289 REAR MAIN CAP CASTING NUMBERS

• Someone is pulling some's leg. The C3OE-6329-A cap is a HiPo crankshaft front main bearing cap -- but is marked with an arrow and a number 1. The rear cap is marked C3OE-A. The standard 289 rear cap cap is marked C2OE-B.

• I have a set of hipo caps that has the rear cap marked with a '4' and a stamped 'D'. The regular #4 cap also has a '4' but with an arrow. and the # 2 cap has C3OE, a '2' and an arrow. 1 & 3 are typical with '1' & '3' and arrows.

• This is getting very confusing as these tend to stray from what is considered to be the "norm". Pictures of all of these posted here would be a real education for all of us.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• This is very interesting. Chuck's rear cap and the Mexican cap have the same 6329 casting number. I have a set of Mexican caps but they only have the date code on the rear cap.

Dave
    6S1757

• Chuck

Since we last talked the other nite I have given it some thought and

here is what I came up with for the debate:

If a person ruined a HiPo maincap in the late 60's is it possible that Ford would only sell a full set of caps and marked the rear main with the full PN rather than a partial number as came from the factory. Would make sense that Ford would need a full number for the service part(s). Do you think these are service caps if there was such a thing. Also could have been a very small run of 25-50 sets. I think this is more possible then any Mexican connection. How bout this for a pitch-very rare Dragon Snake caps!! Ray

• edit: sorry, I've tried and tried to post a pic, but it always shows up HUGE. I don't know how to make it work.

I stand corrected - the regular #4 cap has the 'c3oe', and #2 has what looks like a date code '17B7'

Edited by - toolbox on 10/30/2007 16:47:36

Edited by - toolbox on 10/30/2007 16:56:08

Edited by - toolbox on 10/30/2007 16:57:18

Edited by - toolbox on 10/30/2007 17:08:14

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Chuck

Since we last talked the other nite I have given it some thought and

here is what I came up with for the debate:

If a person ruined a HiPo maincap in the late 60's is it possible that Ford would only sell a full set of caps and marked the rear main with the full PN rather than a partial number as came from the factory. Would make sense that Ford would need a full number for the service part(s). Do you think these are service caps if there was such a thing. Also could have been a very small run of 25-50 sets. I think this is more possible then any Mexican connection. How bout this for a pitch-very rare Dragon Snake caps!! Ray

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> I have worked at ford dealerships for the last 25 years and i can say that it could be possible , if there is a non mexican service replacement block out there in K land a picture of the bottom end would be worth a thousand words, Chuck.

• Chuck, do you know the origin of your caps? Is it possible the 1-4 caps are Mexican with the dates ground off? I did some image analysis on the pic of your caps Bob posted using software I have available at work and find "possible" evidence of what's left of the date code "pad" usually seen on Mexican caps on cap#2. Also on caps 3 and 4 are possible traces of the cast "screw" seen on the Mexican cap pad. This doesn't explain the rear cap unless it is a very early (transition?) Mexican cap. Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Chuck, do you know the origin of your caps? Is it possible the 1-4 caps are Mexican with the dates ground off? I did some image analysis on the pic of your caps Bob posted using software I have available at work and find "possible" evidence of what's left of the date code "pad" usually seen on Mexican caps on cap#2. Also on caps 3 and 4 are possible traces of the cast "screw" seen on the Mexican cap pad. This doesn't explain the rear cap unless it is a very early (transition?) Mexican cap. Dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> These caps were part parts lot i purchased some time ago and they were the only caps in the lot,i looked them over very close and see no indication of grinding or shot peening to remove metal on the caps ,all 5 caps were dirty and tarnished ,all i did was clean them with a wire wheel .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!