• A few suspect items on this deal are the standard type 65 motor mounts and the wide ratio trans. The picture of the head is good for a date code but a C5AE head looks the same in this spot. They may well be C5OE heads but you would need a different picture to tell for sure.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is that an early distributor with a cast iron water pump?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Sure looks like it...

• He said at the bottom of the ad in the Q&A area: this is a replacment engine as he was told the orginal engine was stolen. Just because it does not have a vin number on it doesn't necessarily mean it is a service block. May account for some of the suspect external parts.

• This setup did not meet reserve at $8,100.00. A friend of mine spoke with the seller while the auction was running and the Buy-It-Now would have been $12,500.00 if my friend had wanted it. It would seem to me that if the seller really wanted to sell it that pictures with the pan off would have been important.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• That's a lot of coin for a motor that cannot be verified as an actual K engine. Someone can buy heads, rods, main caps and a balancer for a whole lot less than $12k. With the motor mounts not being for a hi-po and the fan possibly being a repro, is there anything else of value there?

• The shape of the fan blades where they connect to the center appears to be correct and matches the originals that I have. It also has a balance weight that I have only seen on originals. The repros that I have in stock have a different shape for the blades. I will agree that $8,100 is more than tops even if the trans were correct. I have my doubts about the lower end without some pictures. The picture of the date code on the head is too close up to see if the cast in valve spring pockets are there. The only picture where I can make out the number on the upper end of the head looks to be an 18 which does not fall into the 19, 20 or 21 that is accepted for Hipo heads. It does not have a carburetor either.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

That's a lot of coin for a motor that cannot be verified as an actual K engine. Someone can buy heads, rods, main caps and a balancer for a whole lot less than $12k. With the motor mounts not being for a hi-po and the fan possibly being a repro, is there anything else of value there?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Charles is absolutely correct in my opinion. Even if all that is in the picture is K code correct 8100.00 is still high. From the looks of that engine it would have to be completely rebuilt and to do that right and make it factory correct you are going to have around 10,000.00 in cost for that. Maybe you could do the rebuild for a little less but when it is all said and done you will have between 15 and 18 K in an engine.

Gary

Edited by - garymcgowan on 10/03/2007 07:20:17

The shape of the fan blades where they connect to the center appears to be correct and matches the originals that I have. It also has a balance weight that I have only seen on originals. The repros that I have in stock have a different shape for the blades. I will agree that $8,100 is more than tops even if the trans were correct. I have my doubts about the lower end without some pictures. The picture of the date code on the head is too close up to see if the cast in valve spring pockets are there. The only picture where I can make out the number on the upper end of the head looks to be an 18 which does not fall into the 19, 20 or 21 that is accepted for Hipo heads. It does not have a carburetor either.

-Fred-

Fred, I spoke with the owner of the engine and if what he told me is correct the fan is original. He said the person he got the engine from cleaned and painted the fan. Still, as you say, 8100.00 is over the top.

Gary

• That is pretty crazy money for a core. I had a fresh engine with all matching date codes for sale about 2 years ago.....could not get 7k out of it. So, I did not sell it. It was complete with the exception of the carb.

That's a lot of coin for a motor that cannot be verified as an actual K engine. Someone can buy heads, rods, main caps and a balancer for a whole lot less than $12k. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Charles is absolutely correct in my opinion. Even if all that is in the picture is K code correct 8100.00 is still high. From the looks of that engine it would have to be completely rebuilt and to do that right and make it factory correct you are going to have around 10,000.00 in cost for that. Maybe you could do the rebuild for a little less but when it is all said and done you will have between 15 and 18 K in an engine.

Gary

That's exactly why it didn't sell...

• This guy won't sell that motor unless he finds the guy who is desperate and has deep pockets.It's been on E-Bay 4 other times for sale and didn't sell!

• The seller now states the the heads have screw in rocker studs and recesses for the valve springs. He is offering pictures of this if anyone wants them. It would seem better to have left out the picture of the standard motor mounts and used the head picture instead. Of course there are still no pictures of the bottom end with the pan off so there is no way to tell for sure what is really there.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!