Draft Tube Question

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>Some had draft tubes. Case in point is 65Hipo's car.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Mine has a draft tube as well...Draft tubes were not exclusive to the HiPo 289 cars, but they do use a specific tube which is different than the standard 289 cars to permit sufficient clearance of the exhaust manifolds.

• Thanks for the replies, does it depend on the build plant, or year of kar? My dad has a 64 fairlane hipo and it has a draft tube, I thought it was only a fairlane item and maybe just early 65 mustangs.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Thanks for the replies, does it depend on the build plant, or year of kar? My dad has a 64 fairlane hipo and it has a draft tube...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The short answer is: yes it does, sort of...

Briefly, emission (polution) laws were introduced in the mid 60's which influenced <i>how</i> the cars were set up for either an open (draft tube) or closed (PCV) emission system. Around May of 1964, Ford re-introduced road draft tubes for cars delivered to states where it was still allowed. Depending on which state was the destination DSO of the car, a draft tube or a PVC system was installed at the factory in order to be in full compliance. The road draft tube system was banished in favor of the closed PCV system, and by March of 1965, the draft tubes were phased out of production by Ford.

• The road draft tube on a 64 Fairlane Hipo would have been attached to the intake manifold rather than the valve cover as on some 65 Fairlanes and Mustangs. The one pictured above is the type that attaches to the valve cover.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Any 64 car with a road draft tube would have it attached to the rear of the intake manifold. They were the same for Fairlane/Mustang 260/289/289 HiPos. (Falcon/Comet were different.) In Mustangs, these would all be 64½ 5-bolt motors. All 65's had the draft tube attached to the valve cover. There were three -- a 289 non-HiPo, 289 HiPo, and Falcon/Comet tube.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!