Z bar question?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

It is a pretty common practice to weld gussets to the bar. There are some folks that swear this is unnecessary if the pivot bushings are properly cared for and lubricated. I've had enough of them bend through the years................"

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

plenty of them bent within a few months of the cars delivery when new (can't blame cheap reproductions or Chinese steel for that). I've been reading the new SAAC registry and am seeing MANY warranty claims and repairs for bent or folded up Z bars on the '65 & '66 GT-350's.

Mine is gusseted by the tube and has a steel reinforcement band the length of the "arms". Opentracker did it for me when I bought one of his rollerized z bars set ups.

even if I had the original z bar I would still have it modified.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/clutchrods/

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 02/12/2011 21:21:35

• I had a K convertible back in the '70's and I had one bend on me when I was pulling into the garage. Had to shut the motor down and jump on the brakes to avoid going through the wall! Started gusseting them back then on the recommendation of the local Ford parts manager and they were over-the-counter Ford parts. It was a very common issue.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I had a K convertible back in the '70's and I had one bend on me when I was pulling into the garage. Had to shut the motor down and jump on the brakes to avoid going through the wall! Started gusseting them back then on the recommendation of the local Ford parts manager and they were over-the-counter Ford parts. It was a very common issue.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I too had a K Convertible back in the mid 70s-it was my FIRST car-I paid just $500.00 for it and had NO IDEA what it was: Anyway when I installed a super-strong Zoom racing clutch setup my Z bar bent under the pressure and a local welder fixed it with a somewhat crude gusset-it was very ugly but it worked! I won't do my present one that is original until/if it bends....(I'm running THE original clutch setup that has been rebuilt)

could s.o. post a picture of the correct K

equalizer rod/bar and Z bar?

i'm not sure NPD has it pictured correctly

iowa

Pictures of the Z Bar (and all the other unique Mustang HiPo parts) appear in the book: <b><i> The 289 High Performance Mustang</i></b> by Tony Gregory. Consider purchasing a copy of this valuable reference manual, and you'll be supporting this site by your purchase. LINK TO PURCHASE BOOK HERE

• Would someone who has done the gusset modification mind posting a diagram with recommended gusset placements and diagram where to put the zerk?

BTW, in case anyone is thinking to ask, I bought the Gregory book and the Mannel book as well. Always try to support the troops.

Much obliged

• [Blocked Image: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/zrayr/car%20parts/th_DSC_0708.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/zrayr/car%20parts/th_DSC_0705.jpg]

when you pull up the photo on photobucket web site you can click on it for the full size version.

I put a zerk in the bottom. not visible in these photos. It does take a lot grease to fill the tube.

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 02/14/2011 13:44:10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!