Fuel pump rebuilding

• Fred,

You are going to go to Hi-Po heaven for all the work you have done just on this one project alone !

Even though I don't have a pump that I could've sent you for rebuilding, I still want to commend you for helping to keep all these cars on the road & in original condition.

Z. Ray

• I realize I am probalby too late to get in on this, but I do have three button top cores. One 3939, (Not available) and two non-HiPo cores that I could be talked out of.

• Fred, I have a 4193S I wasn't planning on having rebuilt but if it will make a difference with the quota I'll send it to you, LMK. Thanks, Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Robert, Getting the pin out without drilling out the pump can range from easy to tough depending on how tight the pin is still in the arm and body. I had to improvise a few tools to make it work and it is clear to me that Carter designed the pump so that the pin could be removed. The pin also need to be cleaned with some carb spray as the oil residue sometines prevents the pins removal. All that said, I have two of my own pumps that I have been as yet unsuccessful in removing the pin with my method. I have been successful on everyone elses pumps.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I guess what I'm asking what process and tools are you using to get the pin out?I haven't really figured out a way to get hold of it without using a punch?

• After cleaning pump arm and pin using bottom and front holes with carb cleaner I removed the spring and bottom arm to spring and pin came out with long needle nose pliers working from center.Push spring up and pump arm comes lose.Now all I have to do is get diaphragm out of housing and find rebuild kit and I'm good to go.However this is a 3734S pump and not the crimped kind housing as my car is early!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

After cleaning pump arm and pin using bottom and front holes with carb cleaner I removed the spring and bottom arm to spring and pin came out with long needle nose pliers working from center.Push spring up and pump arm comes lose.Now all I have to do is get diaphragm out of housing and find rebuild kit and I'm good to go.However this is a 3734S pump and not the crimped kind housing as my car is early!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

If you find a rebuild kit, please let me know as I have a pump needing rebuilt also. Thanks.

• Got rebuild kit from AMK as I had found that most of the people who have parts for these pumps want to stick it to you for shipping plus cost of kit.Anyway I got the AMK kit which is made to use the gas today as the rubber stuff isn't really rubber anymore.Kit seems to be nicely made but there are some mods to be made as some of the kit parts doesn't have some of the holes needed so pay attention to your stock parts and replicate but rebuild was real nice and pump looks great.Have to get a spring and arm yet but should work out.I have some other parts I'm going to use and will update as I finish as to what I used!

• I have been at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this last week so I have not been on the forum. I have been working with my emails though. I just retrieved all of my phone messages and the rebuilder says that the pump bodies and tin are now reassembled. My plan is to pick them up tomorrow so that I can reinstall the pump rocker arms and springs. I will then be getting them shipped out. I wish to thank everyone for their patience on this project. Just as in restoring whole cars, everything always takes longer than you originally anticipate.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!