1965 Options Visibility group

• Hi,

The visibility group was offered in 1965 with two speed washers, day/light rear view mirror and remote drivers mirrors.

Could my 65 K have just the two speed washers and day/light mirror and not the driver's remote or did it have to have all three?

It is a deluxe interior model which was a separate option by itself.

Thanks, Wally

• Wally, What DOES your car have at present? I think that IF it was equipped from the factory with the visibility group that it would have all 3 of the items on it.....

• 2-speed wipers with washers is a pretty good indication that a '65 had the Visibility Group... which included the day/nite and remote mirror. I would say that only the remote mirror and day/nite mirror could have been individual dealer-installed items. Conversion to 2-speed wipers would have been too complex.

• Yes, the door was replaced at some point. The car has been painted and unfortunately the holes were not moved back toward the rear. I am still going to mount the upgraded side mirror even though it will interfere with the vent window. I never use the vent window anyway.

How many have noticed that there side view mirror interferes with their vent window's operation anyway??

Wally

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

That's confusing....

My 65 F'back has the 2-speed wipers & washers but not the other 2 items.

Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd special order?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Is this an original or restored car?

• It is being restored. Almost done. 1965 Black on Black deluxe interior 4 speed GT. 6 years of restoration with all NOS sheetmetal. A lot of time and money but well worth it.

Wally

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Yes, the door was replaced at some point. The car has been painted and unfortunately the holes were not moved back toward the rear. I am still going to mount the upgraded side mirror even though it will interfere with the vent window. I never use the vent window anyway.

How many have noticed that there side view mirror interferes with their vent window's operation anyway??

Wally

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Wally, When my '65 was restored the DeLuxe remote mirror AND the manual one that was installed on the right side were mounted, (I think) by using the template for the standard manual mirror so they were mounted too far forward for the vent windows to open, and for me they are unuseable to drive with like this-there is "some" confusion as to the actual template/measurement for mounting the DeLuxe ones and as far as I know there is no mounting info/measurements included even when you buy the high end reproduction with the "Rotunda" name on it.

• Last year I purchased the "show Quality" remote mirrors ER200 and ER202 from Virginia Classic Mustangs and a very nice template was included to properly mount them. I still have the template and have taken the following measurements from it if it will help. Please Keep in mind the following measurements are as close as I can get but are to be considered Approximate

Using the base gasket as a guide go the rear of the vent window where the door is notched for the vent frame. measure 1 3/8" outward to the valley area on the top of the door, using a magic marker place a dot at that spot then measure 3/8" forward and make a smal "x" with the marker. Place the gasket on the door with the dot in the center of the largest (or 1st hole in the gasket; this is the hole that the remote cable will slipped into.From the leading edge of the gasket measure the distance to the front edge of the door. That distance should be 11 1/2" note: some gaskets may not have these holes just an open area if the gasket is just open then the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the hole is 12 7/8") it is in this location that you drill a 7/16" hole for the cable.. The mirror also has two mounting screw holes that have to be drilled as well. measure from the center of the first hole back 1 3/8" to locate the center of the first mounting screw then measure back 1 5/8" to locate the center of the second mounting screw. you will have to check to be sure for the correct drill size but if memory serves me right it is an 1/8th" drill. but double check.

I would suggest that maybe someone a Virgina Mustang might be able to help. If not I hope that this at least gets you headed in the right direction.. BTW this location doesnot interfer with the vent window operation,<b></b><i></i>

Edited by - sixfiveGT on 11/04/2010 18:19:12

Edited by - sixfiveGT on 11/04/2010 18:21:41

• 1. Cover the are in question with masking tape.

2. Position the mirror.

3. Open the wing window.

4. If the window opens, move the mirror forward till the window won't open, then back off.

5. Mark holes, center punch and drill.

6. If the window don't open, move the mirror to the rear.

7. Repeat step 3.

This ain't rocket science.

Jim

Last year I purchased the "show Quality" remote mirrors ER200 and ER202 from Virginia Classic Mustangs and a very nice template was included to properly mount them. I still have the template and have taken the following measurements from it if it will help. Please Keep in mind the following measurements are as close as I can get but are to be considered Approximate

Using the base gasket as a guide go the rear of the vent window where the door is notched for the vent frame. measure 1 3/8" outward to the valley area on the top of the door, using a magic marker place a dot at that spot then measure 3/8" forward and make a smal "x" with the marker. Place the gasket on the door with the dot in the center of the largest (or 1st hole in the gasket; this is the hole that the remote cable will slipped into.From the leading edge of the gasket measure the distance to the front edge of the door. That distance should be 11 1/2" note: some gaskets may not have these holes just an open area if the gasket is just open then the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the hole is 12 7/8") it is in this location that you drill a 7/16" hole for the cable.. The mirror also has two mounting screw holes that have to be drilled as well. measure from the center of the first hole back 1 3/8" to locate the center of the first mounting screw then measure back 1 5/8" to locate the center of the second mounting screw. you will have to check to be sure for the correct drill size but if memory serves me right it is an 1/8th" drill. but double check.

I would suggest that maybe someone a Virgina Mustang might be able to help. If not I hope that this at least gets you headed in the right direction.. BTW this location doesnot interfer with the vent window operation,<b></b><i></i>

Edited by - sixfiveGT on 11/04/2010 18:19:12

Edited by - sixfiveGT on 11/04/2010 18:21:41

Thanks Robert for sharing this info!!!!! Goes to show again that Brant & his crew at VA are top notch!!!!

Would you be able to scan and post the template or possibly send it to me?? either would be ok. (Thanks!)

• 6hypo5conv:

I sent you a PM... let me know if that would be Ok. As I mentioned the template is over 16" long and 11" wide making it difficult to scan or post.

6hypo5conv:

I sent you a PM... let me know if that would be Ok. As I mentioned the template is over 16" long and 11" wide making it difficult to scan or post.

Bob, Just got the absolutely GREAT template you sent!!! I just cut it out and held it up to my door (mirror still mounted) and the mirror is off by about 1" so I'll try moving them.....Thanks very much again!!-Rick

• I am going to remove the passengers side manual mirror and take a look to see if there are any marks in the paint from the base gasket-that one is easier than the left side remote one-I will not move them if I can't cover the holes that are there now as my car was completely restored/painted about 2 years ago.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!