Hardened Valve Seats during Rebuild?

• Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this would be. I am getting my HiPo heads rebuilt and the rebuilder wants to put the hardened valve seats in for unleaded fuel. I tend to agree but I wonder if we would be hurting the value or originality in any way? Let me know. Thanks.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 12/05/2007 10:14:16

• I say if you will be using the car as a daily driver, go ahead and get the hardend seats. But if you are going to put limited miles on the motor anyway, just leave the iron seats alone. You shouldn't have any problems with erosion if you only drive the car ocassionally.

After all, the heads can only stay original once, and if they do wear out in the future you can just get them changed then with a valve-job.

I think they still sell "lead additive" that is supposed to replace the lubricating quality in fuel. If you're worried you could mix that with the gas.

• I had my Hi-Po heads rebuilt with the hardened seats. I suppose an argument can be made that now they aren't original, but to me it was an easy decision to have it done since I drive the car often.

Z. Ray

• I agree with the hardened exhaust seats and I have them in my Kars as I do drive them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Yup,when I did my heads I also put in harden sets.Put 800 miles on it the first trip,using unleaded gas.No need to take the chance since you have it apart already.

Greg

• As you know, the seats are only installed on the exhaust side. Make sure you get a good performance three angle valve job to help with the flow on those heads as well. Sometimes seats are installed on the exhaust and intake if the heads have had too many valve jobs or if they won't clean up because of deep pitting caused by rust.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!