New spark plugs

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have just changed to pertronix ignitor and their black coil.

Can anoyone reccomend me a good spark plug for this set up?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Autolite 45

Z. Ray

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Pertronix reccomends to increase gap by .005 compared to stock.

What is stock gap on a normal HiPo?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi-Po 289 .028 to .032 per Ford Mustang Shop manual

all other 289 .032 to .036 per Ford Mustang Shop manual

Z. Ray

• Installed the Pertronix exactly per the instructions that they supplied with the unit. I never ran an new 12v wire though I have heard that other people have needed to do this to get it to work properly. It has been in the car for 9 years with no issues of any kind so far.

Jack

• I also installed it excactly per the instruction from Pertronix.

I talked to Pertronix and they told me that there was only nessecary to run a new wire if the + wire on the existing coil does not read 12V.

• I have used the pertronix for 15 years on my car also. I have never had any trouble. If you use the factory hook up you are not getting 12 volts at the coil. I just wanted to know if anybody did run full 12 volts to the coil then you would get a hoter spark because you do not have the built in resistor wire.

• Mike,

I believe you will burn the coil if you have a constant

+12V on it. It's only supposed to be +12V when you start the car

and then it's reduced to +9V something. Hope I am correct now

as I take it from memory.

/Bo

• The purpose of a ballast resistor is to lower the voltage across the points and reduce the prospect of burned points. I have run retrofit electronic ignition systems (without points) in a variety of cars and removed the ballast resistors as a regular practice. In some cases the system manufacturers even advocate removal of the resistor to improve system performance. Ford uses a resistor wire, as opposed to a fixed ceramic ballast, and it is not as easily bypassed, but still doable. The intent of bypassing the resistor during starting and going directly to the coil is to offset the lower available voltage during cranking.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!