Thinking of Petronix

• Has anybody switched to Petronix Ignitor 2 ignition - I like that it maintains a stock look and was wondering if anybody has done it and realized performance/economy gains.

I also was wondering if it works with our stock Coils since it wants a 12v source optimally. I could get a Flame Thrower coil and paint the top yellow, but they appear to be much longer and would possibly not fit in the stock location without hitting the dip stick or sticking up way too high?

Any insights? Does anybody know the difference in size between the stock coil and the Flame Thrower?

Edited by - 66gtk on 05/21/2008 08:14:32

• I use the flame thrower on my 67 and it fits very well.

It's a little bit longer than the original but fits fine.

The biggest difference is in performance together with

Pertronix ignition cables. Like a new car.

/Bo

• I have had the Pertronix 2 and Flamethrower coil in my car for over three years now. Works great. Starts right away and is zero maintenance. Can't say it truly gives any more performance or economy. Just nice and simple. I think with the P2, you do need to use their coil. It is a little smaller in diameter so I wrapped a sheet metal shim around it and it fit right in the factory mount without issue. Hope that helps.

Mark

• I Have a 65 K with a Flamethrower. It sits in the original position without hitting anything.

The following thread has some info regarding MSD ignition and Rally-Pacs that may be (or not) relevant:

HIPO Thread

Regards,

René

• Just to throw in another opinion...Had a Pertronix that worked fine for a few years then died. When back to points and haven't had a problem since, they work. Not convinced the Pertronix QC is that great.

If you decide to switch, carry your intact original dual point plate, or a spare Pertronix, in the trunk for a quick fix in case of a failure.

Dave
    6S1757

• Have had my original type Pertronix for 8 years so far with no problems - I do carry a spare unit with me just in case. I also use their Flame Thrower coil, which fits fine in the original coil clamp.

Jack

• Official Post

I have had the older version Pertronix in my Kar for over 18 years without any failure issues. I use it with a stock coil. I do carry my old dual point setup in the glove box just in case.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• My Flame Thrower II Ignition is on order as is my Flame Thrower II Coil. They should be in this week. (back order from Christmas)

The 7.0MM Pertronix wires are installed, though I'm not as satisfied with the length compared to the hipo wires. I also went ahead and replaced the plugs. I'm 95% sure I had a fouled plug.

I'll keep you posted once it's all installed.

• We'll time for the install, but I can't seem to figure out which original wire connects to the + and which connects to the - of the Flamer Thrower II coil.

I have 1 red with white stripe wire running to what is labeled as Battery on the yellow cap coil.

I have 2 green wires connected to what is labeled Dist. I goes to the ignition (I assume or is this for the rally pack) and the other is going to the dist, but will be removed during the Ignitor II electronic ignition install.

Which goes to which?

• The thing that made the most difference was the Pertronix ignition

cables. Had Marti's HiPo repos and they worked fine but the new

cables gave a new kick and throttle response.

This is mounted in my 67 Shelby with a 289 HiPo, Ford 4-speed and

3.89:1 Detroit Locker rears.

/bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!