equalizer bar / clutch spring

• I have a July '66 Dearborn Kar, and using the photo here as a reference, I have the mounting tab under the master cylinder on the firewall, but no hole provision on my Z bar. Should I have a spring like this, and what if I don't have a z bar hole? Do I have the wrong Z bar for this kar?

[Blocked Image: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/59295d1232326311-1966-289-4-speed-clutch-rod-spring-s-clutch-spring.jpg]

Thanks,

Troy

• Oh yea, my modified C code '65 Mustang DOES have this Z bar hole, but no mounting tab on the firewall (:

Troy

Edited by - 66gtk on 07/14/2009 15:52:16

• The additional spring was a running change made, I think, around January of 1966. I would assume that the Ford replacement 'Z' bars would have the hole, but aftermarket bars may not.

Jim

• Troy,

I agree with Jim, I remember reading somewhere when the running change was made but can't find the reference at the moment, it was somewhere between Jan - March 66 though. I have the same setup on my late March 66 SJ car. Your July 66 car should definitely have this and is likely missing the OE Z-bar with the hole.

Let me know if you find a source for the spring, I've never been able to find one and would like a backup.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• FYI GUYS......Not all NOS bars came with this hole.

I purchased a REGULAR Z Bar in 1986 from Ford to repair my Hipo - purchased from the Ford Dealer in Norman, Ok where I was going to school.

I had to modify the lower section to get it to work - just like the previous regular bar my dad installed in 1980.

It was a NOS bar with the Ford tag and no hole.

This was before anyone had reproduced the HiPo Z bar.

• The Ford MPC lists the changeover date as from 2/14/66. Ralph, the reason that the standard Z/Bar that you bought from Ford did not have the hole is because it was actually a 65 part number that was still available at the time. The part number is a C5ZZ 7528 E and the only difference from the early 66 one is that the upper swivel for 65 is on the bar. The way to use it on your 66 is to remove the swivel. The part number for the Hipo Z/Bar from 2/14/66 is a C6ZZ 7528 E. The earlier one is a C6ZZ 7528 B.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a good photo or details of the mounting tab below the master cylinder for the top spring. My z bar has the top hole with wear marks but all I have on the firewall is the slit?

Cheers

Ben

Edited by - bmsa66 on 04/21/2011 00:32:28

Cheers

Ben

66 GT Koupe, May San Jose build.

• Ben, I would check behind the firewall padding to see if it fell inside of there. The tab is generally loose and can fall inside of the car.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!