Driveshaft markings

• Ok, I know this subject has been discussed MANY times here but I cannot find a definitive answer searching the forum or in the registry. I've found references to several different colors used striping the driveshaft. Pink & purple, black & blue, white & pink, green (verde) & .....

Please post here what you have found on your driveshaft, be sure to include year, plant, partial vin, and any other particulars for your kar that may help define what colors were used. Pictures would be most helpful. I am not the least bit interested in restored driveshaft pictures unless you have some type of documentation to back up the original colors. If not sure the driveshaft is original to your kar please state so.

Thanks for your help everyone!

• Yes, I found that thread but there is very conflicting information in it and the other threads I found. I am looking for someone that has a 66 DB kar that has documentation of what stripes were on their driveshaft. So far I have seen 4 different color combinations but no one has stated year of kar or which plant....

• From the original Ford Motor Company released engineering drawing for the Hipo driveshaft assembly engineering part# C4ZW-4602-E (2)paint bands 1" wide for identification approximatetly in the center of the tube GREEN & VERT.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

From the original Ford Motor Company released engineering drawing for the Hipo driveshaft assembly engineering part# C4ZW-4602-E (2)paint bands 1" wide for identification approximatetly in the center of the tube GREEN & VERT.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

But that doesn't match what others have posted they have found, nor does it match what is suggested in the registry. Gene has a totally different stripe picture from his kar posted posted on the site as do others I found doing a search. The registry is not definitive, nor or the engineering drawings. I want to know what others have found out there in the real world as it appears there are several markings that were applied. What plant the kars came from and production date...

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Was that drawing posted here somewhere a while back? I'd be intereseted in seeing what it looks like.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I snagged a copy of it but is so low resolution you can't read it.

What type of color is vert?

Vert is the French word for green so not sure how much sense "GREEN & VERT" makes.

Dave
    6S1757

• The other challenge is the possibility of the engineering information never being applied to production cars or if so, how long.

We've discussed this before and no real conclusion nor enough original resources to come to any conclusion yet IMHO. Surely this uncertainty is the reason for the post above. He's hoping new facts/examples have been found since the last discussion

Edited by - J_Speegle on 12/13/2007 00:03:12

The other challenge is the possibility of the engineering information never being applied to production cars or if so, how long.

Surely this uncertainty is the reason for the post above. He's hoping new facts/examples have been found since the last discussion.

That's exactly right, Jeff. Thanks to MCA, and those who are obsessed with the details and minutia needed to perform the most authentic restorations possible, we are getting closer and closer to achieving the goal...As time passes, the original Mustangs have continued to draw attention and interest that is almost as impressive as the original frenzy that marked the introduction of Ford's most successful mark over 40 years ago.

• Again documentation was requested and presented……. I’m sorry my sharing actual confidential Ford information with the members of this forum has created such controversy.

Again documentation was requested and presented……. I’m sorry my sharing actual confidential Ford information with the members of this forum has created such controversy.

Sir I believe we all appreciate you sharing the information you found with us. Its inclusion in this discussion is valuable and helpful.

I think you'll find that many of us (can only speak for myself of course) feel more comfortable having supporting facts/findings from a number of sources that supports one another.

Again I for one appreciate you sharing. BTW could you provide what period the document you referenced applies to or was published?

Thanks again

I have an idea. Maybe Vert is a different

shade of Green and it's named Vert to

differenciate between the two.

Possibly Bo. In other references Ford used "dark" and "light" prefixes to describe different hues of a color rather than different names. One example though where they did was in the use of Azur in some references.

Looking at chips it seems that "vert" is pretty much a standard looking medium forest green.

Search continues

Again documentation was requested and presented……. I’m sorry my sharing actual confidential Ford information with the members of this forum has created such controversy.

Tom - everyone is appreciative of any contribution to the dialogue. Having the engineering info is a very important piece of the puzzle. Please continue to pitch in.

• We are definitely gracious of any Ford documentation that has been shared. As I have said before, it would also be useful to know if the documents that Tom is referencing are blueprints or design drawings. Blueprints should have more information attached to them about running changes. I'm not sure if that can be easily determined, but the actual drawing that was sent out and used to actually make the part would be the most accurate reference. A blueprint would also have to go through an approval process, whereas a design drawing might not and might simply be a snapshot from a certain time period that may or may not have been approved later.

MCA has a close contact at Ford who is looking into possibly allowing access to some of the engineering data which might help improve the MCA Rulebook.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Sir I believe we all appreciate you sharing the information you found with us. Its inclusion in this discussion is valuable and helpful.

I think you'll find that many of us (can only speak for myself of course) feel more comfortable having supporting facts/findings from a number of sources that supports one another.

Again I for one appreciate you sharing. BTW could you provide what period the document you referenced applies to or was published?

Thanks again

What data do you have to support your statements that the Ford documentation is not valid?

• Nobody is saying the Ford documentation is not valid... that would be absurd. What we would like to know is what type of drawing it is and when exactly was it made? Those 2 things can help us in correlating that data with physical data found on the cars.

The biggest cause of inconsistencies are the running changes throughout a model year. A drive shaft marking could be different from one month, week or day and/or be different at each of the assembly plants. If patterns can be found on original parts, then we have to assume that there was an engineering change that caused an inconsistency. The drawing you referenced may very well be correct... but maybe only from March-April of 1966 (random period).

Keep in mind that the data you are referencing may also be incomplete in such that you may not have a drawing that shows a later change. How confident are you that ALL of the drawings were saved?

You don't need to get defensive about this, think about it from our perspective. All we are trying to do is figure out what is right.

Nobody is saying the Ford documentation is not valid... that would be absurd. What we would like to know is what type of drawing it is and when exactly was it made? Those 2 things can help us in correlating that data with physical data found on the cars.

The biggest cause of inconsistencies are the running changes throughout a model year. A drive shaft marking could be different from one month, week or day and/or be different at each of the assembly plants. If patterns can be found on original parts, then we have to assume that there was an engineering change that caused an inconsistency. The drawing you referenced may very well be correct... but maybe only from March-April of 1966 (random period).

Keep in mind that the data you are referencing may also be incomplete in such that you may not have a drawing that shows a later change. How confident are you that ALL of the drawings were saved?

You don't need to get defensive about this, think about it from our perspective. All we are trying to do is figure out what is right.

Charles Turner finally chimed in.....Charles I'm not being defensive I'm merely providing information for the betterment of the hobby. As always someone comes forth as a self appointed expert that has to thump there chest because they think they know more about these cars then Ford Motor.

If the green & vert paint stripes colors were revised in any way from initial release to the end of production I would have stated so.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!