Replacement carpet fit and quality

• I recieved a response from ACC about the fit of their carpet. I sent them pictures showing the lumps on the transmission hump and in the front floor pans. They recommended putting a pad under the hump and using a heat gun on the rest. They also mentioned that they thought they have fixed the problem on future carpet orders. Who knows how long you will have to wait for them to sell the existing inventory and get one of the "fixed" carpet pieces?

In other words, I guess I am on my own to fix the problem without assistance from ACC, but I should keep buying from them in the future. I am very disappointed with their response.

• I too got an email from Keith today in response to another letter i sent him about his product. He explained how they had to change this and that, their dye was done elsewhere. blahblahblah. He said they had other types of backing other than what we are getting that offers more dense feel and that you cannot see through. He sais I will not be able to see through it when installed Oh boy! No offer to make anything better. I sent them a sample of THIER floor carpet to get it matched to the kick panels and fold down area. He said he will try to make sure they match Their carpet to the rest of the stuff they are going to send. I hope to be near the end of this soon. It began in October and is still on going. Once again, I think that if a person wanted to get in the carpet business ACC could be buried. I hate to see them fail as I have always used their product but it gets more difficult to endorse a product that causes so much trouble. I do hope they get their $hit together and once again make a useable product. Will post more as this unfolds. Murf

• Hold their current carpeting up in the air and look through it.... it's like looking through a screen door. Maybe slightly exagerated but not by much!

I sure hope they fix the problem(s)...

• Another set of fold-down and kick panel carpet arrived Friday from ACC. This little package contained carpet that is the nearest in color to the floor carpet they sent earlier. Keith at ACC sent an email saying he and the carpet people had picked it out and matched my sample. The color is not bad - the type of material or i guess "weave is different but this is the end of the story. They won! No one can spend months putting in carpet and taking it out and putting in more. ENOUGH! I took out the fold down area again, installed what they sent and am calling it quits. With the back seat useable so little carpet shows - only when the seat is folded down would the difference in material be noticeable. The kick panel does not look that bad - the rows in the carpet at right angle to the floor carpet and that helps. As far as the pucker in the tunnel area - that problem is hidden by the console. The areas that others see is acceptable. God help you if a console is not in your car. They say that the problems are fixed now but there must be a lot of stock in the "pipeline" that somebody is going to have to fight and bitch about. I hope ACC really has taken care of their issues or we as mustang people are going to be in a mess when it comes to carpet. Time will tell.

• Murf - I suppose I'll have to buy a console, huh? We're all happy that you were our representative in this saga. I imagine that, once we've installed carpet, it cannot be returned, but I might try. I really have done nothing to it except cut out the shifter hole.

In the meantime, I ran across an old list of vendors in my area and a custom carpet place is listed. I'm going to contact them to get some idea of quality and costs.

• Noel: I have only paid for one set of carpet during this entire ordeal. I have in my shop several sets to be returned to NPD - some have been installed, some were so wrong that there was no use attempting installation. Jeff at NPD will issue a pick up order with UPS when I call him this week and all of it will go back. NPD has been great in this matter. I can not praise them enough. They really have gone the extra mile to fix the problem and I highly endorse them. I returned the first set at my expense in October and NPD has offered to compensate me for that too in the way or credit on another order. I am MORE than happy with the effort NPD made. I hope that others who have issues with this carpet continue to send it back or take up the matter with vendors. That is how these problems get resolved, not from one guy bitching. The ball is moving now but I think that many more unhappy customers will have to make their misery known before too much in the way of results comes our way. If you have problems with carpet for your Mustang I encourage you all to contact your vendor.

• This saga began in October of 2005, 15 months ago and it may be one of the longest lasting discussions on this forum. I mentioned last yeat that I would continue this battle or die - well, the old ticker is still beating and am happy to sit here and type what I think will be the last report on this issue of carpet and ACC. I could not stand to look any longer at the carpet in my car, even though I said that i was done and that ACC had beaten me up on this deal. So with fresh attitude I once again stripped the interior out of the old car and decided to keep trying since it made me half sick to see the mess that I had been left with. First was to purchase a new set of carpet from a different suplier. Ordered a set of ACS - which is now sold by a number of reputable vendors (Branda, Va mustang to name a couple) and after talking to the salespeople on the phone was convinced that all would be good. Well, the ACS arrived and it was certainly not what any of us would want. The color (MOSS GREEN) was so far removed from the original that NOBODY would have accepted it. In addition, the new carpet had been made with the most awful color heel and toe pad that anyone could imagine. In addition, the heel pad sewed to the carpet was one for a convertrible (they are smaller and very obviously incorrect) and the area where the back seat inner quarter panel meets the carpet was a "square" cut as opposed to the scalloped shape that is correct, leaving once again the bald spot where the floor shows when the carpet is installed. I discussed this with both the vendor and the manufacturer with little interest on either part. "No one else has that problem" was pretty much their attitude. BS! That set was never installed since the only part that could have possibly fit and been correct was the fold down area, and it was so far off from the original moss green that anyone could notice it looked strange with the rest of the interior. So, back to ACC to see if they really had inproved their product in the past year. I talked directly to Keith Howell again and he said he would help out with all of the old problems. He suggested that I use their product called MASS BACK and sent a set. I can tell all of you that it is so far superior to anything else they have sent that it was almost like dealing with a different company. The mass back was great, it fit well, had none of the other issues we have discussed, and the color was not an exact match but much better than anything so far and I can live with it. It is CLOSE to the original that was provided to me by a member of this forum, Jim Woods. The rear carpet in the new set once again was cut wrong, and after some photos of the problem and a photo of an original rear carpet showing the correct scallop (provided by Jim Woods) the second set of rear floor area fit well and was much improved in the corner areas. I have all of the lastest mass backed carpet installed now, and wanted to publicly thank Keith Howell at ACC for being the hardest working guy in the customer service industry. We had our "moments" during the past 15 months, but he never quit trying to satisfy a cranky old guy with an obsession for Mustangs. So a public THANK YOU to Keith Howell at ACC for stepping up to the problems ( and there were many) and doing what ever it took to make things right. Thanks also to all of the folks at NPD for their help. Without them going the extra mile this story would never have had a happy ending. If YOU are still having problems with ACC carpet I feel it can be resolved. If you are considering the ACS brand, I hope your experience is better than mine. So thanks to all of you on this forum for all of the help, suggestions and confort during this rather drawn out affair. You can get a decent set of carpet, so take heart.

