• Not a Mustang but still a K,

E-Bay Listing:

65 K Comet: Bid to $21,251.00 with BIN of $30k

Listing Info:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Up for acution is this stunning black fully restrored and very rare Hi Po Super Cyclone. Born,raised and raced in Southern California. Has original 289/271 Hi Po engine with top loader 4 speed. Larger diameter driveshaft with larger and stronger U bolts. 9" rear and 4:11 gears (now has 3:89) Former owner for safety and roadability added 65 Mustang power steering and front disc brakes. For ease of shifting a Hurst shifter replaced the Ford unit. He also added period correct Tri-Y headers with dual exhaust. Traction bars and driveshaft strap were added for occassional fun at drag strip. Mileage is believe to be original, since car was not driven for many years(history available,call). This Cyclone would be impossible to restore or duplicated for under 45K. Notice from pictures, prevous owner did not like a lot of chrome. Really gives car a more racer look. Pictures show pretty much the overall excellent condition of car. Panels below trunk have minor specking of the anodized alumimum, as does the front of rear window frames. Radio out for repair. I invite your or second party inspection of car before final bidding. Car is located in Salida CO 81201 about 140 miles SW of Denver CO. I can be contacted at 719-539-4707 or 719-221-2716 (cell). Thanks for looking ED.This car is in the 40K class with the built sheet documentation, but since it is not available I'am relisting it at a very fair buy it now price.Other Hi Po items to look for. All Hi Po were special ordered by DSO . This was reflected by 6 numbers on data plate(527208). All others had only 2 numbers. "Export Braces" or shock tower braces were bolted on instead of welded on. Also there was a 16x2 inch reenforcement plate on firewall just under the bolts of the braces. The 4 Speed is a cast iron top loader RUG-AV. Special stiffer rear springs Part #255-E4 with "ISO-Clamp and thick rubber insulators. 9 inch with tapered rear axle housing. Larger MasterCylinder and Harmonic balancer. Large 5 riveted 4 blade fan surrounded by a all metal shourd. PCV instead of the normal draft tube on 225 HP cars. Large Autolite carb with manual choke (Looks factory installed). Heads have #21, solid lifters, dual point distributor. etc. Come inspect this car and you will be convinced as I was, that it is a correct 289/271 Hi Po Cyclone.

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
    On Mar-28-09 at 13:57:28 PDT, seller added the following information:

Go to Hemmings Motor News 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Click on article by George Matter. Very good info.Many of questions and lot of info on the 1965 Cyclone Hi PO .

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…em=130295821448

• Official Post

I know this car quite well. My friend bought it over 20 years ago just because he liked 65 Cyclones as he had a fond memory of some interaction with a female in one when he was younger. The car was just in average condition with no rust. It had water running out of one of the tail pipes from a blown head gasket. When I first saw the car I thought somebody had swapped a drivetrain out of a K Mustang. He had the car for about a year and when I was working on it I found the build sheet behind the drivers door panel. Up to that point we had no idea that this car was the real deal. I added the Mustang disc brakes to it about 3 years ago. The current owner bought it from my friend about 6 months ago.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I know this car quite well...The current owner bought it from my friend about 6 months ago.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Six months isn't a very long to time to have a car like that one...It makes me wonder why the car was put back on the market so quickly. I kept my '65 Cyclone for <i>over 26 years</i> before deciding to sell it to buy a K Mustang (that I have no plans of selling anytime soon).

It's too bad the car on eBay is missing the Cyclone-specific stainless rocker panel and wheel lip trim. It would probably look even better if they were left on, and I guarantee those pieces are going to be extremely hard to find if someone would like the car to look the way Mercury intended again.

The Cyclone article referenced in the eBay listing is an interesting read, and has almost all of the information correct, although the author doesn't mention that the Metuchen Assembly Plant also built '65 Comets along with the Lorain and Los Angeles plants. A friend, who used to have several '65 Comet Cyclones, had an unrestored black one that was built in NJ. It has full documentation of it's factory HiPo pedigree, including 3 build sheets and the dealer invoice. The engine, transmission, <i>and</i> 9" rear axle are stamped with the VIN. While it is correct that <i>some</i> 271 hp Cyclones carried the "A" code in the VIN in 1965, the engine code on his car is <i>blank</i> on every VIN stamping, including the door plate, and unibody fender and firewall locations. He sold it a few years ago to a guy on the West Coast.

Unlike K code Fairlanes and Mustangs, the Comets did not have sufficient room between the shock towers to fit the free-flowing HiPo exhaust manifolds. The faster steering box also interfered, and Mercury designers were forced to fit a single exhaust-probably because of additional clearance issues with the larger capacity fuel tank.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 04/10/2009 00:28:31

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Can anyone enlighten me about the wheels on this particular car? They don't look stock, but suit the car well.

The "wheels" are actually polished stainless <i>covers</i> that fit over regular, painted 14" rims. Specific. extra-long chromed lug nuts secure the rims to the wheel lugs, and <i>protrude</i> through holes in the removable stainless covers. The result effectively creates the <i>illusion</i> of chromed wheels, which were a popular aftermarket appearance trend in those days. (Just try to find an NOS set of those special Mercury lug nuts today!)

The sharp-looking wheel covers are standard with the Comet Cyclones, and first appeared on the 1964 models, continuing through the 65-66-67 models. By using polished stainless steel instead of actual chrome plated rims, Mercury offered a much more durable solution than chromed steel wheels, which degrade and rust out over time.

• Thanks. They are the same treatment as our Australian 1967 Falcon GT wheel trims. I have a set on my '66 Australian delivered Mustang coupe and thought I recognized them.

Phil.

• RECOMMENDED TEMPLATE: Sold for <b>final sale price</b> by seller

BuyItNow set at <b>bin price</b>(also post BIN if there is one for comparison) <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>description here<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

link

I would like to have a 65 Cyclone with a hipo. This body style looks "meaner" to me than the Mustang body style. Lots of drag racing memories here.

• The new owner is the one that added that tach.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!