Interesting Hipo Damper on eBay

• This must have been the first replacement type C8ZE balancer. It appears to have a C8 date code. Maybe Bob Mannel can shed some light on this one.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Tom sent me an email on this. It's a first for me. Never seen one. It does look vintage (deteriorating rubber). It does have an oval "Ford" marking. Manufacturer is in stamping and casting (SD). Timing markings are typical of the replacement. Date code is probably C8 (March 1968).

I have never documented the replacement dampers for date codes, so I wonder if the step types have had post-1968 dates. This one suggests that early replacements still might have used the smooth outer ring.

Might want to start looking at date codes of any C8ZE-A damper found.

• Does this damper have any other markings at 90 degree intervals? I saw one that was similar to this in the Damper Doctor's shop a few years ago and he mentioned that it was a Shelby part. I think it may have just been a C8 damper akin to what Bob has mentioned.

Edited by - round2K on 11/28/2008 09:34:32

• I have 3 Nos Balancer info. for research

1. C8ZE-A on hub, L1 date code on ring w/step.

2. C8ZE-A on hub,C8ZE-A-6316 A 0594 on ring w/step. New NOS in box

3. C8ZE-A SD F8 on ring only Ford logo on hub w/step.

• I have had and seen this balancer on 67-68 Mexican 302 motors before.Could have also been a early replacement for the C8 step balancer as that one has been used for sure but have never seen one of these NOS in the box.

• Last weekend in Columbus, I saw an interesting HiPo Damper. The Engineering Number was <b>C7ZE</b>. I have never seen a C7 Damper and after talking with a lot of Ford "Gurus", they had not either. The most interesting thing was that when we aligned the keyways of a C5 and this C7 Damper, the Timing marks were almost 90 degrees apart- with the C7 being left of the C5??? Bob, have you ever seen one or did you see the one in Columbus?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Last weekend in Columbus, I saw an interesting HiPo Damper. The Engineering Number was <b>C7ZE</b>. I have never seen a C7 Damper and after talking with a lot of Ford "Gurus", they had not either. The most interesting thing was that when we aligned the keyways of a C5 and this C7 Damper, the Timing marks were almost 90 degrees apart- with the C7 being left of the C5??? Bob, have you ever seen one or did you see the one in Columbus?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I haven't seen one but apparently they do exist. I have a copy of the Ford engineering drawing for the C7ZE damper it has a stepped outer ring.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Yes, it did have the step down outer ring... What application do you show it for? Thanks.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The balance spec is for a 289 Hipo.

• I was not at Columbus, so missed seeing it. There is no explanation that I have for the timing marks. I wonder if it was rebuilt and someone got the outer ring on wrong? In general, I have always considered the C7ZE and C8ZE as service replacement parts. All the 1967 HiPos I have seen or heard about have the C5OE damper. Was there a date code on the C7ZE damper. Happen to get the name of the vendor? Be nice to get some pictures.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!