• Great writeup Murf. Thanks for the diligence but I hope we all don't have to go through 15 months of agony for our sets. Hopefully they're fixing the problems as a result.

Greg Z

• This post was well written and helpful. I just confirmed my idea to paint or dye my faded black carpet on my FB and to not attempt to replace it.

Any hints on dyeing black carpet that is turning a bit brown fade in areas?

Troy

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

So basically we need to ask for the Mass Back version if we want a good fitting carpet? I had heard about a higher quality carpet that was available but had to be special-ordered.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> I guess that is the best way. I am not sure that many/most of the vendors are equipped to deal with that kind of an order, but the carpet with the extra backing was sure a good fit. It stood up and looked just like the floor of the car as woon as it was taken out of the box. The "form" of the floor was a good fit, there was more than enough material to trim which was an issue on the regular issue, and the box of carpet weighed 41 pounds as opposed to the 20 pounds that the regular boses weighed. The Mass back was only used on the floor sections - the kick panels and the fold down sections were the normal stuff and I doubt that one could get the backed carpet to fit on the fold-down area. It about 3 mm thicker than the non backed, and it just fits under the chrome molding around the fold down area. All of the issues of skimpy cutting in the right front area, the gearshift hole being misplaced and the poor forming were solved with this last box of carpet. I am sure that ACC is glad to not have me howling at their "door" but you can bet your bottom dollar that I am just as happy to at last have some carpet that is acceptable. I have no idea about the wear-ability, but the texture and fit and "screen door" thickness that showed the backing when installed in the car have all been dealt with. Maybe the normal carpet has improved enough to use it, I hope that it is a while before I have to monkey with carpet again.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any hints on dyeing black carpet that is turning a bit brown fade in areas?

Troy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Way back in the late Sixties, I "redyed" the faded red carpeting in my 1964 Fairlane using a box of RITT fabric dye that was a close match to the factory color. I mixed some up in a container of hot water, and added a <i>small</i> amount of concentrated carpet cleaner. (Woolite would probably work OK.) Apply it to the carpeting as though you are "cleaning" it, working the color into the fibers with a stiff brush. It was actually effective in restoring the faded out sections of my carpet.

• I had asked about the mass backed carpet on VMF and got no responses. Glad to hear it is a superior product. Not looking forward to but sounds like I will be replacing my bullcrap carpeting soon.

I could not find this offered by any of the usual Mustang vendors, and is vaguely mentioned on the ACC website. I found more information about it searching other carpet suppliers. I might have to make a visit to see it in person...

• I've found it on several carpet vendor web sites, but being special order I was hesitant to buy it without some feedback by someone who has used it. That's why I had asked about it on the VMF... The regular Mustang vendors don't seem to offer it, guess they don't want to deal with special orders.

• Just to add another scenerio to the discussion, I have an early '65 fastback that had the vinyl under the door sills instead of having carpet that goes up and under the sill plates.

The carpet was gone when I got the car (1989), just some of the vinyl remained. So I put in standard black carpet. It faded quickly and got mouse pee all over it, so out it went. At least it was thick. I bought another set of carpet around 1995/1996 that is still in the box. Probably ACC (will have to look).

Now that Virginia Classic Mustang offers the vinyl as well as a custom carpet order for early fastback, I will go that route to make it the correct style. It is ACC so it may or may not be as bad as standard. Probably will be worse. If anyone needs a full set of standard 1965/1966 black fastback carpet made in the mid 1990's, I may be willing to part with it for a reasonable price plus shipping. I'll have to check it first, though, to make sure that no mice have gotten into the box.

There is supposed to be padding on the trans tunnel, and I think that area gave me fit problems before. But it is easier to get my console (the only option other than K motor on my car) screws in correctly without extra padding.

Lyle

• I hope that when this merger happened the BEST of the two companies were kept and the poor practices that each of them had were thrown out the window. It would be a hell of a mess if the poor practices of each company were combined - we would never get an acceptable carpet in a million sets. Anyone purchased carpet recently and received a product made by the combined forces of ACC and ACS? I think there may be a date on the box that would indicate manufactured after 9/07 or some indication of the date of manufacture. I am curious to find out how much their product improved. I hope that they now make a great product that fits well, is correct in color and density, wears like iron and is not subject to getting the "frizzies" within a week of installation, and is backed by the best customer service in the industry. Now what happens to all of the existing inventory on vendors shelves?

• I've seen a lot of posts about the fastback Mustang carpet and wanted to ask to see if anyone had a line on a quality fitting 64.5 coupe carpet? Cars floor is black and hoping it's going to be easier?

• Back in the summer of '07 I installed new ACC carpet in my Boss 302 at the time and it was horrible. Much the same posts as these on this site can be found on the Boss 302 site. I worked with NPD and went through 3 sets of carpet before I got one that was OK, not great or good, just OK. I have to believe that ACC has caused NPD a lot of grief but through it all, NPD is the one that really showed what customer service is all about.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!