• My posting of this sad news comes as a shock to many of us enthusiasts here in the Wasghington D.C. area. Many of you have come to affectionally know as "Doc" either online or in person at past shows will be saddened to know that he is no longer with us. Once the owner of several early Mustangs, he was a regular here on the site buying and selling parts and htting the show scene to meet with some of you. I came to know DOC when he had his '65 Fastback at a local show and we spent some time at junkyards looking for parts. He sold the '65 in 2006 to purchase his dream car a 1970 BOSS 302 which I and others helped him rebuild the engine in. DOC had a love for kids and was a shinning star as principal at a near by Eementary school, often seen arriving early and leaving work late each day in his '97 Mustang COBRA. Recently he hadn't been himself for reasons I can't explain or know of, but he seemed to be struggling with something. Yesterday he was found in a park by, ironically, an eight year old girl. I ask that you pray for the Drummond family and remember them at this time. DOC leaves behind a wife and two small children. I'll always remember my friend for the early days as the jovial guy with a smile behind the wheel with a zest and enthusiasm unmatched. Next year when we start our engines - we'll think of you buddy. Here's the Washington Post article:

<b>Body of Cedar Point Elementary School Principal Found in Park

County Police Investigating Death of Leader, Known for 'Great Love for the Students,' as a Suicide

By Theresa Vargas

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 7, 2007; Page B05

An elementary school principal who spent almost half of his life as an educator in Prince William County was found dead in a park Monday, hours after his wife reported him missing, authorities said yesterday.

Prince William police officers said they were investigating the death of Derek Michael "Mike" Drummond as a suicide and were awaiting autopsy and toxicology reports to determine the cause of death. His body was found about 12:40 p.m. Monday in Locust Shade Park by an 8-year-old girl who was walking with her grandfather, police said.

Derek Michael "Mike" Drummond was chosen to lead Cedar Point Elementary School in 2000. (Prince William County Schools)

Parents at Cedar Point Elementary School in Bristow were sent a letter saying that the only principal the school had ever known was gone. Drummond, 44, was appointed before the doors opened in 2001 and had watched at least one generation pass through the school.

"He always had a great love for the students he was teaching," family friend Robin Sturm said yesterday at the family's Bristow home. "He knew every single child in his school by name."

About 10 a.m., Drummond's wife, Jyl, reported him missing to Manassas police. A broadcast was sent statewide, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, a Manassas police spokesman.

The school was closed yesterday for parent-teacher conferences, but officials said counselors will be on hand today.

School officials said yesterday that Drummond usually arrived at school at 6 a.m. to get his administrative work done so he could spend the rest of his time with students.

"He will be remembered by the thousands of students whose lives he touched here at Cedar Point," Assistant Principal Louis LePore said in a statement. "He was like a big Teddy Bear. He loved children and he loved his work. He brought his best to his job every day. He was a true professional."

Superintendent Steven L. Walts called Drummond's death "a tremendous loss."

"Mike was held in high esteem not only at Cedar Point, but across the school division," Walts said.

Drummond began working for the district in 1987 as a special education teacher at Yorkshire Elementary School, Prince William schools spokesman Ken Blackstone said.

Drummond went on to work as an assistant principal at Antietam and Potomac View elementary schools and was principal at Occoquan Elementary School when he was appointed to Cedar Point in 2000, Blackstone said.

Sturm, who spoke on behalf of relatives at their request, said Drummond received his doctorate in early childhood development from Virginia Tech and gravitated toward special education and gifted students -- "those who were out of the mainstream," she said.

As a principal, Drummond was not above dressing in costume for a fair or racing a miniature bike for the students' amusement, Sturm added. "He wasn't the kind of principal where kids were afraid to be sent to the principal's office," she said.

Drummond was also a father of two children, ages 7 and 11, and was constantly talking about how much he loved them, Sturm said. She remembered how Drummond acted right after the birth of his eldest.

"He just kept looking at his little son and saying, 'You're my very best friend,' " she said.</b>

Edited by - wcampbell on 11/07/2007 06:00:50<b></b>

Edited by - wcampbell on 11/07/2007 06:01:30

• I posted this on the Boss 302 Exchange and felt it should be here as well.

