K-restoration blog updated - Drive shaft stripes

• Previous discussions on this topic.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…erms=driveshaft

From the original Ford Motor Company released engineering drawing for the Hipo driveshaft assembly engineering part# C4ZW-4602-E (2) paint bands 1" wide for identification approximatetly in the center of the tube GREEN & VERT (two different shades of green).

Per another note on the Ford drawing: "After balancing-daub with yellow paint the light side of balance condition"

Balance weights can be located at the front or rear of the shaft within a specified distance from the(ends)center line of the U joints.

BTW:distance between the center line of the U joints = 49.70"

• The green stripes are consistent with the Ford doc. Appears that 'vert' means light green in this case.

I didn't find any yellow marks on the tube. Maybe the stripes on the rear were applied as part of the balancing process.

The Ford doc doesn't explain the pink paint all over the rear of the shaft.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Sure wish we had this kind of documentation for a Dearborn kar. I assume you will pass this info along to Jack?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I might send the shaft to Jack for restoration, but will definitely share the pics with him.

Has anyone looked into where drive shafts were made for Ford and if they were done at multiple locations? Were they manufactured somewhere and then balanced later, like at the assembly plant?

• From blog:

"I found yellow paint splotches all over." Not sure where you found the yellow paint....

The pink paint on the differential end of the shaft could indicate the U bolt nuts were torqued to spec. during assembly.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

From blog:

"I found yellow paint splotches all over." Not sure where you found the yellow paint....

The pink paint on the differential end of the shaft could indicate the U bolt nuts were torqued to spec. during assembly.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The yellow splotches were on the trans. yoke, not the drive shaft.

The pink on the end looks like it was applied before the u-joints were installed. I should have the original u-bolts, which I'll clean to look for pink paint. Direct link to images: http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/K_vert/12_22_09/

• The Ford drawing indicates that the driveshaft was shipped to the assembly plant as a complete assembled driveshaft DRIVESHAFT ASSY. PART NUMBER C4ZW-4602-E. The assembly includes balancing, yokes, slip yoke, tube, front & rear U joints,(the rear U joint was retained for shipping),grease etc.....Your picture shows a balance weight on slip yoke/front end of the driveshaft. Hence the yellow paint to indicate the driveshaft was balanced????

Each of the components(yokes,slip yoke,tube,U joints,etc.)that make up the driveshaft assembly have an engineering part number.

The Ford documents I have do not reference any pink paint. I would assume the pink paint was applied during vehicle assembly to indicate an assembly process was completed to specifications???

The pink on the end looks like it was applied before the u-joints were installed. I should have the original u-bolts, which I'll clean to look for pink paint. ...........

Really doubt that the pink has anything to do with the U joints. instead (like the later drivelines) would think that they might have identified the cast end so that the guy putting together the driveline could tell that particular size from the others.

Of course there is documentation for the later (66 cars) for the yellow use. The document states that its purpose was to allow a service worker the ability to reinstall the driveline the exact way it was originally. This helped (Ford hoped) address the ongoing complaints of vibration at or about 35-45 mph

• I cleaned off all the rear u-bolts that attach the shaft to the rear carrier. Did not find any pink traces at all. Also, in looking at the run lines of the pink splotches on the end, they appear to be going in a parallel direction to the tube, so I don't think they were applied once the shaft was installed in the car.

• Charles

I notice in the pic of your driveshaft that the front UJ has the circlips whilst the rear has the flush caps.

Mine is the other way round - all of the front caps are flush, with the two rears having circlips.

Is this a huge problem or can I leave it until a joint replacement is needed.

Thanks Mark

Charles

I notice in the pic of your driveshaft that the front UJ has the circlips whilst the rear has the flush caps.

Mine is the other way round - all of the front caps are flush, with the two rears having circlips.

Is this a huge problem or can I leave it until a joint replacement is needed.

Thanks Mark

Which picture are you referring to? The u-joints at both ends were outer-lock, which is correct for a '65 hi-po.

• It is the pic from the resto blog above of the K convertable driveshaft dated 30 December.

Second pic down shows front joint with spring clips on the caps with rear joint with flush caps.

As prevoiusly said my front joint has the flush caps with two spring clips on the rear caps that are not in the diff yoke.

I wondered if it would be ok to leave the front caps as they are, I did not want them to move out as they have no clips to hold them in.

I can see that the shaft has been assembled back to front.

It is the pic from the resto blog above of the K convertable driveshaft dated 30 December.

Second pic down shows front joint with spring clips on the caps with rear joint with flush caps.

As prevoiusly said my front joint has the flush caps with two spring clips on the rear caps that are not in the diff yoke.

I wondered if it would be ok to leave the front caps as they are, I did not want them to move out as they have no clips to hold them in.

I can see that the shaft has been assembled back to front.

The 2nd pic shows outer locks on both the trans. yoke and drive shaft. I'm not sure what you are referring to as flush caps? Here's a larger image of the one you are questioning:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/K_vert…20002_large.jpg

• The enlarged pic you have just sent shows the bearing caps retained by spring clips.

At the axle end of the shaft the bearing caps have no spring clips.

Mine is the other way round.

From a safety point of view should the front UJ bearing caps be retained by spring clips?

Caps flush with the outer face - no spring clips front joint

[Blocked Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/22xnwh.jpg]

Recessed caps - with spring clips rear joint

[Blocked Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/10s5h7k.jpg]

Charles

I think the penny has just dropped - outerlocks = springclips.

So springclips on both ends - I will get another joint for the front.

Thanks

Edited by - cobraboy on 01/02/2010 10:35:10

Edited by - cobraboy on 01/02/2010 10:37:22

Edited by - cobraboy on 01/02/2010 12:49:43

Edited by - cobraboy on 01/02/2010 12:51:37

• Charles' driveshaft appears to have outside lock U-Joints on both ends. Having both U-Joints of the same style would be the norm. I do not understand why your driveshaft has one of each. The yokes that they fit into are specific to the U-Joint type and they generally are not interchangeable. It would appear to me that somewhere in its past life, your driveshaft was modified. It is possible though that your front yoke is setup for outside clips but you cannot tell from the pictures.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Charles

I think the penny has just dropped - outerlocks = springclips.

So springclips on both ends - I will get another joint for the front.

Thanks

No problem, figured it might be a terminology issue. Agree with Fred that someone may have installed u-joints with inner locks. If you remove your u-joints, you will quickly be able to determine if you have the correct drive shaft.

• Fellas

Thanks

Now sorry to beat this to death but what the heck is an inner lock ?

All the joints I have ever come across have clips on the outside to hold the caps in.

Is there something that holds them on the inside or are those front caps just an interferance fit.

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!