• I've always just adjusted each set to .020 with a gap gauge and never had a problem.

If you go with a Pertronix carry a spare, or your original dual point setup in the trunk. From first hand experience a Pertronix can die suddenly. I know several people who have had a Pertronix die as well.

Dave
    6S1757

• I have had a Pertronix in my K for 8 years now and have not had any issues with it yet - it is still the best $60 I have spent on my car. I do however carry a new spare Pertonix that I picked up cheap from a friend who decided to stay with his dual point setup, just in case.

Jack

• I have installed a number of Pertronix units in customers cars. I have had 2 failures of the Pertronix units however my own Kar is still working well. I do carry the point setup in the glove box as a backup, though.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Do you use 2 pertronix units in place of the dual points??

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

You use only one Pertronix unit. The difference between the single and dual point application is the breaker plate.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>they offer 2 models for Ford, single point conversion, and a dual point conversion. I have the Pertronix I dual point conversion. I assume the newer Pertronix II has the same offerings.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The Pertronix II does have a dual point conversion but it can't be used with the steel core HiPo spark plug wires.

Dave
    6S1757

• I bought Pertronix for my 67 many years ago

and it didn't do much difference except that

I didn't need to perform the adjustments.

Bought a Pertronix coil and saw some performance

difference. Finally I bought Pertronix wires

and that made a big difference in comparison with

Marti's HiPo steel core ones. I can really

recommend to use all three together. The performance

and throttle response improved a lot.

/Bo

• I added a Pertronix to get rid of the hassles with points closing up over a period of time. Now it even seems to start easier although I do not see why the Pertronix unit would help that. Everything else in the ignition system is Ford.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I bought Pertronix for my 67 many years ago and it didn't do much difference except that I didn't need to perform the adjustments. Bought a Pertronix coil and saw some performance difference. Finally I bought Pertronix wires and that made a big difference in comparison with Marti's HiPo steel core ones. I can really recommend to use all three together. The performance and throttle response improved a lot.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Good points Bo (no pun intended). Now if we could only convince Pertronix (or anybody) to make a high quality yellow top coil and plug wires that look like Marti's HiPo steel core ones we may have a winning combination.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!