Why so few postings in pricing/for sale section?

• one of my favorite parts of this site is the pricing/for sale section but it seems few people post cars they find for sale in it. over the last month only 5 cars were posted by 3 different people.

i'm guilty of it myself, surfing around finding whats out there, then not posting a link to it. for anyone looking for a k code or wanting to learn more its very helpful to hear people point out whats correct and whats not.

its also good in that it gets vin's into the site, i know i've found info on a cars history by searching for its vin in this site.

everyone knows of different classic car for sale sites so by posting what we find here it'll be a good representation of whats out there and current market values.

just my 2 cents-

• Here's my 2 cents: With respect to eBay, maybe some forum members just don't want to bring to the attention of others a certain find that they may be watching in hopes that possibly they might win the auction. Personally, I have come across some very good deals where the description was too vague or even incorrect and the item turned out to be a desirable/rare part! There are some gems to be found! This could be one reason for the increased silence with respect to items out there for sale.

The last post for sales info regarding parts was 8/23!!

Edited by - SHELB66 on 09/14/2008 00:31:49

• I think Dan is specifically referring to kars. And I agree, many kars have been advertised the last few months on eBay that have not been mentioned and discussed. The discussion is the part we all learn from as well as keeping track of kars not in the registry.

• Most likely is due to low participation of the forum. With a very specialized car like a K code Mustang where very few were made, it's hard to find individuals to participate in the forum. I've watched the new SAAC forum go to very high traffic when it first went online to now having less than a dozen posts per day. Our cars are just too rare!

• Parts pricings have typically been done after the sale.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...I agree, many kars have been advertised the last few months on eBay that have not been mentioned and discussed. The discussion is the part we all learn from as well as keeping track of kars not in the registry.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The last post for sales info regarding parts was 8/23!!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Along with other site members, I would post on this site the results of many, many interesting eBay auctions for K code cars and parts. (It's why I have so many posts!) Although it took a lot of my time, I enjoyed doing this for the benefit of everyone here. Having a cable internet connection make it feasible to do the work faster...

Years ago, I was given a "special program" to upload the pictures onto this site by the webmaster because he didn't have enough time to keep up with this task. Ever since the site switched servers (remember when the site ran so slow nobody could use it?), the ability for me to <i>permanently</i> save the pictures here by uploading the auction pictures <i>directly onto the site</i> has been lost because of a program "compatibility problem" with the server. It means that any photos on this site currently linked to an eBay auction will turn into "X Boxes" when eBay deletes the auction. This usually happens a few months after the auction ends, and it will make it impossible for those who want to access these pictures in the future.

In order to get around this problem, I opened an account with a so-called "free hosting" site to maintain any new pictures for the site, but quickly discovered that there is a limit to <i>how many</i> files (pictures) they would host <i>at no charge</i>. Even though there were "mega-mega" bytes of "free" bandwidth remaining, the account is limited to <i>only 30 or less</i> "free" pictures, no matter how small the photo files are. After that number of pictures is accumulated, there is a <i>monthly fee</i> that must be <i>automatically paid</i> through a credit card account, or no more pictures can be uploaded for hosting. Needless to say, I have hundreds of photos of HiPo Mustangs and parts on my computer, and haven't any way to host them for use on this site that won't cost $$$ month after month...This outcome had a chilling effect on my desire to keep posting stuff that would "expire" after a few months.

A lot of pride is taken in keeping this site looking good. Having good pictures included in the threads makes it more interesting for all to see. But, threads littered with "X" boxes where the pictures used to be makes it look "broken". Nevertheless, I decided to start posting certain eBay auctions (with temporary pictures) for now, but dread the fact that the pictures will disappear in short order.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

How about PDFs somewhere? Is that a viable approach?

It might be, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work, Dave. In the past, I would copy and save the jpeg's to my computer. Then they could be uploaded <i>directly onto the site</i> with a special "program" provided for this purpose. The images were not "hot linked", but are actually part of the site. That's why they didn't "expire" when the links were "broken" by forces beyond our control.

In the early days of the site, the administrator had sufficient time to keep up with this sort of "housekeeping" of loading all the images directly onto the site so they wouldn't be lost, but it became a problem as more and more images became available to us. I agreed to assist, and he wrote a program to enable me to add the pictures onto the site from my computer. Having cable internet service really made the process go fast enough for me to keep up with all the data downloading and uploading necessary.

The site was forced to switch servers in March of 2007 because of a collapse in performance by the original server. I'm not sure why the "upload image program" doesn't work with the current server we have. It's not within my range of expertise to figure out a fix or "patch" that is compatible with them. So far, it's the only downside of making the switch...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!