Spare tire doesn't fit in trunk!

• I bought a set of Coker 6.95X14 US Royal("Safety 800") bias ply for my 66 K-Code restoration. I had assumed these were correct tires for concours trailered class. These are tires Coker recommends. The inflated diameter is 26.75" and will not fit in the designated trunk location - the hold-down hook won't reach the floor bracket. We tried a very old 6.95X14 Firestone "500", which came on the car. It's diameter was 24.25". It fit OK, not great, but , at least, we could get it locked into it's proper location.

Has anyone else had this problem? Isn't tire diameter important for accurate odometer readings? Is there a specified tire dia. for K-Codes? I've been told some later cars had an indent in the rt. wheel well to make more room for tire.

Thanks!

Bill

• Bill, that seems to be a large variance in size from your original. I always thought that tire sizes were supposed to be comparable between brands. I would be curious as to what Coker has to say about this.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have the original US Rubber 'Safety 800' on the original Style Steel Wheel in the trunk on my 66 Fastback. It's a tight fit as are all fastback spares but with some pushing and shoving it makes it in. Incidental to this is my tire is a 'Super Safety 800-XP'. The 'Safety 800' tires that Coker reproduces have 'ribs' on the outer edge of the side wall where the tread begins. The 'Super' tire has a smooth surface from wheel to tread only broken by the raised trademark and other letters.

Jim

• Charles, Bill actually has a 66. It is a great looking Emberglow GT Konvertible with Emberglow and Parchment pony interior.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Fred,

You probably know as much about this Kar as I do by now. You've been a great help in getting us through this project.

Our Kar has a Mar. 1966 build date. The Rt. rear fender well is NOT recessed. I'm guessing a dia. of 25" to 25.5" is the proper (max.) dia. for these kars. We're dealing with Coker now on this issue. Hopefully, they'll come up with a solution that will allow us to be concours correct - I don't think a 27" dia. tire is or would be concours correct. It looks kind of odd compared to others I've seen in photos.

It would be helpful if someone could measure the dia.of an "original" mounted 14" tire (inflated). At this point, I'm not so much concerned with odo accuracy as I am with the asthetics and getting the spare in the trunk. Letting the air out may be the only option but this tire may still br too big.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bill

<i></i>

• Just measured the height of a Goodyear 6.95 X 14 with about 10,000 miles on it. Rather difficult to be precise but 25.5 inches plus or minus 1/4 inch is my best effort.

• It is a tight fit. I have used the spare about 15 years ago. I had a flat and was only about two miles from home. The spare had been in the trunk since 1966, so I was a bit nervous. It held up fine. I don't have it there anymore. 1. The car is in need of much work (although it does run/drive). 2. I think it's a little too old now to trust. I suppose if/when it is driven on the streets again, I'll have to come up with something.

• My spare fits correctly and without a rattle. It fits with no room left, but it will, with a bit of a wiggle when it isinstalled according to the instruction sheet pasted on the deck lid. It will bolt down and all is well, but if it were much larger in diameter it would be a struggle. When putting it in place, shove it to the outside of the car as far as possible so that it touches the inner wheelhouse and the real tail light panel tightly, than hok the "J" bolt to the bracket and tighten the whole works down. Without the jack and jack handle to level the tire it may rattle. Good luck

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I assume you have a '65 without the indentation on the rear wheel well? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Must be later 66s have the indention. My Dec. 65 SJ built 66 dosen't have it but my 66 gt 350 #2015 does.

Larry

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!