Hipo Fuel pump

• Hi Everyone,

I remember reading a few weeks ago about one of the members finding someone who can rebuild pumps - cant the find posting.

Is there any update?

Regards

Rohan

Edited by - Rohan on 01/27/2008 14:36:17

• Rohan,

I am the one that has figured this out. I just sent you an email.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The rebuilder has the parts access. They put the plating of the bottom section in my lap. I could use some help from Charles regarding proper plating colors.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The rebuilder has the parts access. They put the plating of the bottom section in my lap. I could use some help from Charles regarding proper plating colors.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Fred it's just zinc dichromate, though locally it can be called other things

• quote:
    <hr class="bbcode_rule" />

The rebuilder has the parts access. They put the plating of the bottom section in my lap. I could use some help from Charles regarding proper plating colors.

-Fred-

Thanks for the update on the plating Jeff. I have seen these as both a silver and gold color and my desire is to be totally correct. If it was gold, there are a number of shades of that as well.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred

How did the crimp fair after reuse?

I will not know how the crimp comes out until after they are plated and reassembled Dave. I have both the 65 and 66 styles out for this process.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

quote:

-Fred-

Thanks for the update on the plating Jeff. I have seen these as both a silver and gold color and my desire is to be totally correct. If it was gold, there are a number of shades of that as well.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Fred, as soon as I clean all the grease off my original I'll send you a couple of pictures. What areas I have cleaned off all appear to have been painted blue and is silver underneath...

Merlyn

Edited by - 66KGT on 01/29/2008 16:32:11

Fred, as soon as I clean all the grease off my original I'll send you a couple of pictures. What areas I have cleaned off all appear to have been painted blue and is silver underneath...

The pumps should be gold dichromate, but not with an exaggerated "pinkish" hue like most pieces done these days.

If you have silver under the paint, the unit could have been a rebuilt at some point.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The pumps should be gold dichromate, but not with an exaggerated "pinkish" hue like most pieces done these days.

If you have silver under the paint, the unit could have been a rebuilt at some point.

I don't think this pump has been rebuilt Charles, I'm almost positive it was original to the kar. 4201S, date code 22L6A. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet, I want to do this gently and also preserve any significant findings with pictures of before thru after. I don't have time to start on it till tomorrow evening with the pictures of what I'm starting with. Being painted under all the grime sure leads me to believe this pump has never been rebuilt as from my understanding fuel pumps were often installed when the engines were being painted and I sure . I can't say for sure yet if the lower end is silver or gold. The few places the grease has been scraped off it does appear silver but once I degrease it I may find something different, especially under the paint.

• Charles, if you have any part of any sort new or used that is the correct color, I would love to buy it for a sample for the plater.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred,

The fuel pump in my 65 Shelby is a NOS that I bought

from Allen Cross many years ago. It has all the

gold stuff on it including the top button.

If you send me an email I can respond with pictures.

/Bo

• Charles, I really appreciate your help on this. I knew that the color was not Hipo specific but there seems to be a lot of different golds out there.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Started cleaning up my fuel pump tonight. I can definitely tell this pump is original and was painted on/with the engine by the varying thickness of paint and in some places just a light over spray. Unfortunately the 40 years of grease over paint removed most of the original finish, even under the paint. I CAN see SOME zinc dichromate on the very bottom of the pump so I will have to conclude that being the original finish. The correct shade I can't ascertain but from what I can see on this pump I would say it was on the lighter side of gold with just a slight greenish tint to it. I'm taking pics but due to the condition of the original finish I don't think they will help much. Most of the lower end is going down to bare steel as the paint comes off so I'd assume what original plating that is left can't be used as any kind of guide.

Fred, I'd try to get a sample of as many NOS pumps for any engine that Carter supplied pumps for made in the 65 66 67 range and pick one. I'm sure they had variances from batch to batch so I don't think it's that big of deal. You've probably seen more NOS fuel pumps than any of us have so I'd trust your choice of color. I don't believe for a minute that any one shade is more correct than another. Besides, to be factory correct they should have paint on them anyway so I don't see where the exact shade of dichromate should make that big of difference.

......................Besides, to be factory correct they should have paint on them anyway so I don't see where the exact shade of dichromate should make that big of difference.

We might be "talking" about two different areas. The lower body was plated not painted 66-up on the "non-rebuildable" units.

Having dozens of NOS pumps I really don't see that much of a difference in tone or color... other than on some the "plating" is wearing or aging away.

Though some look to have "more" plating on than others.

These pictures differ allot due to exposure and lighting ... sorry

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/CarterFuelpumpbottom.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/6cylFuelpump.jpg]

Could always send you one so you can look at it in person

Edited by - J_Speegle on 01/30/2008 21:57:55

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!