Autolite or FoMoCo stamping.

We need more data!!!

• Bob,

Thanks for the quick add to the thread. Underhood temps will play with colors too as in the purple/blue thing. Radiator paint will have the gloss die off to something flatter after heat cycling as well.

I was researching a theory that the date stamp would be either white, yellow, or orange dependent on the shift but you kind of shot that down-which is good. You have seen tons more than I have.

My theory was based on the heater motor that I mentioned. Mine followed the Oct 22 1965 date format and was stamped in white. I thought I had seen one stamped in yellow but I can not put my hands on that unit.

Just in closing my heater box is stamped in yellow Y5LC. The letters are neat and uniform about 1/2 inch tall and really are lacking a font or style. Then to my amazement upon close inspection clearly they have brush strokes in the paint markings. They just look too neat and uniform to be done by hand. Don't want to stray to far from the thread but any comments on this finding.

-Ray

• 1966 Build Sheets have a field entitled RAD NS (Radio Noise Suppression), TRAN REG (Transistorized Regulator), ALT. (Alternator).

For T, C, and A code engines this field is normally blank. However, for K-codes this field usually carries an “8” code.

My MPC indicates that only two alternators were available on Mustangs: the 38 and 42 amp.

While I have codes for 45, 53, 55, and 60 amp alternators, these only were available on other Ford vehicles.

If I assume that a blank field indicates the baseline 38 amp alternator was used on most Mustangs, then an “8” code indicates something other than the baseline. And since the 42 amp alternator is the only Mustang option, I would conclude that the 42 amp unit was used on the K-codes I have build sheets on.

Edited by - Pete Bush on 10/29/2010 07:50:20

• If K code build sheets are calling out a code in the ALT section, I'd have to guess that that is due to the larger pulley.

What MPC are you using that shows only 38A and 42A were available on Mustangs and what model year are you referring to?

• Charles,

I'm using the 65-72 MPC. Section 10346 Alternator Application Chart pg. 34 for 1966 (the current year of my build sheet study). It appears that for 1965 the 45 amp alternator was also available. The 1966 build sheet code for the 45 amp alternator was "9".

I have three '65 Metuchen build sheets for K-codes, and none has a code indicated for alternators.

The two '66 K-code build sheets I have both have an "8". One is a Metuchen 11K date and one is a Dearborn 26D.

Edited by - Pete Bush on 10/29/2010 07:48:43

Edited by - Pete Bush on 10/29/2010 07:53:35

• Charles, I have an MPC that has not been updated since 1970, which has numbers and applications that are absent from the current 1975 final edition. I also have the 1975 final edition of the MPC. Both of them have 38, 42 and 45 amp alternators as being the only ones available on Mustangs for 65 and 66. The 55 amp version was not available on a Mustang until 67. There is no listing on alternators for Mustangs based on engine size or horsepower in either of my MPC's. I hope that this is of some help here.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

My 1975 Final Edition has only two alternators available for 1966 Mustangs. In 1966, only the Thunderbird, Bronco, and Falcon had the 45 amp option. Is this still correct in prior MPC's

• Pete, I stand corrected on the 66 application as you are correct.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I am also looking for an alternation for a December 21st 64 built Kar. So I am looking for a 42amp with an orange stamping and no date stamp ? Has anyone bought from BNR thats listed on Ebay ? I e-mailed them inquiring about the alternator.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!