4 Speed speedometer cable?

• I recently bought from a seller on Ebay an NOS Ford 4 speed speedometer cable for my '65 Convertible.

It did not come with the foam insulation stuff on it in the area where it passes through the firewall.

What can be used for/in place of the foam that would look right?

• I slit the underside of my old foam sleeve, cleaned it up, wrapped it around the new cable, used the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive (3M8008) to seal it back up and then some black 3M strip calk to keep it in place in the hole. Use the old cable to determine the position of the sleeve.

Jim

• This is a great idea!! I only hope that my old piece has survived and can be transfered to the new cable.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

But there has got to be something on this great earth that is new and will fit the bill and be correct looking, I wonder just why this simple foam isn't reproduced??

• I looked into refrigerator cooling line foam insulation tubes and they may also work. The sleeve still has to be slit and fitted, so I went with the old one. If yours is a bit on the ragged side, hit up some junk yards.

Jim

• Did the same on my 65 Shelby when I restored

it in the beginning of the 90's. Found an excellent

piece of foam at a dismantling yard, Monty's Mustang

Mart in Denver, CO, sliced it and put it on my NOS

wire, glued it. Still fine after 16-17 years.

/Bo

• What is so darn special about this foam?? does anyone have a picture of the original?? I'll bet something can be had in a plumbing or refridgeration supply house that would be real close???

• I did a Google search for "Ford speedometer cable foam" and came up with Mac's Antique Auto Parts has a "Speedometer to firewall seal-'66-'77 Bronco-Dense foam rubber" listed as pn C6TZ-17261-A for $4.95, does anyone know of this? tried it? is it the same as the foam used on '65 Mustangs? there is a picture of it on their website, but its not real clear.

• I would guess that what they are selling is a replacement type part. Something that functions as original but probably off in appearance.

Scott at NPD asked me a while back to send him an original sample so they could reproduce it correctly. I need to do that!

• I sent Mac's an Email inquireing about this foam, I will advise when they answer.I am inclined to order a couple just to see what they look like, I can't say that I've ever paid much attention to the originals on cars at shows, I'd sure like to see a picture of it!

• There is a used original one on ebay now for 9.99 that has a header burn but it has the original rubber type not the service foam type, not sure if you can get it to go on a new cable hope this helps Bob

• Anyone seen the "EXACT" duplicate that Laurel Mountain Mustang has on Ebay made by Daniel Carpenter?? pic is small but looks to have foam on it, and according to "Jason" @ LM it IS exact.$23.95 buy it now.

• Most of what Laurel Mountain Mustang sells is wonderful for a driver or resell car. They also have very good deals through Ebay. However for a show car I would pass most of the time.

• One more item, and perhaps Fred will help out here; I believe the foam was on the service replacement cables. The originals had the tapered rubber grommet that was one piece molded rubber.

• Dave is correct that the service replacement cables from Ford have the foam. All of the ones that I have removed have had a very degraded, almost dripping and sometimes very flaky, foam on them. I know that 69/70 ones have a grommet. Charles would probably be the best to address this issue if there are any doubts.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Guys, I think you got this mixed up.

The Ford service replacement cables have the rubber sleeve

and the originals have the foam. I am only talking about

the 4-speed cars here. Have one of these service

replacements in the original bag and it has the rubber sleeve.

/Bo

Edited by - BoS on 07/31/2008 23:53:12

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!