Just Spoke to my Kar's Original Owner

• WOW!!!!!

I just got of the phone with the original owner of my Kar. My kar is Rangoon Red. I just found out it was originally Honey Gold. I have all the original paperwork and can't find any mention of the colour.

I have always wanted my kar to be original. Now I have to toss up the idea of respraying the kar to it's original colour. I don't think I've seen a mustang in Honey Gold before. The original owner said he had the kar resprayed twice as the colour kept fading.

The gentleman has been kind enough to give me his email address and he's going to send me some of the original photos he has of the kar.

I'm totally blown away and wanted to share this with you guys.

Thanks.

Regards,

René

• I have tried to locate the original owner of mine, Rene - no luck. I do know about him and his exploits at the midwest drag stips, but my attempts to locate him and his wife have bombed. The car is still in the same general neighborhood where it was first purchased, to boot.

I must say I am thrilled that you had such good luck. If he sends you some old photos, we'd like to see them posted here.

• WOW - very cool.

I've spoken to 2 previous owners of my car, but the trail turns cold at 1973 in the Oklahoma DMV. I located a phone number for the owner from 1973 - still at the same address! But never got an answer or return phone call - oh well.

Rene - you are a very lucky guy!

• I have a Honey Gold fastback with ivy green and white pony interior if you need a couple of images. I have spoken with the original owner of my car as well. I searched for him for 20 years, recently located him thanks to a phone ID program that my son had for his work as a police officer. The guy now lives in Scottsdale Az, and he was surprised to hear from someone who had his "new" car. I purchased it from the second owner, so have had visits with everyone who has owned my K car. The original owner went to Hawkinson Ford in Chicago to purchase a 65 Shelby that they had in stock, but upon arrival the car had been sold. The owners son got the car, and the deluxe interior GT hipo that the kid had on order became available suddenly when he decided to "get" the Shelby. Had a nice visit with the original owner, he said he had kept some of the paperwork for the car but due to a divorce his ex wife had "custody" of the documents. He promised to try and get them, but told me that if he expressed interest in them his ex would burn everything rather than let him have something he wanted. So far no dice, but Ihave the original owners mmanual with the owners name and old addy filled in. It is a small world!

• Hi Murf.

That's a great story. I'd love to see some pics of your car. Did you find any problems with paint fade?

To be honest, I think I'm in a state of shock about my kar. I thought it was original in just about every way. Not really sure where to go from here.

Regards,

René

• The car still had 95% of the original paint on it when I purchased it in 84. It was blotchy and had lost its true color. I repainted it then, and that job lasted until a year or so ago when it began to fail. I stripped completly and had it repainted with Sikens BC/CC this time, and it looks a mile deep. Paint has come a long way in 40 years, and this job will probably last as long as I am around. Honey Gold is a very obscure color, not too many still around. It really can "pop"! It is really a light metalic green, seldom does it have a gold look except at sunset. Never did figure why they called it "gold".

• My wife loves the red as I do, but knowing it's original colour is something more obscure makes me think I should redo it in "that" colour, I'm sure it would look totally different than the run of the mill RR.

RP

• Not sure the current condition of your car or your restoration plans, but why not just keep it RED until you absolutely need to redo it due to more complete restoration needs. I would make sure you see a honey gold car in PERSON before making your final decision. I agree that it would be cool to return it to original, especially since it is different. I remember back in the 80's they did a honey gold '65 convertible spread in Mustang Monthly. The car was a 2 page full spread and was drop dead georgeous! It certainly left an impression on me - even 20 years later. I had it cut out hanging up in my room.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Just curious - what color does your door tag call out for?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Door tag says it's Rangoon Red, so the tag has been replaced at some stage.

I will definitely leave the car as red at the moment. I could probably leave the kar for another 15 years before it needs anything done to it, besides my wife loves the red and doesn't want it changed. I love it as it is. It's actually kind of cool knowing more of it's history.

Regards,

René

Edited by - rene.pilat on 06/06/2007 17:40:54

• Hey, I talked to the original owner of my car last week, and most weeks for the last 40 years, my Dad I say keep it red if the paint is in good shape and you like it. Besides, I have found that keeping the wife happy is a good thing...

• Many cars of the late '50's and all thru the '60's were painted in various shades of golds, bronzes, greens, blues, turquoise, brown and other colors. Apparently people appreciated color and originality more then than they do now since most cars in recent years are silver, white, black or beige.

Many of the vintage cars had their color changed in later years to the then more popular colors of red or black. It's really too bad since the beautiful original colors make the car more authentic and interesting.

It would be expensive to return your car to the original color scheme. New paint and probably all new interior too? And don't forget a data plate to match! Since you like red and Rangoon Red is a good looking color... don't let it bother you that it's not original. The car is going to be beautiful either way.

• Rene,

You said that you believed the door plate

had been changed at one point, are you sure

about that? Post a copy of it and the experts

here will be able to make sure if it's a repo

or the original. The original owner may have

ordered a Honey Gold car and the dealer

repainted it prior to delivery.

Just a thought.

/Bo

• This is another case in point as to why I strongly disagree with MCA on reproduction data plates and heavy point deductions for body color that doesn't match the data plate. So much for preserving the history of these Mustangs. I find it ironic that they don't discourage changing the data plate to fit the "taste" of the owner. I feel an owner can do whatever they want to their car, including changing the body color, but they shouldn't get points deducted for doing so if it was available during that year.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Rene,

You said that you believed the door plate

had been changed at one point, are you sure

about that? Post a copy of it and the experts

here will be able to make sure if it's a repo

or the original. The original owner may have

ordered a Honey Gold car and the dealer

repainted it prior to delivery.

Just a thought.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Bo.

I'm not sure the plate was changed, but if the car was Honey Gold and the colour on the plate says "J" = Rangoon Red, then it would have to have been changed. Anyway, see the pic of the door plate above.

The original owner received a Honey Gold car from the dealer.

The owner also confirmed that the interior was originally black pony, which is what's in the car. The car was inspected by a Mustang/Shelby expert in the USA who also confirmed that the interior was original.

Regards,

René

• Hi Rene,

Sorry, but I can't see any picture in

the above post. Also, it may have been

the dealer that changed the color which

would leave your original plate (from the factory)

still there. In that case the original color

would be Rangoon Red. If that's the case

an earlier owner repainted it red because

the door plate stated that color.I think there are

other members on this forum that had the color

changed by the dealer prior to delivery.

/Bo

Hi Rene,

Sorry, but I can't see any picture in

the above post. Also, it may have been

the dealer that changed the color which

would leave your original plate (from the factory)

still there. In that case the original color

would be Rangoon Red. If that's the case

an earlier owner repainted it red because

the door plate stated that color.I think there are

other members on this forum that had the color

changed by the dealer prior to delivery.

/Bo

Hey Bo.

That used to happen??? Wow, I'm surprised to say the least!!!

Regards,

René

• Hi all.

Just have received some more history.

The original owner is sending me the original service manual for the car as well as a book that was only available with high performance cars (no idea what it is).

He's also said some mods he did was put traction bars on the car (mine has 66 Shelby TB's, not sure if he put them on) and twin 4 barrel carbies!!! He reckons you could hear the car coming 5 miles away with both the carbs open. He said the car was too fast. It was the only car he had that he was too scared to really open up. Sounds like he was quite the hoon in his days. Wonder what happened to the twin 4 barrel carb setup?

Regards,

René

• Hi all.

Have just found pictures from 1981 of my car in Red, so it has spent more than half it's life as a redhead.

Regards,

René

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!