INSTALLATION OF FASTBACK REAR EXTERIOR QUARTER VEN

• I am about too fit my Rear outer Quarter Vent panels to fastback , thought it would be a good idea too place a bead of sealer around the Housing before positioning in Panel , DOES this vent normally get fitted with Sealer !!!

Appreciate some feed back thanks , Shane

• Good question. I would assume some type of sealant would be used there but, no. The 65 assembly manual shows only black out paint on the non-exposed body where the vent goes. I would be tempted to place a small "string" of sealant myself and then tell nobody (except a prospective buyer - naw).

Jim

I just went out to the garage and looked at my 66 Fastback (I got one of each, 65 & 66) and see no trace of sealant on the vent. However, I acquired three of the vent bezel inserts and all three have a "trace" of a narrow band (1/16 inch w) of something, it could be paint.

Jim

Edited by - jwc66k on 08/15/2010 11:28:49

• After having mine all apart a few months ago, I also don't see the point in adding the sealer. The drip gutter and attached hose drain should be fine to deal with any water.

• Ford used a piece of tape over the upper edge and then applied sealer on the inside piece per the body assembly manual. The drain is not documented but all three of my San Jose Mustang Fastbacks have them. On one car, the lower inside section under the vent area and over the drain hose, was a sheet of plastic (thick, like a single sheet painting drop cloth 0.003-005in) held in with tape. I don't know if that was factory or a previous owner's good idea.

Jim

• My car also has a sheet of plastic each side below the vents. I do not know how this should be fixed.

13 R Dearborn FB

Edited by - cobraboy on 08/16/2010 16:04:34

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

This is original plastic sheet and tape as shown in the assembly manual (I think!);

[Blocked Image: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/rockhouse66/DSC07207.jpg]

Edited by - rockhouse66 on 08/17/2010 09:33:30

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I have the same sheet in my car.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Could you provive some details for the clamp on the drain hose?

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It is one of those wire spring clamps, like you see on PCV hoses only larger.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Could you provive some details for the clamp on the drain hose?

Jim

It is one of those wire spring clamps, like you see on PCV hoses only larger.

Thanks. The service parts book has a worm type listed for repairs.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!