Intake manifold question

• Need the advise of the group on this.....I found an aluminum intake manifold at a recent swap meet. The numbers were X2MS and 94248 and had the word of either SHELBY or CORBRA on the manifold. The owner stated it was an over the counter item at ford dealerships during the mid 60's. My question to the forum is.... Would this manifold be correct for a 67 hipo at a MCA show in the street concourse class? Does anyone know anything about this item? The gentleman who owns the manifold wants $300. Is that a fair price for all concerned? Thanks

• Are you sure it wasn't S2MS? If so, and if it had "COBRA" lettering it's probably the real deal. Shelby lettering is another story. $300 seems like a great price on the S2MS if it's in great shape.

• If it has SHELBY on it it's an over the counter intake from most likely the early 70's.

If its a COBRA one then you have to determine if its an original or a repo (many versions of repos have been done over the last 30 or so years)

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Would this manifold be correct for a 67 hipo at a MCA show in the street concourse class? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

As far as I know, any changes from pure factory stock would yield a deduction in the MCA Concours Diven Division. Factory cars came with the cast iron intakes.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

As far as I know, any changes from pure factory stock would yield a deduction in the MCA Concours Diven Division. Factory cars came with the cast iron intakes.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's not necessarily correct. Dealer/Parts Counter accessories and parts are acceptable in MCA Concours. The caveat is that the accessories/parts are reasonable and not excessive. At the end of every section of the judging sheets, a judge has an opportunity, at their discretion, to deduct for excessive accessories/parts or items not available. Of course, documentation/proof is the owner's burden to submit if something is out of the norm or generally accepted. Typical examples of common dealer items are Cobra dress-up kits, styled steel wheels and dual exhaust.

• It is says SHELBY expect to loss points (since the part was not available when the car was new)

They did use the S7 and the blank aluminum intakes on the Shelbys but don't believe either made it into the over the counter packaging

If it is an original COBRA I would expect you to have the Lemans carb also since they were sold as a pair over the counter I believe at the time. Have a close friend who has a one owner (well two now) 66 K code that had the intake kit put on it when new or one year old. Pretty original car (though they did clean up the engine compartment

Edited by - J_Speegle on 04/11/2007 15:16:11

• I have a friend that has a 1965 HiPo fastback that was purchased by his grandfather and grandmother new. About the same time as the car purchase they also bought an aluminum intate and 715 Holly carb. I don't know if the intake says Shelby or Cobra. Where are you ITSAHIPO? We could use your help.

I have a friend that has a 1965 HiPo fastback that was purchased by his grandfather and grandmother new... Where are you ITSAHIPO? We could use your help.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The last time Billy (ITSAHIPO) logged on the board was March 18th, when the slow server speed was a real hinderance. Now that the site is back to normal, hopefully he'll come back and start posting again.

• Jeff I didn't say it was purchased when the car was new, I stated that it was about the same time as the purchase of the car meaning within about a year. I know the carb. on that car is period correct and date stamped as such. I also thought I once saw a aluminum intake with FORD on it but,I haven't been able to find any written documentation about it. At the MCA National show in Youngstown, Ohio two years ago there was a 65 K code Fastback with a period correct 3x2 setup. If I judged that car I wouldn't take points off for it.

• I have the FORD lettered intake on mine. It is from the old Muscle parts catalog era. Looks like a Shelby, Cobra, the non letttered version, and the F4B. I wanted period correct Cobra or Ford.

I talked to the 3x2 guy at the show. that may have been dealer installed if i remember. I think that was his dads car.

Edited by - 289kford on 04/12/2007 06:25:18

• That K fastback at Youngstown with the 3x2 was the one inside wasn't it? That's the fella I got the original Arvinode exhaust pictures from. That was a low mileage car that sat in a damp environment and lots of parts were heavily pitted underneath. Still a nice car though!

As long as the 6 pack was period correct, there shouldn't be a deduction.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!