Tie Down Plates

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

here is the other side of mine

looks like a big 'cupped' out area near the hole at the top

were these removed on arrival before selling

or were they left on the car?

sorry to be such a bother

iowa

[Blocked Image: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/2010_09_19_014_tie_down.jpg]

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The scenerio goes like this:

- Somewhere on the assembly line, the tie down plates were installed. The installer grabbed two, some addition hardware if needed, and put them on the car. I think before the exhaust system was installed on a Mustang as access to the bolts is restricted.

- When the finished car was put on a truck or train, two chains were attached to the plates and tightened. The front was chained down via holes in the frame rails (per a former delivery driver).

- At a distribution point, the cars were placed on another truck to go to a specific dealer and chained down again.

- As part of dealer prep, the dealer was supposed to remove the tie down plates and return them to the assembly plant for reuse. We know that didn't happen with any discipline. I would think that cars sent overseas would retain the plates as returning them would not be cost effective.

Jim

• Mine were left on.....4/26/66 dearborn Kar.

According to my Window Sticker, it was delivered via CONVOY to Duthler Ford in Grand Rapids, Michigan. So I don't believe the Tie downs were ever used.

Mark

• The term CONVOY is referring to the truck that delivers multiple cars to the dealers and the truck would utilize the tie downs.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• i've always been a sucker for basket cases!

s.t. i'll post a picture of my 1st car...'63 VW beatle

and how it looked before i restored it!!

the tie down on the right is still on my car!

it too, looks like s.o. tried to hack saw through

the rear part of the rail where it is attached...

i wonder if s.o. was finally trying to remove them

and couldn't do it by removing the bolts etc.

probably will never know

iowa

• what are the MCA judging standards for these tie downs?

if one but a 'K' car new

and these had been left on,

would there be reduction of points?

iowa

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

They're not required for concours judging, but if they are installed, they have to be the correct finish with correct hardware.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Being that the tie down plates are a "reused" part, have little if any documentation and were installed with what hardware was available, scratches, rust and mismatched hardware would be the norm for factory installed items. That being said, I would recomend that if installed, the associated items be "clean" at the least.

Jim

• Charles:

Regarding your comment on appropriate finish for concours judging, am I reading correctly that some were found painted, while others were not? Is this another example of Ford's consistency in manufacturing?

This would beg the question of how to judge their appropriate finish. Are the plates considered "correct" by MCA if they are painted? If so: gloss black, or satin?

Or, are they allowed to be parkerized?

I hope the MCA reply is NOT "natural only." It's tough to maintain a bare metal finish for a few points. And, from the above information, there seems to be some variance in finish.

Great information!

Charles:

Regarding your comment on appropriate finish for concours judging, am I reading correctly that some were found painted, while others were not? Is this another example of Ford's consistency in manufacturing?

Often a differences in supplier - so the next question would be - Where was your Mustang built? (for the correct response)

Edited by - J_Speegle on 11/10/2010 22:31:07

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!