65 Engine Bay Concours Restoration

• Hi there

I am thinking about restoring my 65GTK engine bay to concours specs.

Can anyone guide me as to where i would find detailed pictures and dialogue for this?

Thanks

Tony

• Be VERY CAREFUL about copying from pictures/magazines as most are incorrect (including mine!). If you are going to copy from a picture or so, make sure it is from the right car (there maybe only a handful).

• thanks for your reponses to date..i have Tony Gregorys book i didnt think to check in there.

i would have thought that a book on concours restoration would have been made by now?

i think it would be a great seller!!

Thanks again

Tony

• There are many variables that go into how you detail the car, particularly those that are unique to the assembly plant. Be careful detailing your car from photos of other "restored" cars as frequently people choose to copy incorrect details from others. Unfortunately, this only serves to perpetuate the problem. Do your research, and if you are in doubt, don't duplicat a detail you can't confirm.

• Would agree with other comments here - DON"T IMHO copy much of what you see in magazines and restored cars. Instead seek out unrestored cars built at the same plant same time. You would be surprised of the differences - small as they may be - that are there.

So to provide any assistance the first question would be when and where was the car built?

Edited by - J_Speegle on 02/20/2010 20:09:48

• J Speegle thankyou for your offer to help with this

My car is a San Jose Car 1965 Build date August 20V Date Code

If you need more info let me know

Tony

Edited by - tonyc on 02/21/2010 01:48:03

• The engine specific details should be the same as all the other engines from that period so I'll let you source that through the book and others here.

Since its am Aug 65 San Jose car the difference in the engine compartment are as follows.

One of the differences we see between the plant is the finish of the black engine compartment black, over the body color, at the rear edge of the fender flange at the cowl. Unlike other plants this was a soft edge (not masked off nor typically finished with a brush) The vast majority of the time this soft line, lines up with the front edge of the cowl to firewall pinch weld.

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/65%20Mustangs/5R07T236661Paintvreak.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/65%20Mustangs/5R07T236661Paintvreak2.jpg]

Of course all the typical details about the engine compartment should be there like

1- Brake master cylinder and cap painted semi-gloss black

2- Brake lines, electrical connections, steering column, heater, master cylinder, fuel lines and related parts were in place (no engine ground though)when the sealant was sprayed around/over all openings and mounting points on the fire wall. Typically it appears that the worker moved the wand from one point to the next - never shutting it off. Sort of a connect the dots pattern

3- Fender to inner fender sealant was typically applied (dark grey or black) to the very outer edge of the fender lip (inner fender) so none should be visible once the fender is installed except for a somewhat small bead along where the VIN is visible (approx 3/8" bead along that edge).

4- Hood hinges and springs are of course phosphate and oil. Often we find sealant between the hood and the hinges as well as the hinges and inner fenders on 65 SJ cars

5- No chalking strip or "dumb - dumb" around heater hoses at the firewall IMHO

6- Looks like that period typically used the smooth fender and inner fender (front spring covers) washers

7- Service decal examples

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/65%20Mustangs/5R09C258289eng2.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/65%20Mustangs/5R09C256803psw.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/65%20Mustangs/5R07T258388dsengcompartment.jpg]

Since Charles has had a few of these recently (little earlier in the year by about 5 months so there are some differences) - he may have some details to add.

Edited by - J_Speegle on 02/22/2010 02:25:27

• Guys,

What about the steering box being "blacked out" on top? Charles you show this in your blog, but I seem to be getting conflicting answers on the Shelbys that were built at San Jose in the spring of '65? THis seems to be a major detailing difference for these cars anyway...

• I found the steering box blackout on 3 different San Jose cars built around the end of January, early February '65. I feel confident in my examination of the parts that they were originally done like this. I have not studied any later or earlier examples to make any definitive claims. I will say that I also found the same thing on a May '65 Dearborn car.

MCA rules simply state they can be either way.

• Hi everyone

Thankyou all for your contributions...keep them coming i really appreiate it.

Shane my car is a Wimbledon White GT Fastback//i have the original invoice..

I would love to see your car post some pics

Tony

• <div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
    Hi Tony , thats amazing , exact same car Details , i will dig out some pics from 3 yrs ago when it was still in the States , i am in process at moment of Pieceing back together after a 3 year Resto , I also did my Steering Box like Caspian , very Helpful in Resto.

Any chance of seeing pics of your Original Kar.

Shane
    </div>

• Hi Shane

If you go under K Mustangs for sale and the heading 65/66 GTK you will see my car there

Let me know if you cant find it and i will email some pics to you

Thanks

Tony

• Hi Tony , found pics , thats an awesome looking car , they do looking stunning in the White even though im Not a fan of White Cars , wouldnt mind seeing more pics of car sometime if you are able too , i did wonder if my car was a factory GT , it does have a Factory Cut Out in the Dash for the 5 Dial dash , as seen as it was built on same day and same Plant as yours i Guess that kinda Confirms things.

Shane

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!