In shock but not suprised...

When I stumbled upon this post I was literally sickened in my stomach. I was the fellow that purchased Mike's Boss 302 and my wife and I spent quite a bit of time talking about (and even praying) for this poor fellow after we met him. We pulled into his driveway one Saturday morning and from the moment that I met him face to face, I could tell that he had troubles in his life. He never could give me a good reason for selling such a nice car and he was very short in his answers to me. Don't get me wrong, he was very nice and accomodating and helped me load the car and allowed me to clean up inside his home when we were finished but anyone could tell that this was a sad man. I reached out to him numerous times after getting the car home just to let him know that I was happy with it and to send him some pictures of things that I had done to the car and he never responded a single time. I finally quit e-mailing him and chalked it up to his not wanting to have anything to do with the cars any longer. I now regret not trying harder to talk with him. Looking back and reflecting on this, all of us should never take the people we meet for granted and if we sense something is amiss, dig in deep and find out what it is. I pray that he has found peace.

• My condolences to his family and friends. Such a tragic waste of life. Sometimes when things get hard for us, we should try to reflect on what we've done and look for the love of our families and friends. It appears from what I've read, he was a remarkable man. I pray for the child that found him and hope she isn't scared.

RIP `Doc' ,may God watch over your soul and comfort your family and friends.

Edited by - rene.pilat on 11/07/2007 13:38:52

• I'm very sorry to hear this tragic story. I didn't know DOC but he sounds like a good man who touched many people in a positive way. My sincere condolences to his family.

-Michael

• I am also sadden to hear of my friend Doc leaving us. I helped a little with the enine detailing on the Boss. He will be surely missed at the local Saturday night Burger King. I extend my deepest condolences to his wife and children.

• I too am sadden by the loss of my friend Doc. I helped him take the motor out of that Boss and put it back in after the rebuild. That was the car of his dreams. It really bothers me not knowing what went wrong in his life for him to sell that car and to not want anything to do with his car buddies. It just happened so abruptly. Rest in Peace Doc.

• I knew Doc too, tho didn't see him as often as Richard and Mike C. I was having lunch at my office in DC on Wednesday, reading the Post as I always do. Like others, I had not seen Doc in quite a while, heard he had sold the Boss, and felt instinctively something was wrong in his life for him to give up his Boss. I came across the news story that's posted elsewhere here and with the story, there was a picture. I was done with lunch, and pretty much done working then, spent the day and most of that evening hoping that "Mike" Drummond somehow wasn't, couldn't be Doc, but the smile in the picture left no real doubt. One of the joys of the car hobby is discovering other car people like you, who become your good and close friends after sharing a car show or two. RIP, Doc. Charlie B.

• Hi all, I ran across these forums doing a search on Mike. I wanted add something, both of my children attend the school Mike was the Principal of, as you can imagine it has been a devastating blow to this community. Seeing as you all had a special connection with him and shared times with him doing something he loved so much, I wanted you to know that a collection of memories is being compiled for the Drummond family. Special thoughts, letters, memories and recollections of time spent with Dr. D can be sent to the family:

C/O Cedar Point Elementary

12601 Braemar Parkway

Bristow, VA 20136

These creative gifts of words will be presented to the family to preserve these special memories that have been made. I imagine some of you may have pictures or great stories and not a lot has come in to the school yet. So if you have anything and are willing to share it, I imagine it will mean A LOT! Thanks guys.

On a lighter note, LOVE your cars! Grew up on these as my Dad worked for Ford from the mid 60's through the 80's. I'm jealous!

• To Mikes family and friends all I can say is I'm so very sorry!!I have serious issues taking care of my Disabled wife and Autistic son all by myself and I admit to having some very unhealthy thoughts at times and the complete sadness of this has touched me deeply,and is helping me to realise that there's allways another way! I deeply love my little boy,too and My tears flow when I think of his family's tragic loss(and ours too)I never had any contact with him ,but I too even feel terribly saddened by this tragedy.My deepest condolences to all who knew him,RANDY

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!